Having a Lot of Headaches?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHaving a Lot of Headaches?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is anyone else here experiencing an unusually high amount of headaches lately? My girlfriend and i have had them consistently for the past two weeks and yesterday prompted a full on migraine.

I’ve seen some studies suggesting that headaches are related to air pollution and this smog cloud that has been hovering over the city seems like a big indicator.

Of course there are other causes for these symptoms but I was wondering if anyone else out there has been experiencing this too.

Quote:
    Is anyone else here experiencing an unusually high amount of headaches lately?

No headaches, but my nose has been randomly bleeding for the last two weeks, and I never ever get nosebleeds! That, and not being able to shift the cold/congestion I’ve had all winter. Don’t drink, don’t smoke… Hmmm… Pollution much!!?

Participant

Also experiencing occasional rashy/itchy skin irritation, heard that it’s also related to the pollution – seems quite a few people also getting this issue…and itchy/dry eyes. Really hope something is being done to curb the issue here, it’s just horrible to the point where any other positives about living here are seeming questionably sufficient at best.

Participant

Just got back from riding to/from work. my eyes are messed up, it’s physical today, can literally feel it. just passed a woman on an e-bike. She was wearing a face mask, but her little girl was not. Man, i feel for you guys with kids. This shit is bad for us, but for developing little lungs, this is kinda scary. Keep the little rascals indoors you guys…

It’s really been hanging again these last few days. I’ve just been South today and I’m coughing a little more this afternoon.

We need to get those Pandas in Respro’s quick!!!

Participant

Yeah, if I had known how bad it would be on my daughter here I don’t know that I would’ve come. She was never sick in the 4 years before moving here & in 18 months she’s been almost constantly sick. Now I’m practically counting down the days until we leave and just hoping there are no permanent effects.

Quote:
    and itchy/dry eyes

This has definitely been noticeable to me lately.

Quote:
    to the point where any other positives about living here…

A question that’s becoming more and more prominent for me. I’ve felt the negative effects of the environment since arriving from Vancouver, Canada just over 2 years ago. I went down with three successive viruses in the first winter, and felt like absolute crap. I’ve adjusted, but my body is telling me to get the fuck out of the city. I miss living at the waters edge (which I’ve done for most of my life), and breathing clean air that doesn’t carry god knows what!

API is at 356 right now to kick off the weekend.

Participant

I dunno guys, I’ve been here for two years and I feel perfectly fine. I seriously don’t know where you’re getting all this from. Never heard such things from people around me either.

Maybe it’s age related…………..

Participant

I think being constantly sick is more directly related to being fresh off the boat here. Although anecdotal I can say from my first year’s experience I was constantly wracked with some illness or another. Multiple stomach issues, violent flu, ongoing colds. Where I was generally lacked any substantial air pollution. Looking back on it it’s definitely something I took for granted.

I would definitely link poor air quality and recovery, but when the pollution’s so bad you feel as though you’ve got an ongoing pneumonia it’s hard to separate the two. Like walking a soft gray line.

We had a race today and my dumbass felt it would help to do the ride without a mask. I spent the following two hours coughing violently. Great job!

Keymaster

Are you staying hydrated? I don’t have chronic headaches but I have minor congestion pretty regularly. I get sick about once every year or so, I don’t think China had changed that too much.

Quote:
    Maybe it’s age related.

So why could I very likely kick your ass blindfolded?? 😀

It’s easy to be dismissive of what’s happening in Chengdu with the pollution, something I’m sure the powers that be are only too happy to see take place, but you can’t really argue with a regularly 300+ API. Headaches, nosebleeds, congestion, related or not, we’re breathing a ton of crap that isn’t going away. Get a game plan/don’t give a damn/leave, those are your options.

Participant

Good point on staying hydrated cause I’m an avid coffee drinker, but I do have other symptoms like congestion and shortness of breath which is why I generalized it to the air pollution. I will be getting out of town for the holiday for some much needed fresh air so hopefully that will help bring my health back to an equilibrium.

Participant

This sort of reality may be the cause.

China’s Coal Problem (Youtube):

Quote:
    This sort of reality may be the cause:

You could tattoo messages like this on peoples faces and they still wouldn’t get it.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This sort of reality may be the cause.

Coal is cheaper for now, but that won’t always be the case because you have to factor in the political and actual cost of the pollution created by coal. The coal in China wikipedia entry is pretty significant (I didn’t know that thousands die every year in Chinese coal mines!).

Extra black nostril nuggets for the last 2 days.

dTKqtVM.jpg

Quote:
    Coal is cheaper for now, but that won’t always be the case because you have to factor in the political and actual cost of the pollution created by coal.

I think the reality is that the oligarchs created by the coal industry will be burning up the atmosphere until every last scrap is mined from the planet. What we will see on a wider scale is a general acceptance of the issue (minus the odd hiccup of civil unrest), alongside the generation of an economy to support this new phenomenon. Air filtration systems are already becoming big business, and will continue to be the primary option until long term implications of the pollution really begin to take hold. The threat of global warming hasn’t changed consumption habit overall, hasn’t so much as dented it in developing nations, and the exact same edict will apply to pollution.

The apocalyptic battles for clean air depicted in cinematic gems like Total Recall are a little way off, but I’m all for them as long as we can have the head changey thingamejig too.

Participant

Well, the nosebleed thing is probably due to the change in humidity as per the changing of the seasons. I encounter about a week-long period twice a year where I get 3-5 nosebleeds for no reason and they are always around February-March and October-November when the weather changes. The first time it happened I mentioned it to my doctor back in the States in passing and he brought up the probable cause of humidity change.

I, too, have been getting black shit in my nose when I blow it, but that’s too be expected in pollution-high areas. I don’t recommend exercising outside. My gym membership just ended and I didn’t renew it because I thought I might try just exercising in my house and running/jump roping outside. I ran about 3 miles two days ago and now am pretty sick for the first time all season. My immune system is pretty baller, so I’m blaming pollution for that one.

Participant

Air pollution’s been shit the past while. Plus, with Chinese New Year coming around the corner (started), I think people are getting restless, anxious and less caring about food preparation. It’s salty, MSG time!

Participant
    Quote:
    I dunno guys, I’ve been here for two years and I feel perfectly fine. I seriously don’t know where you’re getting all this from. Never heard such things from people around me either.

Maybe it’s age related…………..

lol karma. I had 3 completely random nosebleeds since I posted that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.