Friends my age in Chengdu!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFriends my age in Chengdu!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi people!

I’m 24 yrs old and from Sweden, moving to Chengdu in March for 2 months to work. Looking for people sharing my interests (swimming, yoga, shopping, food and traveling) to hang around with! Lived in Nanjing -08/09 and Guangzhou -10. Pretty ok with mandarin since my family’s from China.

Oh and would appreciate some tips about great living areas! What’s good for ppl like me- young and active rather than housewife with 3 kids?

There are a number of us around. Personally I’m 22 from America teaching here in the south of the city. From my personal experience, I don’t know too many people my own age. I know quite a few in the 20-30 range, and a good number older than that. But there are quite a few in the city. If you go to the bar in the Shangri-la Hotel (called Mooney’s) on a Thursday night (Ladie’s night = free wine for women), there will be a sizable crowd. Really, just check out any number of the western bars and you should come across plenty of people that are pretty chill (everyone that I’ve met in Chengdu is laid back). There are foreign students that study at the various universities in Chengdu, which may be a bit younger but will be closer in age than a majority of the expats (I’d say average age is mid-30’s). As far as living, it depends on how much you want to spend. Yulin area is really cool; it has great food, cool bars/night scene, and it’s rather pretty with some tree-lined lanes. I think the general rule for price is that the south part of the city is most expensive, then west, then north and east. There are lots of real estate/rental agencies that can help you find a place in their area. I’ve only been here since August so others will be better informed, but these are the things I’ve found since living here. It can be a bit odd at first hanging out with people significantly older than you, but you get used to it. I’m lucky since two of the other teachers here are 22 and 23 and went to the same university as I did, so we had built-in friends. Chengdu is awesome, so welcome. Feel free to contact me with any other questions ([email protected])

Cheers,

-Peter

Ageism. Tut Tut!

😉

Hey thanks Peter! I just might contact you when I get there (it’s still a couple of weeks left and the details hasn’t been settled). My email’s [email protected]

BTW where from the US are you and ur pals?

Participant

In Chengdu, youth hostels, bars and universities, mostly young people 18-35 years of foreign and local young people.

Five-star hotels and many company foreign executives, most of them over 30 years of age

Most foreigners prefer to live in the south, such as in Yulin, Kehua, Tongzilin and other area. Here, whether food, bar, entertainment, accommodation, transport, are affected by everyone’s favorite.

Here, you can sway youth full of passion, or to have a quiet comfortable live,this city long history is the best proof.

and welcome to Chengdu!

I’m a 23-year-old American living in the south of Chengdu. Feel free to email me when you get here, and I can introduce you to the people I hang out with: [email protected].

Keymaster

Welcome to Chengdu! Do you go swimming in the winter? If so, that sounds like something I’d definitely be interested in. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything I can help out with.

Thank you, Chengduliving.com. This simple forum has led me to an extraordinary person. For anyone who is interested, I’m actually moving to Sweden this summer to live with Stina. Of all of my experiences in China, the greatest story was falling in love. Chengdu will always have had a special place in my heart, being the first city I lived in in China. But now doubly so, since it’s the place where I met the most amazing person I’ve ever had the honor of knowing.

Keymaster

Wow! Congrats, Peter.

Participant

wow man that’s awesome. *high five*

Thank you Chengdu Living, without you this wouldn’t have happened (hope the picture shows…)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.