First Week in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFirst Week in Chengdu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’m moving to Chengdu from the UK in a month or two and wanted some thoughts on the ‘must-do’ activities for a first week or two in the city. What are the main sites worth going to? Best place to try dim sum? Where to go to meet new people (expat and native)?

Could anyone recommend a good website/agent to find a flat as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Keymaster

Our Top Ten Places to Enjoy Chengdu post is the first thing I’d check out. Click on the In Chengdu category on the blog and you can browse through some posts about cool stuff to check out in the city, in addition to here on the forum.

This is a great site for finding apartments in Chengdu but you’ll probably need to read Chinese to navigate: Chengdu Soufun

My first few weeks here I literally rode up and down the subway, and each day picked a new area to walk around in. I would try and pinpoint a couple of places to stop off at before heading out, like cafes, galleries, etc., and this really help build a mental map of the city.

There’s a surprising amount of info online for Chengdu, but also some holes too. Doing what I did, or buying a bike/scooter will expand your horizons quickly. And whether or not you want to spend time in expat joints, they too can be great sources of info. The Bookworm was my haven for the first month or so, where I met many new people, and sourced lots of helpful info.

Good luck!

Participant

hey ChrisZhimo. I too looked forward to Dim Sum when I came to china. You must already know though that the big thing in chengdu is hotpot. Dim Sum is Cantonese.

Finding, or even asking for Dim Sum, can be fun. try for yourself. Look on Wiki to see what it’s called.

Having said that, there are 2 places. I’ve put them on a map here: http://tinyurl.com/43ev7mz

Gingko, has that written on the restaurant. It’s quite high class, and within walking distance of Jinli (also marked).

The other one, I don’t know the name, is on kehua road near (to the south of) the 1st ring road. On the west side of the road and decorated with fake trees and bamboo inside. That place is a little more casual, and you’re bound to be in or around this area sometime in your first couple or weeks in Chengdu.

Does anyone know others?

Participant

I’m on the same line as the thread starter! Thanx for the top 10 places to check out, coming through it, and within 2 weeks, ill be over there!

For me, my first thing to do is get to know my employers…. Then after that, get in contact with Jamie and start training!

I might be having second thought prior to hopping on that plane, but meh, rather do something new than stay in the same place.

Keymaster

Jerry, are you training BJJ?

Participant

There is a Google Map of some teahouses at the bottom of this post: Interviewing Chengdu Comedian Li Boqing.

Might be cool to just hit them up one at a time. They’re all pretty nice places. Find a friend to roll with or bring a book.

Participant

Yes, and I’m sore as hell now.. Probably pulled a muscle.

Participant

Hey guys,

Might go to Chengdu next week, need some tips.

Should i bring cash or just my debit card? And how much is to convert it? Say if i bring 1k US, how much will they charge to convert it to their currency?

Man! My Laowai husband is so lucky to marry a woman like me, who knows where to eat!

Best Dim Sum is at Ginko Jin Ge. On the end of Dong Cheng Geng street. Cross River from Wan Li Hao, the boat shaped building.

Another place is called Yue Zhong. On Cun Xi Lu. 6th floor of Kai Yue hotel. Next to Time Plaza.

Participant

hqqcress what does “Laowai” mean? I laughed when I read that because I think it sounds like the Filipino word “laway” which means “saliva”. LOL

Also, my wife loves Dim Sum, so I might have to get more detailed directions to that place once we arrive in Chengdu.

Laowai means ‘foreigner’, so dependent on how much you stand out, you can expect to hear that being said many times, particularly outside of the city where us alien beings tread less often!

Participant

I recommend Grandma’s Kitchen, 马丘比, 浮力森林, they have delicious desserts there.

Participant

Haha! I don’t think that ’laowai‘ are like aliens.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Should i bring cash or just my debit card? And how much is to convert it? Say if i bring 1k US, how much will they charge to convert it to their currency?

Either one will work, 1k US is equal to about 6,400 yuan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.