Guy Fawkes Night

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGuy Fawkes Night

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Any of you seasoned Chengdu-ers know of anything happening on Guy Fawkes Night in Chengdu?

Have there been any events in previous years??

Keymaster

What do people do on Guy Fawkes night? I honestly have no idea.

Participant

Lol, didn’t think there’d be much doing. Thanks anyway though.

Have asked around and a few of us might be up for doing something. Could try to find a few fireworks or sparklers, start a bonfire maybe and get some marshmallows – maybe getting a bit adventurous with the bonfire. Could even hire Justin to do a bit of fire dancing 😉

Never been that keen on Halloween but have always been a fan of Guy Fawkes Night! Will post details of any plans anyway if people are interested.

Participant

A Guy Fawkes Night in Chengdu would be excellent! I haven’t celebrated it in many years. We could get a mini BBQ for a ‘bonfire’ & then we could roast some marshmallows! We could do jacket potatoes, soup, hamburgers, hotdogs & I have been known to bake on occasion!

YES! So up for this – i even have Sun eve off 🙂

Would love to make some toffee apples…anyone up for making a guy?

xx

Participant

Lucy, you have a day off?? Oaft! We’ll defo need to do something then.

I can confirm that Iona’s baking is fan-bloody-tastic!

Where would be a good location, do we think? Any ideas?? x

Haha! I know man! Not a full day unfortunately, but will be freeee from 6ish and very up for my favourite festival! Location might be tricksy I suppose…my flat is teeny and def will not accomodate a bonfire (even a small one)…what do people think? xxxx

Participant

luv it! lol

pic_283789.jpg

I come with a honest intention as well: have fun!

Would love to join. Can cook a little bit too.

Participant

I’m not so sure that we would be allowed a bonfire… However, we could get a barbecue to simulate the real thing! There’s a garden/terrace area in my complex. We could hang out there & use my flat when it gets later to keep the noise down. There are benches downstairs & I have plenty of chairs, plates, cutlery etc

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m not so sure that we would be allowed a bonfire… However, we could get a barbecue to simulate the real thing! There’s a garden/terrace area in my complex. We could hang out there & use my flat when it gets later to keep the noise down. There are benches downstairs & I have plenty of chairs, plates, cutlery etc

I’ve had a 7+ foot high bonfire on my roof before, no big deal….

Ok, yeah, the fire department showed up with multiple fire trucks, ready to kick my door down. But when they saw that it was a group of foreigners and the bonfire had already been reduced to ashes they left politely.

Awwwww. Poor neighbors. Must be freaking out. Did you make it to the cdtv news for that story? ^_^

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Awwwww. Poor neighbors. Must be freaking out. Did you make it to the cdtv news for that story? ^_^

Considering I was on the roof I doubt anyone within a block or two saw it. It wasn’t on TV as far as I know but had the building actually been on fire, they would have gotten there far too late anyway. I had a fire extinguisher nearby but the fire had naturally exhausted by the time they got there.

When they arrived, the scene was pretty funny. They come up to the roof with masks and everything on to see three foreigners and one Chinese person standing around a pile of ashes. And then a dialogue that went like this:

“哎噢,外国人!Was there a fire here?”

“Yes”

“… Don’t…. don’t do that”

“Okay”

: firemen slowly back away :

It was probably the ppl who lived one or two blocks away saw the fire and called the firemen. And took them probably an hour or two struggling in the traffic then finally made it there. I bet when they must be so pissed when they saw it was just a bonfire.

But we can plan a camping trip to a headpond nearby and have a bonfire and BBQ stuff.

Bahaha! Charlie that is genius. Just made me snort out loud in the office.

Iona, sounds brilliant! Will come bearing toffee apples 🙂

Participant

OK, so Guy Fawkes Night is a day early on Sunday late afternoon/early evening at mine in Yulin. If you want to come, pm me & I’ll give you my number & address, you can also contact Sandi as I’m mega busy & am not always good about replying quickly.

I need someone to sort out the bbq & also fireworks & sparklers.

I will bake something & make some jacket potatoes & maybe soup.

If you want to come, it would be great if you could bring some food & drinks for everyone!

Participant

Mighty good of you to have us at your place Iona! Am looking forward to it already.

Okay, so I have been set the task of finding sparklers, fireworks etc (hope I don’t have to set the fecking things off), and also a barbeque… and I haven’t a bloody clue where to start. Think Iona is going to point me in the right direction, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll be out and about on Saturday so will see what I can find. Will also try to bring some food and drink along.

Pretty sure just about everyone has my number by now, but if not, here it is – 1 862 826 7204.

Thanks Vic!

Quote:
    “哎噢,外国人!Was there a fire here?”

“Yes”

“… Don’t…. don’t do that”

“Okay”

: firemen slowly back away :

Haha! Very good.

Hot off the press..

Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off. 😉 x

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.