Getting a Chinese Drivers License?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGetting a Chinese Drivers License?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m trying to get a Chinese driver’s license now. I know the usual procedure, however I’ve encountered a problem because my residency permit is issued in Beijing (where my company is based), but I live here in Chengdu. I called the Chinese DMV about it, they said I must take the test in the city where my residency permit was issued.

Is there anyway for me to avoid having to go to Beijing to take the test? Any agency or specific place I can test in order to get it done here in Chengdu? I have an International Driver’s Permit, for what’s it worth. I’ve heard of some places in China accepting those and converting them for a fee.

Thanks,

ES

Keymaster

There are a number of companies and individuals which offer services to help expats get Chinese drivers licenses, I would look for those and get in touch. There have been a few which have posted about their services here on this forum, if you search on Google I imagine some of those will turn up.

Participant

I saw this topic and thought I would ask because I’ve heard that you can get a license in China and that does you for anywhere in the world? I don’t have a full drivers license only a provisional from the UK. If i got a license in China would that only cover China or could it be world wide?

Participant

Hello Excelsior, I’m in the same situation as you are. I managed to get my license done here in Chengdu only through a stupid mistake of the lady who handled my papers at the testing center in Chengdu. With lots of embarrasment etc. the big chief found a way to cover their tracks. But if they look properly at your file and at the rules, it will not be possible and you will have to go to Beijing. I think in the end that is even cheaper than going through some grey-area agent who offers to buy you a license.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.