Getting Steak in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduGetting Steak in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know it’s not as big here, but steak has to be one of my favorite foods and I’m sure I’ll start craving it sooner or later. Anyone know of any good places to get one?

Keymaster

First place I’d suggest is Tony Roma’s in Lan Kwai Fong.

Participant

They’re not mind-blowing but the Greenery (at least the branches in Hangzhou and Kunming – I’ve seen one here on Hangkong Lu, near Tongzilin station) do a sort of acceptable steak – it’s cheap (40-50rmb for a steak on a sizzling plate, some sauce, side of veg/noodles, a soup and a roll), filling and tender!! Their other stuff isn’t bad either. Awesome Thai fried rice..

Keymaster

That sounds like it’s worth checking out – where’s it located in Chengdu?

Tony Roma’s is a good spot, and the full rack of ribs will keep you happy too.

Another spot that manages a decent rib-eye (amongst other cuts), but fails desperately on decor (unless you’re drawing a pension) is Goodwood Coffee. They’re dotted about Chengdu, and said rib-eye is 169 RMB if memory serves.

This is a thread I’d love to see being updated regularly, and I’ll make effort to do so myself now it’s been started. Steak is available in numerous places, though restaurants tend to bump the prices considerably.

If you’re interested in cooking your own, you might want to check out K.C. Meats by dropping them an email at [email protected]

They import NZ Beef, and will provide specific cuts if you ask for them, or you can simply check out their menu. K.C. supply several restaurants in Chengdu.

Participant

Charlie – if you head east on Hangkong Lu, away from Tongzilin metro station, you’ll hit the Greenery after about two blocks (right side of the street).. I think it’s the corner of Hangkong and Xinxiwang Lu, nearish to the Oakwood.

They also do a mean pumpkin soup!

Keymaster

Awesome. Thanks!

Participant

That Greenery Cafe closed for the October holiday and never reopened. I can’t read the signs in the window, so I don’t know if it’s being remodeled or changing to something else, but it’s pretty ripped up inside.

Participant

i make a memeber card with Tony Roma, and can get discount if ur birthday. I also found this spot could be few real steak place in CD. So I praise their professional cook, and a manager award me free coffee or something when i went there….try to communicate the staff, they may send nice and easygoing feedback.

Participant

I’m a fan of Tony Romas from way back in the day – my first taste was in hollywood ~20 yrs ago, and whenever I saw one while travelling made it a purpose to go there and get my rib on.

I used to go to the one in Shanghai at least once every time I was there, and when they were opening the franchise in Chengdu it contributed to why I moved next to Lan Kwai Fong..

While I love their ribs and they use all the same sauces and such, the one time I tried their steak it seemed like the source meat was pretty thin and poor quality, maybe it was bad luck – the flavours were fine, the meat quality behind it was pretty disappointing, but I’m also a picky eater when assessing quality of foods 🙂

Brendan: RE K.C. Meats, that sounds interesting – have you experience ordering their cuts and are they generally fat (or do they let you specify things like thickness?) steaks? I’m going to check it out for sure, I’ve long desired to be able to buy *good cuts*, from a butcher who knows how to butcher properly without leaving tendony messes hidden under apparently well cut marble on top. Nothing worse than bringing home a nice looking piece of beef, taking off the wrapper, and seeing that 1cm beneath the beautiful marble on top is a disgusting thick layer of fat running cross-ways.

FYI, Ito Yokado has import cuts of steak that are nice, quite expensive, but unfortunately *thin*…they’re generally in the cooler area by the meat section in frozen packaging, same place as you’ll find their rather expensive crab.

Participant

Not sure how practical this is for you guys, but you can hit the markets and get the meat yourself. About 6 years ago i had a good friend here, Tom. He was involved with Vanilla Sky when they opened and briefly advised their chefs (he also had a small side business making sausages from his kitchen). Anyway, he would hit the markets with his then-girlfriend and buy his own meat. Although it’s tough to find in restaurants here, Chengdu does have good cuts of beef (a cow is a cow) but you need to get some kinda reationship with the butchers or suppliers.

