Getting Steak in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduGetting Steak in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Hi Brendan, will probably go to the Sultan Thursday night with Bgirl, feel free to tag along! 🙂

Participant

@Brendan CasaMia is basically an Italian restaurant. There are apparently 3 of them now. I first ate at the one on Kehua Bei Lu. The one that had the steak is a newer and much nicer one located I think on Sheng Long Jie just north of the 2nd ring road. I’m pretty sure it’s across the street from this place on Google Maps:

China Construction Bank‎

8号 Shenglong Street

Wuhou, Chengdu, Sichuan, China

A lot of the tables have couches instead of booths or chairs and it just seemed like a nice place to go with a group. I think we were the only ones there when we went though.

My family ate there last weekend.

Participant

The Greenery on Hangkong Lu has reopened as some new restaurant. I can’t read the signs, but they have a steaming bowl of something (noodles? soup?)

And, I decided to give KC Meats a try and ordered a kilo of ribeye. That turned out to be 3 steaks. They don’t look like ribeyes to me though. No marbling and looked more like a New York strip with the fat on the side, but instead of just fat there was a lot of that nasty silver skin that you can barely cut through. Other than that it was pretty good. Best (only) steak I’ve had in the month that I’ve been here. 😉

Participant

7 – from my understanding the new restaurant in place of Greenery sells seafood congee or something like that. Bummer!

Participant

@7

Disappointing about KC Meats, the silver skin is “fascia”, that’s what is I see as the *bane* of bad meat cuts at supermarkets here.. they always hide it so you look at the top of your steaks and see reasonable marbling and it appears cut across the grain, then you pull it out of the pack and the little muscle binding tough piece of ‘silvery skin’ makes it almost impossible to enjoy the steak. Was the fascia from KC along the side/with the fat? Or was it horizontal through the meat separating the cut? Were you able to see their available meat at all, or just do all the ordering online/via mail? If they have a place where they warehouse all their stuff or something it might be worth finding…

Participant

The fascia was on the side with the fat, so I was able to trim it off pretty easily. The rest of the steak was good, but as I said, had no marbling like I’m used to with a rib eye.

I just ordered it online through waifood.com though I have previously ordered other stuff directly from them via their email. Either way, I didn’t see it ahead of time. I don’t know if they have a warehouse or just run it all out of their house or what. They seem pretty friendly so you could probably email them and ask them.

Participant

Now that I see this post, I’m hungry.

Really miss Chengdu, although I return in a day.

Quote:
    i make a memeber card with Tony Roma, and can get discount if ur birthday.

“Make a member card to get discount on birthday”, how’d that happen? Mind sharing some details?

Seems like I just missed my chance anyways 🙂

Tony Romas is overrated. Sauce is always the same. Porkchop is precooked with wired taste. Burger is ok, but doesnt worth 70kuai, sausage is cheap meat, the chicken is just bland. Service is good tho. They have crayons for kids to draw on the sheets. I buy meat from Metro. Not the imported one but the CHinese beef, it’s fresh. taste good too. YOu’ll have to trim the fat by yourself. If you are a picky eater like rick, buy the import stuff.

Participant

On the way back from Qingcheng hotsprings on Sunday, I saw a new Walmart open in the west, thought I’d see if they had any import product for sale.

Ended up finding out they sell meat, and surprisingly they had some very nice lamb leg chops, here is a photo of the chops and how they ended up… note: the sauce is a strawberry (yes, it’s good :D) mushroom gravy reduction that the chop was glazed in after being seasoned>roasted..it looks like a ton of sauce, but I actually like it on the veg and only dumped it on the chop to maintain the nice veg colours 😀 all done in 1 skillet/toaster in about 20min. Note, while these were nice chops, you need to dig around to get the good cuts. Nothin sparks one’s pride like digging around for meat at WALMART.

lamb_leg_chop.jpg

Keymaster

That looks delicious.

You never know what you’ll find at Walmart.

I was just googling about where to buy nice cuts of beef in Chengdu coz I love cooking steaks at home and I came across this thread. Moved to Chengdu three weeks ago and I’m already craving a thick, tender, juicy and flavorful steak. I shopped at Whole Foods back in the US and is it possible to find anything close to that standard in Chengdu? Thanks guys.

Quote:
    I shopped at Whole Foods back in the US and is it possible to find anything close to that standard in Chengdu?

It is possible, but none of us have cracked it yet. I’ve eaten some awesome steaks in restaurants, but haven’t found anything quite up to par when shopping for beef. The magic beef is out there though, or I wouldn’t have enjoyed the T-Bones I have when eating out.

Thanks Brendan. What are those restaurants? Are you still one of their proud customers?

This is the map link for the restaurant I’ve so far found the best steak at;

Above The World Chengdu

Some of the items on the menu are fairly pricey, but they do serve an awesome 400g T-Bone (very little bone!) at 240 RMB if memory serves. They serve both Chinese & Western menus.

You would not be disappointed with the steak being served here.

Participant

@ Mina C: Whole Foods! I love that place! People ask me what was the highlight of NYC; the Statue, Brooklyn Bridge,Empire State… I say WHOLE FOODS! Goddamn food heaven, that place…

@ Brendan: Thanks I’ll definitely check it out.

@ Ray: I love Whole Foods too! But people also love Trader Joe’s in San Francisco. I know it’s not the same thing…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ Mina C: Whole Foods! I love that place! People ask me what was the highlight of NYC; the Statue, Brooklyn Bridge,Empire State… I say WHOLE FOODS! Goddamn food heaven, that place…

Whole Foods is great but gets real expensive when you shop there on the regular. I used to live right next to one and I went there a lot.

Quote:
    @ Ray: I love Whole Foods too! But people also love Trader Joe’s in San Francisco. I know it’s not the same thing…

Beat me to it! Trader Joe’s, that is my favorite grocery store in the states. Low prices and great stuff.

@Charlie: LOL Whole Foods has a “one day sale” every week and many other interesting deals almost all the time. True that it’s a bit expensive if we have to buy everything at full price. I like Trader Joe’s coz they have imported wines at a very reasonable price. But Whole Foods has way more choices in terms of products, at least in San Francisco…

Quote:
    True that it’s a bit expensive if we have to buy everything at full price.

Vancouver has a few Whole Foods locations, and a few other delicatessen style supermarkets, all charging way over the odds for just about everything. I was always amused by one particular Whole Foods located opposite a Safeway… I could either pay $17 for a bag of my favourite coffee at the Whole Food store, or cross the street and pay $12. Funnier still were the Vancouverites paying the $17!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.