Food supplements (protein powder)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFood supplements (protein powder)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author

lol! I just got here few days ago, and guess what. I brough a big box of whey protein from Canada. ‘coz im to spend my summer in Chengdu, so I though what if I cannot buy any safe or healthy protein powder in Chengdu? Anticipation, i brough one, though im not an athlete, but i think it is good to just keep drinking some.

@hzwerks

Heya! No, I don’t compete, but lifting has been a big part of my life over these past six years or so. I usually hit up Orient, though recently I have been going to this great little place that is actually a converted wearhouse. There are a few weight machines, a lot of racks and benches and LOADS of free weights and plates. A real lifters gym… not a treadmill to be seen lol! Only thing is that its hot as hell in there!

I can’t say that I disagree with you on anything you posted, because as i’m sure you already know, different things work for different people. For example, I stand by my scoop of ON Casein before bed. Gives me a steady flow of amino acids, BCAAs, Glutamine and protein to my muscles throughout the 8-9 hours I am asleep. Since I have started taking it, I have stopped waking up hungry and have noticed a difference in recovery times. Though I am sure some tasty beef would keep me full as well! haha!

I guess the thing about me is that I really don’t like eating, never have. Not that you would know looking at me (175cm and a cut 98kg this summer). Not huge, but not small. Even though I do get my target macros in every day, it is a struggle. If only there were a single pill that delivered everything we needed lol!

I’d be curious to see this warehouse gym. Those are the gyms I love, so long as they’re not too ratty! I used to train at Genesis in the UK, where the national powerlifting team were training. Raw as hell, chains laying about the place, atlas stones and tractor wheels out in the yard, it was awesome.

I sympathize on the ‘eating’ thing, I’ve relied on liquid nutrition myself at times when I’m pressed. I have been missing my treat shakes since I’ve been here to be honest, though I notice that fueled.cn stock All Max Whey, which is a great product for the money. ON’s Hydrolysate is an awesome protein, but it’s just so damn expensive.

I’ve always encouraged solid food first to anyone I’ve advised. There are some great proteins out there, and even new classes of protein being developed, but it’s all superfluous to a solid foundation. I’m fortunate in that I love to eat, and I can eat big, so it’s not tough for me to get what I need. Horses for courses!

Maybe we should hook up for a workout. I’m training at Mega Fit downtown, which is a decent gym, but there’s zero atmosphere most of the time.

And too many treadmills!

@tigerkuma

Fish oils are generally overpriced. I’ve seen products here running at around $50 a tub, which when you consider the quantity you’re getting, is ludicrous.

I would instead buy some Rice Bran Oil and start out with 2-3 tablespoons a day, as separate doses. Rice Bran Oil has an amazing profile, and a host of applicable benefits to your health and performance. It will soften your skin, aid your joint and muscle repair, and speed your metabolism for fat burning.

Grape Seed Oil is a close 2nd, and makes a great cooking oil over Olive Oil. Beyond that you can get additional fats from nuts, and take in the odd piece of fish here and there.

Incidentally, decent (preferably organic) eggs are a good source of fat too. And no, they won’t make you fat, or raise your cholesterol!

I have been drinking axis labs’ whey protein for about 3 months now and unfortunately, they do not have it anywhere near my area. I still have them shipped to me by my cousin who lives abroad.

Any good alternatives we have locally? Though, there are a lot of brands I see on the store, but I am scared to try them out as they could have a negative effect on me. Probably consult with my physician first.

Keymaster

Yeah, I don’t think the local alternatives are very high quality (coming from hzwerks who’s pretty knowledgeable on this subject). You’re probably best off either getting something shipped from overseas or from Fueled. The latter will probably be considerably easier depending on your circumstance.

Participant

Hi,

I have a questions, i have allot of supplemnts at the moment and is it possible to put it in my suitcase overseas? I am not sure what the laws are and do not want to buy protein and vegi powder in china.

Keymaster

@JerryS I don’t think you’ll have any problem but to be on the safe side, I’d make sure you only take sealed containers with you.

does anybody know this website?

http://www.worldhealthstore.com.cn/en

they’re based in beijing and ship all over China.

