Halloween Costumes / Party?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHalloween Costumes / Party?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Considering Halloween is one of my favorite holidays back home, I am curious if it is popular in China and in Chengdu.

Are there costume stores in Chengdu? Maybe there are some that spring up for the holiday and then disappear like they do back in the US? I have yet to encounter any around the city…

Secondly, do clubs and other establishments host Halloween parties?

Besides house parties, I heard LKF will do Halloween.

Participant

The only costumes I’ve seen so far have been on Shanxi Lu, the first road south of Tianfu Square (runs west off Renmin Lu). The are a whole bunch of shops that rent and sell mostly Chinese traditional costume stuff, however I did see a few monster masks, some pretty crazy wigs and an array of over the top dresses, suits, etc. You gotta take a couple hours to look carefully through each shop, I think. One of the stores – I think it was #106? was a bit bigger and had full animal costumes and lots more variety. Worth checking out.

Have also heard Metro carries Halloween stuff seasonally.. not sure if it’s true though. Maybe WalMart too?

Disco Death at Panda on Friday night – think it will be Halloween-y. Also heard Jellyfish is doing a Halloween party somewhere by a lake or something on Sat. No idea if this is true. But could be sick!

Worst comes to worst there’s always the Twilight movie fest at Regal Master!!!!

Keymaster

I went to that costume street the other day with Justin and Rachel. Most of the shops there sell the same thing, it’s about 90% womens costumes and then plastic armor or Tang dynasty robes for men. One of the larger shops had seamstresses making things right there in the shop though so they could probably do something custom. I’m leaning towards hitting up Taobao for fake blood, masks etc since I don’t think you can easily find that stuff in Chengdu.

Also, check out Disco Death on Friday. Come in costume and get in for free. Plus there’s a bad ass drum & bass DJ coming from Guangzhou. Traditionally, China does not really celebrate the tradition of halloween costumes.

UI2XN.jpg

Participant

^ Is it the same location as the Xiong Mao Panda Festival with DJ Shadow?

Because the DD website says “DD takes place at Panda Club (formerly known as Xiong Mao) which is located in the South of Chengdu approximately a five minute walk from the US Consulate on Kehua Beilu.”

Shadow was more like a 30 minutes drive from the US Consulate 🙂

Keymaster
    Quote:
    ^ Is it the same location as the Xiong Mao Panda Festival with DJ Shadow?

Yes. Same place as DJ Shadow. The flyer has the correct address on it: 熊猫俱乐部东区音乐公园

Thanks for pointing out that error on the website, I’ll fix that now.

Participant

What is the DD? Sorry. am a newbie here.

Participant

RE: Jellyfish party – I got a call about it the other day, but don’t know the details yet. Basically what I heard was they are ‘renting’ out a section of a park by 2nd ring road and hosting a party there.. bar DJ etc. I’m 100% down with halloween outdoors rather than in a club 😀 I’ll get deets and paste them here soon, wherever it is I’ll be headin there.

Participant

I love me some good halloween party, its the only true holiday that i really celebrate!!! Plus the climate here is more bearable than the states, meaning i can skim to make my outfit more realistic!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    What is the DD? Sorry. am a newbie here.

It’s a monthly party in Chengdu hosted at Xiong Mao club featuring dope DJs from around China. More info here: Disco Death

If you want to hear what the most cutting edge DJ’s in BJ, SH, HK etc are rocking, check out Disco Death. If you’re looking for a frat party, Jellyfish is your spot.

who wants to dress up like the Chairman Mao’s army or the red army let me know, I’ll check out the costumes.

Is it lame? Cuz all my Chinese girlfriends dont wanna do it. Not sexy enough. They all wanna be the sexy witch or sexy zombi or sexy ferry or sexy something. Fine, I’ll compromise. We can be the sexy redarmy!

I’d be zombie Mao if I had a sexy red army to accompany me. haha.

btw, Vinster, did you ever get in contact with your friends? They PMed a few of us on here asking of your whereabouts.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is it lame? Cuz all my Chinese girlfriends dont wanna do it. Not sexy enough. They all wanna be the sexy witch or sexy zombi or sexy ferry or sexy something. Fine, I’ll compromise. We can be the sexy redarmy!

Sexy red army is a great idea. Please do that. And someone must be zombie Mao if you do that!

Participant
    Quote:
    Sexy red army is a great idea. Please do that. And someone must be zombie Mao if you do that!

you guys are sick, man! LMFAO

I went to Metro today… There is almost nothing and half of this nothing is for kids…

Quote:
    I’d be zombie Mao if I had a sexy red army to accompany me. haha.

I’m dying to see that, Chris! LMAO Please doooooo!

Quote:

Cress, that’s innovational and creative, NOT lame! 🙂

@ShingShing

You wanna join us? Bunch of ppl are gonna meet at my place for dinner then start drinking. We’ll head to the Xiong Mao around 9:30

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.