First approach to Linux

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFirst approach to Linux

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello friends,

I come from more than 10 years like Windows user and maybe give a first look to Linux now is better for have a different “wide view”.

So if like me you are interesting about this, you can check here for two friendly release:

Ubuntu

Caine

See you!

Linux is different to OS X and Windows which both have a standard Graphical User Interface. With Linux you can pick your Desktop Environment (GUI). The most popular ones are Gnome, KDE and XFCE. It’s worth doing a bit of investigation first to choose which desktop environment is most suited to your needs/hardware then pick a Linux distribution. For example…

Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu)

Xubuntu (XFCE Ubuntu)

Ubuntu (Standard Gnome Ubuntu)

Ubuntu based linux distributions are a good place to start learning as they are widely used, regularly updated, and have good documentation and support.

Keymaster

I tried using Linux as a main operating system 3-4 years ago and it was a lot of hassle. Setting up small things can be very difficult on a daily-use computer running Linux, in my experience. You have to really enjoy tinkering with things. As a server though, Linux is hard (impossible?) to beat.

With that said, I am a linux novice while Ben is a linux veteran.

Participant

My favourite, when I was trying it out recently, was Mint since it came with everything I needed for work – browser, office suite that would do .doc and .xls files.

I also tried Puppy. Nice and compact.

And the Lili boot from USB tool was absolutely essential in installing and quickly comparing different flavours of Linux, which seem to come all packaged as .iso …who uses optical drives anymore?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    …who uses optical drives anymore?

Seriously, I am so happy that the computing industry is past CDs and DVDs. Optical drives make absolutely no sense now that 16gb USB keys cost $10. The days for high-capacity optical drives like Blu-Ray are numbered as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.