Football (Soccer) in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFootball (Soccer) in Chengdu

• This topic has 53 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoAM.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is there anybody out there that is interested in playing football?

A new season of the Chengdu International Football League (CIFL) will soon be starting in October and some teams are looking for new players.

The CIFL was set up last year to give foreigners a chance to play football every weekend. Its a 7-a-side league with 8/10 teams competing against each other. Each season lasts about 2 months with games on Saturday afternoons.

If you want to play football then please send an email to [email protected]

Participant

And don’t worry if you are totally shit… there is always room for you on the UK + Ireland team.

Participant

Fancy putting your money where your big American mouth is?

Participant

You mean like a bet? Sure.

I bet my team dominated the inaugural season of the CIFL. I bet your team was the bed pan of the league last season.

I bet you’re pretty disappointed that Robin is still playing on the ROTW team, and I bet youre disappointed that Alan was recruited by Iker.

What kind of wager do you have in mind? We can make it a matter of public record. How about we replicate the bet that your countryman Matt Spann lost to me last year – 100 RMB that you personally will not score a goal against my team. (With the caveat that both of us play in the game.) Any interest there?

– North American Scum

Keymaster

gud.gif

Participant

jackson-popcorn.gif

Participant
    Quote:
    I bet my team dominated the inaugural season of the CIFL. I bet your team was the bed pan of the league last season.

This isn’t Back to the Future and you’re not Biff, although the resemblance is striking.

As for the bet, I’ll see your 100 and raise another 100 that the team formerly known as UK & Ireland wipe the floor with the North American Scum.

I’m confident that I’ll score in the game, just like I done against you last year with the ‘bed pan’ team, and my team will beat yours.

Bring it on!

Participant

I’m interested, where are these heated battles taking place?

Participant

so we need to know when this is going down. and where.

Participant

Andy,

If this were back to the future, we would have to be at the beginning of the first movie, since all we have have seen so far is the character of your team getting mercilessly bullied publicly by mine. And if this is back to the future, then you must have a time machine, which would make sense, as that is exactly the tool that you will need to recapture the physical fitness necessary to challenge my team and I on the field of battle.

Im not joking when I say I don’t remember how many goals our team scored on you guys last year – was it 7, was it 8? I lost count. All I remember is that at least two of them went through your goalie’s legs, and I kicked one of them.

As far as the bets, sure I accept. 100 on UK Ireland to beat North American Scum, 100 on Andy to score a goal in the game. Both bets contingent upon both parties playing.

While you are drunk, are there any other wagers you want to make?

Two hundred kuai richer,

Eli

Participant

Physical fitness has never been something I’ve based my game on. Fortunately it is something I can easily improve with a bit of hard work. Try as you might, you’ll never be able to improve your poor passing, ball control and shooting.

I think I remember it being 8-3 last year? I certainly remember scoring against your team, even with the terrible fitness. And the Norwegian got 5, did he not? How will you cope without him?

Yeah, I’d like to make another bet. 100 says I score more goals than you over the season.

Participant

@ Ye Ming – pleae drop me an email [email protected] – I’ll put you directly in touch with a team captain.

@ Sascha – The fixtures aren’t ready yet but tirst game should be on October 13th at tai ping si. There will be games every Saturday afternoon until December. The fixtures should be ready by the end of the month.

Participant
    Quote:
    Physical fitness has never been something I’ve based my game on.

Can’t argue with you there.

Quote:
    it is something I can easily improve with a bit of hard work.

Yeah, everyone knows nothing is easier than hard work.

Quote:
    Try as you might, you’ll never be able to improve your poor passing, ball control and shooting.

I get by.

Quote:
    I remember it being 8-3 last year?

That sounds about right. A real nail-biter.

Quote:
    the Norwegian got 5, did he not? How will you cope without him?

I guess Ill have to feed the assists to Chris instead.

Quote:
    100 says I score more goals than you over the season.

You mean score more goals than me in the CIFL season, right? I suppose it goes without saying that I will outscore you in the 11 vs 11, full field, FIFA approved version of the sport that we play in the Chengdu city league, since I have done so by such a large margin over the past 3 years.

Well since I play defense and you stand in your opponents half with your hands on your knees waiting for someone to feed you the ball, its pretty safe to assume that you will have more scoring opportunities in the CIFL than I will. Still, Im willing to bet 100 RMB that you will not score more goals than me, if you are willing to bet 100 RMB that your team will concede fewer goals than my team concedes. Agreed?

Participant

haha, I’m sure my goals to minutes on the field ratio is not bad at 11s. As is my record playing directly against you, 5s, 7s or 11s.

Yeah, I’ll take that, so 4 bets in total.

Participant

Fall 2011: Team America 7 UK 0 – clean sheet for Rippey

Spring 2012: Team America 11 (11!) UK 3 – the Norwegian did score 4 or 5, but all were in the 2nd half, after the game was out of reach (obviously)

Did Deportivo Wanka manage to sign up Nick Day? If you didn’t get him and let Alan slip right through your fingers, I can’t see much hope for the Wankas….

Participant

Re: CIFL

E-mail sent.

Re: The Wager

As an American will any ill-will be extended towards me due to nationality albeit I intend to remain unaffiliated with this bet.

Footy!

Participant

@ Jacob – I sent you an email. Don’t worry about Eli and I, we’ve played football together for many years. Just some friendly rivalry. We’ll share a beer after the game (at Eli’s expense of course)

@ Seabass – Rob, Chav and Terry will be forming their own team called WMD FC. Nick and Alan are both officially with Deportivo Wanka. Having seen the N.A.S. squad, I’m quite confident about my bets.

Participant

Yeah, all bluster aside, I have nothing but respect for AM.

He is a great footballer, and his team’s weakness over the past two years are not attributable to his performance.

I admit, the addition of Nick and Alan greatly strengthens your team, and makes it into a much closer contest. But with the departure of the WMD FC guys, who else are you guy adding to fill the roster?

Participant

We had Fowler lined up for goals but just found out he won’t be playing which is a big blow.

Dave (Scottish)

Alan

Nick

Zach

Myself

Toby

Jun

Pete

+ 2 or 3 new guys

Not bad going forward but a bit suspect at the back. Kind of the opposite of your team.

Participant

Damn, thats actually a pretty good team. Not a ton of durability though.

Our team is definitely not as deep this year as in the past. Our bets could easily be swayed one way or the other by a few absences on one side or the other come game day.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.