Haven’t tried yet

I don’t see it as an issue so long as you’re not passing through additional countries on your flight here. Stock up on the essentials and bring only sealed containers. Don’t forget to factor weight too, if you were bringing tubs of protein, it would run the risk of costing you at check in.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    does anybody know this website?

http://www.worldhealthstore.com.cn/en

they’re based in beijing and ship all over China.

Haven’t tried yet

Haven’t even heard of this place before, looks like they have a good selection though. I just ordered from Fueled for the first time, hopefully I’ll receive a package within the next few days.

Keymaster

World Health Store has a “Pollution Comparator” in their sidebar, haha.

“Air quality in Beijing is Good, index II (index max: V).

In France, same air would be considered as Very bad, Particles concentration being 7% higher than France max!”

My preferred protein is BSN’s Syntha 6 and Optimum Nutrition’s Nitrocore 24. I prefer several sources of protein to last me over an extended period of time. Helps with hunger and muscle recovery over an extended period of time. As previously said I would try to get my protein from food sources, but when you can’t these are excellent alternatives. You should get 1 gram of protein per lb of LEAN body mass,not per lb in general.

Participant

Instead of making a new thread, ill just post here.

I just bought supplements on iherb.com, they are a Californian company. My first initial order was a bitch to get through, why? Well i guess there were security issues with shipping to China. No not customs, but iherb’s authorization system. I had to call the bank 7 times to try to get wtf Iherb wanted, but bank had no clue wtf iherb wanted and could not help.

Other than that huge mess, my order went through (after a scathing email to them). The items on Iherb is quite cheap and ‘natural.’ I placed 2 orders with them, once my initial order comes in, ill post results.

I bought supplements (fish oil, natural tooth paste and other things). Cost per order to ship to China has to be under 80 USD and under 3lbs. Shipping is an additional 10 USD, takes about 10 business days for it to arrive.

Like i wrote, once i get the items, ill post my results, but this hella beats buying anything on taobao! I saw the same items marked up 2X! I also am buying tea tree oil, which is about 7 bux on their site and i paid 200 rmb at Wanda Plaza…. Yea rip off!!!

Note: i am not advertising iherb, but am writing my exp for those who are looking to buy supplements. I am in need of good protein material that does not involve too much ‘chemistry’ in its production. Iherb seems to fit the bill at the moment and taobao.. is too costly.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Note: i am not advertising iherb, but am writing my exp for those who are looking to buy supplements. I am in need of good protein material that does not involve too much ‘chemistry’ in its production. Iherb seems to fit the bill at the moment and taobao.. is too costly.

I would prefer to get unsweetened protein supplements as well, but I haven’t ever gotten that in China. Taobao has protein at a low price, but you have to exercise caution about exactly what you order and from who. As with so many things, the prices are either cheaper here or double what you’d pay overseas.

I get some supplements at Watsons or have bottles of Vitamin D and Fish Oil (which last a year) brought from overseas.

Participant
    Quote:
    Taobao has protein at a low price, but you have to exercise caution about exactly what you order and from who. As with so many things, the prices are either cheaper here or double what you’d pay overseas.

As it turns out a friend of mine recently discovered the official China distributor (Rightsun) for BSN and ON on Taobao, which are both top quality brands. An e-mail to BSN confirms that that seller is indeed who he claims to be. 5lbs BSN quality whey for less than 400RMB and plenty of extra supplements to choose from. They are and will stay my protein source during my time in China, for sure.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    As it turns out a friend of mine recently discovered the official China distributor (Rightsun) for BSN and ON on Taobao, which are both top quality brands.

That is really helpful info. I’ll order from there next time, thanks Vincent.

Quote:
    As it turns out a friend of mine recently discovered the official China distributor (Rightsun) for BSN and ON on Taobao, which are both top quality brands.

Damn, this cuts my recently dropped prices even further!! Guess I’ll be ordering on Taobao myself if this is confirmed by BSN as legit.

Participant

Protein smoothy shakes party coming soon!!

I’ll prob get some stuff from there too, just going to research on which one pertains to my needs with my training.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.