Anyway, he would hit the markets to A: save $ and B: cos he was also dissatisfied with the steak places here (i think KC was not around then?). I remember once he spent 4 or 5 hundred kuai and i chipped in and got some good meat too (needless to say, you need a pretty big freeezer).

Like i said, maybe hitting the markets (and i don’t know where they are!) every week at 4 AM may not be practical, but it could be a pretty cool experience once or twice a year. Get a syndicate happening, and get some cow! Who knows, the markets could become a tourist attraction like the Tokyo fish market……?

Participant

@tiger

The local meat markets you’re after (not Ling Dian. :D) are located near the seafood market – just down a long side street. There may be other ones, but this one is pretty big, and you can get pretty much whatever you want – but from personal experience the butchers there, like many I’ve seen in China in general, don’t really cut in a way I’d say leaves ideal cuts of beef. I guess it depends on who you go to and how you describe what you want, but I digress – On a map, it can be found here down one of the little side streets that isn’t really visible on the map as far as I can tell, almost “inbetween” the city block, wander and find…bustling at 5am:

http://j.map.baidu.com/8EEEJ

For what it’s worth, I was extremely drunk and stumbled into this place once with a friend, and for some reason we had a butcher chop the head off a goat and carried it around for a while ~ 6am…distrubing, maybe, but true. 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    For what it’s worth, I was extremely drunk and stumbled into this place once with a friend, and for some reason we had a butcher chop the head off a goat and carried it around for a while ~ 6am…distrubing, maybe, but true. 😀

Hahaha!

Participant

Like i said, you gotta get a relationship happening with a reliable guy. If they know you are serious (and will spend serious cash) they will keep the good stuff for you. They’re making cash and it’s still cheaper for you than going to KC or a steak place. Could be a winner!?

Keymaster

My steak spot is at Qingshi Qiao, near the seafood market. There are a dozen or so vendors with all sorts of cuts in there. Porkchops, ribeyes, t-bones etc. Good prices and decent quality although I haven’t made a comparison between that place and KC Meats or any other high quality meat vendor in Chengdu.

Participant

I had no idea there was a Tony Roma’s. I’ll have to try it sometime as well as some of these other places. Someone told me Essence of Europe had pretty good steaks.

Participant

Out of my price range so I have no idea how it is, but I noticed on the menu at Casa Mia tonight that they have a Kobe steak (I forget if it mentioned the cut) for 680RMB!

If any of you guys would be ok with Lamb chops, can recommend the Sultan, they have great oriental food in general and their lamb chops for 88 RMB is definitely one of the best I have ever had! (And I am very fond of good lamb cuts in general, rare but not bloody heeh)

@ Rick: I only got as far as inquiring with K.C., but they were very helpful over the phone, and told me I could essentially have whatever I wanted with notice. Delivery is also free if you spend over 300 RMB or so, so it’s got to be worth a shot. I’ve seen the steaks at Ito, and there’s no way I’m buying them. They’re often frozen to make things worse.

@ 7: Kobe beef is highly overrated, just as it’s overpriced! I’ve eaten in some serious steak houses, and if my meal alone is costing that, it better be one big hunking piece of cow, massaged or not!! Were you eating at Casa Mia? I’m not sure if I know the restaurant. Where and what is it?

@ stina: Where is the Sultan? I’m a big fan of good lamb, though no one does it quite like NZ! A juicy shoulder of lamb comes a close 2nd to a decent porterhouse, T-Bone, or ribeye.

Sultan’s a great place.

1 Yulin Nan Jie, Jin’an Bldg., No.14, Chengdu

成都玉林南街1号金岸附14号

If you’re at the Bookworm, head down the street away from Renmin Nan Lu, make a right at the end of the block, head about halfway up that block, look (to your right) for a side street/parking lot that has shops on the righthand side, go in there, it’s a few doors down on the right. of all non-Chinese food places in the ‘Du, the Sultan is the one place i can go and never be disappointed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.