Girly Man Gym…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGirly Man Gym…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Charlie,

On wends there are a bunch of Muah Thai guys. Come check it out and get their info to where they train Muah thai. They seem legit and good (in M. Thai).

Participant

I taught Wado-Kai (Wado-Ryu in Japan) for a few years in Canada, trained for 9 – one of my “early life” passions.

http://www.shintani.ca/our-history/sensei-masaru-shintani

This was my immediate instructor for all of those years: http://www.wado.ca/reid.html — I swear when he walked, the wind broke upon his body.

If there was actual interest in learning Japanese Wado I’d totally be down with getting back into it here. I’ve just never heard of any mention of the art, so never took part in other type of class beyond introductory, where “wtf” hit me hard enough to not go again 😉

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I taught Wado-Kai (Wado-Ryu in Japan) for a few years in Canada, trained for 9 – one of my “early life” passions.

I had to google that to figure out you’re talking about karate, hahah. Did you teach kids? Never met an adult who trains in karate before.

I “trained” in tae kwon do when I was a kid, although I think trained is a very generous term to use. I did break many boards and learn to count to ten in Korean though.

Quote:
    Basic Muay Thai. Thats if the French guy shows up, he has a full time job and hard for him to show up on a regular bases. From 7-9.

I found out today that I Mexican guy I know trains there also, I saw some of his photos on Weibo. I’m gonna check that place out for sure.

Participant

Theres a mexican guy that trains there? Never knew.

The french guy teaches MMA, but if there are tons of Muah Thai guys there (from another school in chengdu), then it would be geared towards Muah Thai MMA. Last wends, there were 4 M Thai guys. Some of them spoke english too.

I wish i can make wends, but work conflicts… Which sucks..

Participant

@ Charlie RE: “Never met an adult who trains in karate before.”

US “Karate” is usually shotokan, or some localized variant of it. It’s more for show and kids, sparring with heavy pads on padded floors.. we trained without pads (just jock/mouthguard) on wood floors, but only full contact allowed to body. It’s actually more than I guess what you’d imagine Karate in the American sense, and incorporates more jujitsu, judo, weapons, and focuses on combat technique and repetition to perfection. I found it a great outlet for exercise as well. Most of the students in Victoria weren’t kids – kids were allowed to start after 8 years old back then, most were adults.

There are some KOs in competition, but it’s mostly about control and demonstration of points/ability. A KO would be considered poor control. Showing you can, by a clear blow to the face (light contact), makes a point – then it resumes. Maybe it’s not as exciting as MMA to the audience, but that’s why it’s called a martial art rather than straight up brawling technique 😀

RE: The mexican, pancho?

Keymaster

Cool clip. Yeah, that is a little different. Props.

Quote:
    RE: The mexican, pancho?

Yup, exactly. He posted some photos of him training on Weibo.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.