Free VPN Accounts from VPNTraffic

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFree VPN Accounts from VPNTraffic

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Try these server addresses: us1.vpntraffic.com and us2.vpntraffic.com

LOL, this is becoming epic!!

Well, it never worked for me …… They also ignored the last mail I sent to them directly regarding that matter……… darn it!

Participant

I think there’s some conflict with PPTP(which vpntraffic.com is using) and PPPoE? PPPoE is common here I guess? At least my ISP(China Telecom) is using PPPoE

Keymaster

Yeah, PPTP is the standard protocol that ISP’s use here for ADSL internet connections. PPTP (a VPN protocol) shouldn’t be an issue. VPN Traffic emailed me (I don’t know why) to explain why it didn’t work for zUkUnFtsBeAt (Jesus that is difficult to type) and said this:

“hi, cos vpntraffic.com dns block in china.”

Participant

Read about problems with packet loss when using PPPoE and PPTP.

Right, seems to be DNS blocked. So substitute the address with IP address:

59.152.228.238 hk.vpntraffic.com

64.237.55.227 us1.vpntraffic.com

Works fine for me. Suspecting packet loss though, because its much slower than when I wasn’t on PPPoE. Will investigate later.

PPPoE and PPTP work on completely different layers, so there isn’t any conflict between the two. PPPoE is the standard encapsulation method for DSL connections worldwide.

If you have recently switched to ADSL then the speed issues you are seeing could be due to a wide range of reasons… poor line quality, oversubscribed pipes, high contention ratio etc. It could also be that the GF is screwing with your PPTP packets.

Well my problem is the authentication. As an IT noob I assume that you only make it to the authentication after a proper connection to the server has been established. I definately able to connect but my then authentication fails.

I asked them for new login data but was ignored.

Me thinks VPNTraffic is worth 50 pence. Annual.

not even 5…….

Participant

So guys, whats the best VPN service out there? Looks like each VPN service has their own issues and problems.

I do want to youtube/facebook when i get there.

I found Astrill to be good given the choice of servers, though it wasn’t always stable on public Wi-Fi. VyprVPN is a top tier VPN, but will set you back $20 monthly. I guess the expense is warranted by how much you need unrestricted internets!

Keymaster

Yeah, the entire VPN industry is a goddamn minefield. Servers are always getting blocked, getting fixed, having problems, etc. There doesn’t seem to be a clear leader but personally I’d probably go with Witopia if I were paying.

Freedur used to be tops but the guys who run it got started on another project that has been blowing up and accruing millions of users (fetch.io) so the VPN business is definitely second fiddle for them.

Participant

As a long time VPN user and IT professional, I have evaluated various VPNs for both speed and consistency. For legit and stable VPN I suggest dropping a (very low fee) of $50 or whatever they have going on for deals *per year* at http://www.strongvpn.com which is a ReliableHosting company. Depending where you want to pipe out from you can choose which VPN server in which country you like, depending on the package you choose. I go through San Fran, which is where my company is located, and get awesome speeds — from home in Chengdu, I stream Hulu.com (US TV) and youtube.com without experiencing any sort of buffering delay and have since I signed up a couple years ago.

Any issues you’re having, they have free online support 24/7 (our timezone often gets Russkies online). Give ‘er a shot.

Interesting update: apparently many VPN sites (web sites) have been blocked, as I just found out:

China: PPTP and L2TP VPN protocols blocked – Global Voices Advocacy

advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/…/china-pptp-and-l2tp-vpn-protoc… – Cached20 Mar 2011 – However, it has been confirmed that three of the most popular VPN providers in China: Witopia, 12VPN and StrongVPN have been blocked or ..

That is to say that the website to order the VPN has been blocked, but the service has been unaffected..at least for StrongVPN. Strange. Never noticed that because I never had any problems, so never had to re-visit the site 😉

Keymaster

Yeah, a lot of VPN websites have been blocked. Freedur for a while was using https:// links for the website before they switched over to Moca entirely. With servers getting blocked though what tends to happen is a server will be blocked and the VPN provider will produce another within a few hours (or as short as a few minutes) so this change often goes unnoticed.

Participant

Not sure if anyone is able to get this a good try, but on gochengdu site, someone posted that ‘hotspot shield’ is a good vpn virtual server.

I have it on my computer (for war craft) but since im not in china yet, i do wnat to test this out. Its free, and the ads blow, but once its off, the ads dont bother you (but that damn down server page they have sux).

Keymaster

Hotspot Shield is annoying as hell. One thing I learned after trying out half a dozen free VPN’s: this is something that is really worth paying for.

I would second StrongVPN. Many of their servers allow SSTP which is very difficult to block, monitor or use evil QoS on since it uses an SSL channel on port 443 and thus looks just like HTTPS traffic.

Participant

I have a Giganews usenet account which includes VyperVPN (PPTP & L2TP/IPSec) for free (upgradeable to OpenVPN for $5/mo). If I didn’t already have that I’d probably go with StrongVPN. Of course, I’m not there yet, so I can’t vouch for how well it will work yet.

@7: I don’t have the giganews account, but I have used VyprVPN as a standalone, and it was pretty rock solid, but for a few minor issues with Mac OS X 10.5X

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.