Fracking in Sichuan

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFracking in Sichuan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/7/china-fracking-africa.html

The place pictured in the article is in Dazhou. Of the discovered shale gas in China, the vast majority of it is concentrated in two places, Xinjiang and Sichuan.

On another note, it’s things like this that freak me out. I already know just eating here is slowly poisoning me, but this pushes it to a whole ‘nother level. It’s not that I will be drinking the water, but having contaminated water being used in cooking, cleaning, and growing the crops here…

Air pollution is something you see everyday and thus has political effects. But for things such as soil and water contamination, I doubt much will be done in the same way the government is trying to battle air pollution.

Participant

Not only that, but it seems like there’s a link between fracking and earthquakes. Sichuan is probably the last place they should be doing this.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-ohio-finds-link-fracking-earthquakes-20140411-story.html

Participant

Geez people still talking about this shit? Shale gas is a fraud and nothing compared to natural one (for now).   Sure if Chinese are so dumb they can start doing that and say goodbye to the storehouse of heaven, but for now i trust in common sense of the might communist party of China 🙂

Now, once the net cost of natural gas comes close to shale gas, start worrying. Then again, probably you will have more pressing matters then 🙂

Keymaster

It’s not that I will be drinking the water, but having contaminated water being used in cooking, cleaning, and growing the crops here…

Air pollution is something you see everyday and thus has political effects. But for things such as soil and water contamination, I doubt much will be done in the same way the government is trying to battle air pollution.

Good points. It’s American energy companies that are enabling fracking in this region of China, right? I imagine there must be some significant differences between American companies involved in production rather than just domestic companies. Although both countries’ have immoral companies, China has an abysmal record of corporate morality.

The earthquake connection is concerning as well. At least this region isn’t burning coal to the extent that North China is, though.

Participant

Chevron and Shell aren’t setting up ops in Chengdu for the hot pot.

RE: various contamination – this is just 1 of many sources of contamination to think about. There are a lot of major problems with China and Water, you can see a fun little introduction to some of the topics in this youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjM3I2eoZx8

Keymaster

Chevron and Shell aren’t setting up ops in Chengdu for the hot pot.

Clearly, but what I heard is that fracking is logistically impossible for Chinese companies to perform on their own and they necessarily require the expertise of American companies. If this is true, I feel better about China having the oversight of companies with experience doing this rather than having Chinese companies take their 差不多 approach to something like high pressure injections 20,000 feet below the surface.

Participant

Ah – I was just kinda confirming in a snarky way 😀 but towards your point, while one may ‘feel better’, I doubt we’ll get much more than a 差不多 approach either way! I suppose China did get massive capital injections and entirely new villages funded by outside sources in the wake of the last quakes, maybe it’s part of their “5 year plan”…

Keymaster

Ah – I was just kinda confirming in a snarky way :D but towards your point, while one may ‘feel better’, I doubt we’ll get much more than a ??? approach either way! I suppose China did get massive capital injections and entirely new villages funded by outside sources in the wake of the last quakes, maybe it’s part of their “5 year plan”…

You’re probably right. I picture American engineers in hardhats alongside their Chinese counterparts smacking their foreheads and rolling their eyes all day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.