Gym Recommendations in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduGym Recommendations in Chengdu?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a gym? I will be in Chengdu for the next 6 months and live only a 10 minute walk away from Tongzilin Metro station. I would like a place that I can get to easily, it can be within walking distance or accessible by the Metro!

It would also be nice to have a gym buddy, if anyone is interested! 🙂

Participant

why so many foreigners like to live at tongzilin?

Participant

There’s a very decent gym on the 3rd floor above the Tongzilin Carrefour. It used to be “Orient Gym”, but I think they recently changed their name. Maybe not.

Check out these threads, all the info you need is right there:
    Working out in Chengdu (Tongzilin gym)
    Locating a gym in Chengdu

Participant

Thanks Vincent! I’ll definitely check the gyms out this week. The one above Carrefour sounds good, I think it’s about a 20minute walk from the place I work. Do you know when the peak times are? Want to try and avoid it!

Keymaster

Thanks Vincent! I’ll definitely check the gyms out this week. The one above Carrefour sounds good, I think it’s about a 20minute walk from the place I work. Do you know when the peak times are? Want to try and avoid it!

I’ve been a member at a few gyms in Chengdu and the peak times seem to be weekdays from 5:30 – 7:30pm after most people finish work.

Participant

Thanks Charlie! That’s good to know. Really want to get back into training and eat better! I feel I eat too little since I’ve been here.

Participant

Hi, sorry to restart this topic but a good place I have found and joined is the Megafit gym in the TopCity Centre, about 20 minute walk from Tianfu Square and close to Chunxi Lu – 688 for 4 months not too bad can’t complain.

Participant

Excellent gym, but rumors continue to circulate that it will close later this year. I hope not….

Participant

I’d not heard about that Ray, do you know why it might?

But yeah same hope it doesn’t because it is quality.

Participant

@Matt321:
    Been persistent rumors for about a year now. One guy told me it was gonna be turned into a restaurant. When I re-joined a few months back they were only allowing 10 months maximum, which kinda suggests that the future is in doubt. But agreed, it’s a good place o train, especially during non-peak times…

Participant

@Ray

Ok thanks for that, won’t be extending it after it runs out then just in case! Though I would hope that 3 more months from now will be ok,

Yeah you do notice how quiet it is a lot of the time in there, back home gyms are never this quiet.

Participant

@Matt321:
    Depends when you go. it can be stupidly crowded in the evenings. My favorite time is when they open; weights are on the racks (that doesn’t last long once the man/children arrive) and i don’t have to constantly ask cell-phone toting guys “are you using this?” 🙂
    Ah, first-world problems in a second (third?) world country 🙂

Participant

Are gyms expensive in Chengdu ?  here in the UK i pay the equivalent of 1800 RMB for 1 year

Participant

@Ray

Yep know that feeling, wherever you go in the world it seems there will be mobile using people at the gym – very frustrating!

@StormerJack

£180 for a year? That’s unbelievable for the UK, I’ve paid between £20-£25 a month at home which is £240-£300 a year and thought that was decent, though £20 a month is a lot cheaper than other gyms around at home.

It comes down to bartering since I got 688 for 4 months even though originally it was 688 for 3 at Megafit. Generally that seems like the average price, though you will probably get better value for a year or 2 years membership paid up front.

Participant

why do all gyms open at like 10am in Chengdu.

Why can’t any gyms open at like 5am for people like me who don’t sleep?

Participant

@baoluo

haha I have the same problem. Especially at weekends not opening till like Midday, it needs to be at like 8 or 9am at least.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.