Geek Skills Exchange

HomeForumsIn ChengduGeek Skills Exchange

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My skills: iOS software developing, programming, simple IT

I would be grateful if someone has a freelancing job. LOL

Participant

Can you tell us more? You’re looking for people to share knowledge and experience with?

Are you a student? Employed software developer? What kind of stuff do you develop?

Participant

Hi hank

Im a local, and an employed iOS software engineer, and also  do some other language programming in part time.

Most of the time I work on mobile app or game development and design, now am learning python.

Keymaster

What kind of apps do you develop?

I’m more of a designer than a coder, but I know CSS and PHP. I have interest in learning Python though, with the goal of customizing some Raspberry Pi’s – have you ever worked with those? Incredible devices that can be customized to do really cool stuff like running home servers, automation, etc.

Participant

I just do iOS app of any kind, like any app can be find on app store,  and learning python for server programming. And I googled this Raspberry Pi, its so cool, I use to do MCU and ARM programming in college . But haven’t work on chips for a years. :]

Keymaster

I just do iOS app of any kind, like any app can be find on app store, and learning python for server programming. And I googled this Raspberry Pi, its so cool, I use to do MCU and ARM programming in college. But haven’t work on chips for a years. :]

Man, with ARM and Python knowledge, you will love the Raspberry Pi. I will send you a Private Message, we should meet up. I have another person (Ben) who is very knowledgeable that I’m working on some RPi projects with.

The possibilities are pretty endless. Especially if you use the RPi with Arduino, a micro controller that’s also ARM-based. Check this out for inspiration: 25 fun things to do with a Raspberry Pi. I have experimented with a few of those already but my Linux/ARM/Python skills are pretty limited. Fortunately there’s a ton of documentation available online.

Participant

Hell yea. I like chips. That thing will just totally suck my soul in!! But, hahah, I’m not that familiar with it now.

Keymaster

Hell yea. I like chips. That thing will just totally suck my soul in!! But, hahah, I not not that familiar with it now.

Here’s some of the stuff we’re working on:

• Retro console emulator using RetroPie. I set this up a few weeks ago and it works great, with two SNES controllers. Plays Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and MAME arcade games.
    • Torrent & file server. In progress, but pretty easy to setup using Deluge.
    • iTunes server. Now that we’re all moving to SSD-based storage, having a 300gb iTunes library on a laptop isn’t very practical anymore. I use Spotify but still want to maintain my personal music collection, so I’m going to put it on an external HDD connected to the Pi which is always online and streams music
    • VPN server and Wi-fi access point. I already have all the pieces to put this together and hopefully it’ll be working within a week. This way my house will have to Wi-fi access points, one of which is automatically filtered through VPN.

The last thing I want to build, which will be a lot more difficult than the ones above, is a RPi connected to an Arduino that operates a small motor which opens and closes the blinds in my bedroom. I want the blinds to open automatically and let sunlight in the room at a time that I specify, so that I can stop being woken up by an alarm clock.

Oh, and there’s one more. The Natooke Bicycle Shop is building a stationary bicycle game called Gold Sprints. Two people cycle on stationary bicycles and race, with a monitor to display their progress along a virtual track. They have it running on Mac but want to port it to RPi so they can have a single device to operate sensors and output display.

Plenty of RPi projects to go around!

Participant

Here’s some of the stuff we’re working on

Some of them do sound really hardcore. But they ARE interesting! I’d love to get to know them.  Yeah, we should meet up,those things are sooooooo cool.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS!

This stuff all sounds awesome. I know my way around certain Android devices pretty well, but nothing developer related.

Keymaster

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS! This stuff all sounds awesome. I know my way around certain Android devices pretty well, but nothing developer related.

It’s true…I want to build Rube Goldberg-like machines which automate everything tedious or even slightly inconvenient in my life.

Participant

Well, Charlie’s work do blow my mind!

Participant

inconvenient

and machine is to make people’s life more easier!

Neat. How does the MAME emulation work via RPi?

Participant

Hi.  I’m a Geek too.  I was going to write that I’m NOT looking for work here.  HOWEVER – Given the Visa situation – I might be amenable to offers.  I don’t need the money (and a Chinese salary is hardly worth it anyway), but I might consider arrangements that help me get a visa, and either involve me in a project that I find interesting – or doesn’t demand too much of my time.

I wonder if there are any consultancy firms in Chengdu/China?  Who are looking for experts for occasional consultation?  (And can get a Visa for me?).

I’m an Adobe Community Professional, a well-regarded expert and speaker at conferences, and my current areas of expertise include Android Native Development, iOS Native Development, and Cross-Platform development (Adobe AIR, PhoneGap, RhoMobile, Marmalade SDK, Marmalade Quick).  Previously, I worked in Digital Signal Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Cybernetics, and on the telephony side of Mobile Devices – my Voice Activity Detection algorithm became part of the GSM standard.  (and was manufactured into billions of devices).

My website:  http://www.danielfreeman.asia
    My blog: http://madskool.wordpress.com

Keymaster

Neat. How does the MAME emulation work via RPi?

It works perfectly on pre-1995 or so games but it can be picky about the ROMs themselves. The MAME emulator that it runs is called “AdvMAME” and I found that it’s compatible with v0.37b5 MAME ROMs. Once you find those, it’s all good. Games like The Simpsons Arcade Game, X-Men, Ninja Turtles, Street Fighter, etc all work pretty much perfectly.

Previously, I worked in Digital Signal Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Cybernetics, and on the telephony side of Mobile Devices – my Voice Activity Detection algorithm became part of the GSM standard. (and was manufactured into billions of devices).

That is really impressive! What are you working on these days?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.