Good Wi-Fi Hang Outs?

HomeForumsIn ChengduGood Wi-Fi Hang Outs?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Any suggestions on good Wi-Fi hang outs? The Bookworm is nice enough, but between the wrist cut soundtrack, and the beachcomber come philosopher posse, it’s less than riveting.

Anyone responding to this, maybe include some directions or a working link to the location of each place you suggest. This would be really helpful to people arriving in Chengdu, looking for a decent hang out where they can keep in touch with peeps from back home, and maybe meet others in similar circumstances here in the city.

Participant

I’ve been in Chengdu for almost a week now and I havent’t visited a lot of places, but I do know there’s a decent WiFi connection over at Peters Tex Mex Grill. The password is “peter”. It’s a good place where the waitresses speak a little bit of English. You can eat all sorts of European food and meet European people.

Should come in handy for the first few days visiting Chengdu if you have no clue on what to eat or how to speak Chinese.

Participant

Oh and a must-have is this little “taxi-book”. It’s this neat small book made by Maxxelli with hundreds of places written in both Chinese and English. It covers restaurants, shopping, sports, nightlife, etc… You can just show the cabdriver where you want to go and he’ll know where to drive.

You can read about it here: http://maxxelli-blog.com/2010/04/taxi-book-your-destination-our-drive/

Keymaster

Bookwarm is probably one of the better places, despite the beachcomber come philosopher vibe (lol). Here are some other joints to check out though, but keep in mind that most of them are restaurants!

Little Bar (on Yulin Xilu)

Grandma’s Kitchen (on Renmin Nanlu or Kehua Beilu in Caribbean Plaza)

Starbucks (Western Tower, Renmin Nanlu)

Coffee Beanery (Fang Cao Jie, in Yulin)

Peter’s (Kehua Beilu and Tong Zilin)

It would be really great if a slick independent and modern coffee/tea house opened up in South Chengdu that was comfortable with wi-fi.

A ‘Slick Coffee House’ is something I’ve been thinking is needed here myself Charlie. I’ve been to the odd spot that’s been okay, but nothing has stood out yet.

Wouldn’t be too difficult to create something funky and slick, with Wi-Fi that doesn’t crawl when one single soul in the place decides to watch something on YouTube! Maybe that’s another venture for the future! And to be able to choose the soundtrack… No more whiny crooners at Starbucks, or Art Of Noise on repeat at the Bookworm.

Kill me now, but after my coffee at least.

Participant

there is a spot near the new Little bar, back where Yong Feng Lu hits the overpass, to the left if you are headed south. Little coffee bar, cheap, not crowded, cute efficient girl who doesn’t giggle behind the counter, pricey coffee that tastes pretty good. fast connection. i went there to avoid distraction. worked.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Wouldn’t be too difficult to create something funky and slick, with Wi-Fi that doesn’t crawl when one single soul in the place decides to watch something on YouTube!

Exactly… I’ve been looking like a place like this for years!

Not long ago I went to a coffee shop near jiuyan qiao. The owner is Sweeden and they have nice coffee and some food. It’s quiet and it looks like it has wifi, but I didn’t have my computer then, so I can’t tell you about the connection… I don’t know if it’s the place you’re looking for, but you can give it a try. It’s Kafestugen, or somethng like that 😛 It’s in the second floor of a round building in front of the xiao bei men in Sichuan Univerity.

http://www.kaffestugan.com/

Swedish owned cafe mentioned above. Fantastic food.

Keymaster

Fantastic, I hadn’t even heard of this place. I’ll pay it a visit.

Participant

I’ve been to KaffeStugen. Pretty nice, yummy, not cheap.

Anyone want to help me map out these wifi hangouts on my Google Map? I found Little Bar.

Sasha, where’s that place you mentioned? I’d like to check it out.

If anyone wants to help me map spots, IM me and I’ll make you a collaborator on the map.

Yo Charles!! Maps!! Get it!?!? Awesomes idea! 😉

Keymaster

@trudat I’d be happy to help. I’ll shoot you a message.

@hzwerks Coming up! I’ve been working on it for a few weeks. There’ll be a geo-location maps part of Chengdu Living soon. It’ll include reviews, photos of places, maps and directions, etc.

I’d be happy to help you out on this. I visited the K Gallery in Yulin a couple of days back, and it got me thinking that it would be great to have all such spots in Chengdu mapped out, even the obscurest little spots like the cafe a couple of doors along. Not only was there some decent art on the wall (there’s a great David Hockney print hanging in there!), but the coffee wasn’t bad either (illy).

Keymaster

K Gallery, where is that located? I don’t think I’ve been there.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite wi-fi hangouts in Chengdu… it’s called Ant, and it’s in the side of the Wangfu Garden apartment complex. It’s a western-style cafe (reminds me of places in LA, actually) and they have wi-fi and decent food. It’s not cheap but it’s usually quiet, has wi-fi, and really nice atmosphere. Plus they play the best music of any restaurant coffee shop I’ve been to in Chengdu. I don’t know who picks their music but they play stuff like Wax Tailor, Air, Boards of Canada… seriously impressed by their taste in music.

Must check that out!

K Gallery is right next to what I’m guessing is the ‘new’ Little Bar. They’ve currently got a selection of contemporary modern art from established Chinese artists in there until the end of the month.

I chanced upon another gallery in Dufu Park last week too. Not so hot, but again showing the work of two contemporary artists presently.

Incidentally, where is Wang Fu Garden?

Keymaster

Wang Fu Garden is in Yulin, near 1st ring road. It sits right on Yulin Xi Lu, toward the south end if I’m not mistaken. It’s a massive apartment complex that’s well known in Yulin, if you can’t find it just ask, everyone knows it. There’s a PSB station right there also, that’s where I’ve gone for years to get my housing registration done.

Participant

Anyone want to help me map out the wifi hangouts in Chengdu? Here’s my first one:

http://hotspotr.com/spot/19080-starbucks

Createa coffee/tea shop is a nice, small, clean, comfortable place with decent wifi. Reasonably priced French press coffee. It’s on Hong Xing Lu near Creative Spaces.

Also the coffee shop directly next door is pricier but also ok. Forgot what it’s called. I had trouble connecting to their wifi before though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.