Getting a Student Visa Outside of Universities?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGetting a Student Visa Outside of Universities?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok so I’ve decided to enroll in the 1on1 program at SWUN, but when I wanted to apply yesterday they said they might not find a teacher anymore because I didn’t book this beforehand. Although I applied online in June, they said yesterday the online application has been broken for a long time, lol.

I’ve contacted SU for the same thing, but they are quite expensive since you have to do 10hrs/week minimum of 1on1 class. SWUN is only 6 hours.

Is it also possible to study Mandarin somewhere else, on a regular base, and get a Student VISA from them?

And if so, can anyone recommend a company or share experiences?

I’m pretty sure it’s possible since I’ve seen these kind of ads going around. I’ve emailed them, but obviously there is no answer.

learn-chinese.jpg

Keymaster

I doubt this is legal, my understanding is that only state-affiliated schools (universities) are able to issue student visas for foreigners. Upon reading the thread title my first thought was “yes, you can register at university, get the visa, and not attend class”. The Minorities University in Chengdu is much cheaper than Sichuan University, if you want to lower tuition and the same visa, look into that.

Keymaster

I doubt this is legal, my understanding is that only state-affiliated schools (universities) are able to issue student visas for foreigners. Upon reading the thread title my first thought was “yes, you can register at university, get the visa, and not attend class”. The Minorities University in Chengdu is much cheaper than Sichuan University, if you want to lower tuition and the same visa, look into that.

Participant

I’ve always heard SWUFE is cheap and its easy to enroll into their program. You can ask them. They offered me a free semester if I would study for 1 year, but I heard the teachers are not as good as SU, so thats why i choose SU.

Participant

I’ve always heard SWUFE is cheap and its easy to enroll into their program. You can ask them. They offered me a free semester if I would study for 1 year, but I heard the teachers are not as good as SU, so thats why i choose SU.

Participant

SU would be my first choice as well but for the 1on1 program they want you to book at least 10hrs/week at 80RMB/class, add to that you have to study the whole semester if you want to get the student visa, you’re looking at a ~19200RMB tuition. That’s a little bit over the top for me. I’d be happy to pay aroud half of that.

Emailed SWUFE yesterday, thanks for the tip.

I just hope SWUN will still find a teacher for me, it’s much more nearby.

Quote:
    “yes, you can register at university, get the visa, and not attend class”

I’d actually go to class and study Chinese this year, which is why I want it to be the 1on1 program, lol. 6 hours/week I can manage. 16hrs+ thanks but no thanks.

Participant

SU would be my first choice as well but for the 1on1 program they want you to book at least 10hrs/week at 80RMB/class, add to that you have to study the whole semester if you want to get the student visa, you’re looking at a ~19200RMB tuition. That’s a little bit over the top for me. I’d be happy to pay aroud half of that.

Emailed SWUFE yesterday, thanks for the tip.

I just hope SWUN will still find a teacher for me, it’s much more nearby.

Quote:
    “yes, you can register at university, get the visa, and not attend class”

I’d actually go to class and study Chinese this year, which is why I want it to be the 1on1 program, lol. 6 hours/week I can manage. 16hrs+ thanks but no thanks.

Participant

Hey @Vincent, I’m curious – were you able to enroll in SWUN (or SWUFE)? If so could you share your experience with the program and obtaining a visa? Thanks!

Participant

It’s 10,000 RMB per semester at MinDa (the minorities) university for 1on1 tutoring six hours per week. They provide a visa.

Participant

Sweet – not exactly cheap… but I probably want some 1-1 tutoring anyway, and if it resolves the visa issue to boot, that would seem like a great option… thanks for the info, @trudat.

Participant

I wrote this blog post with info on studying Chinese in Chengdu a couple years ago before coming here. Might be of some help but the info is old.

If you’re going to stay for more than a semester, then I’d recommend signing up for a whole year at a time because then the visa you get is for one year. If you only sign up for a semester, the visa ends when the semester ends (and won’t cover summer or winter vacations).

Participant
    Quote:
    Hey @Vincent, I’m curious – were you able to enroll in SWUN (or SWUFE)? If so could you share your experience with the program and obtaining a visa? Thanks!

SWUN first said my application came in pretty late so they didn’t know if they would still be able to find a teacher for me. Eventually a week later they called me to meet one, which I did. He was 23 years old and his English was rather poor. He got confused when I started telling him about my expectations, and kept pushing the handbook into my face. I asked the school if they could find me someone more experienced, but I haven’t heard from them since.

I also visited SWUFE, they have a different system. You pay a smaller hourly as you book more hours. You need to book classes for a total of at least 6300RMB in order to get a student VISA. I think that price gives you like 60 hours or something, which is 2 hours per week for the semester. But you can use the hours any way you like. Or you can book more hours so you pay a smaller hourly.

FWIW I found the guy from the foreign student office at SWUFE far more friendly and understanding than the woman at SWUN!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.