New Resturant: Helen's

HomeForumsIn ChengduNew Resturant: Helen's

• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoEric.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Pretty newly opened near the American Consulate in the Poly Center.  Awkwardly located in building A 4th floor.

I checked this place out for lunch yesterday and it wasn’t bad! It’s a chain restaurant/bar with locations all over China.  I’ve been to the one in Shanghai which is a really popular hangout for foreign students.  It’s decorated like a dive but it’s a big restaurant.  Standard western fare like burgers, wings, nachos. Also saw hookahs and a lot of cocktails, shakes.

Agreeable prices.  Burger and fries for 23, mango shake 20, free (pretty decent!) coffee on Mondays. 3RMB ice cream scoops which unfortunately they didn’t have due to electricity problems.

Specials on other nights include a beer chugging contest for a bottle of liquor, 30 RMB hookahs, open mic night, ladies night.

It was empty when I was there but it seems like a pretty chill spot.

Participant

I have been a couple of times since it opened really busy on weekends and the drinks are cheap, but not sure how long that will last.  I went yesterday they have all day free coffee on Monday’s.

I went yesterday they have all day free coffee on Monday’s.

well until 7pm. good coffee though

Keymaster

Man, burger and fries for 23 is practically unheard of in Chengdu these days. I will check this place out. Weird that it’s on the 4th floor, though.

Any idea who opened this place? Expats or locals?

I checked out “Mix & Match” yesterday, the new Spanish restaurant that’s right next to Hakka Homes. Authentic and delicious.

Participant

Few vouchers online too; http://i.meituan.com/deal/4907950.html

Participant

I saw they have group-buying on Dazhong dianping so many times, but not sure about the taste, cause the photos are not that attractive.  The points were not really high though. It’s a chain in China so it’s run by a chinese company.

Participant

Checked this out today. Really weird location: in through the lobby and then up the elevator to the 4th floor, like having a restaurant in an apartment building. No signs on the outside of the building at all. Could be a marketing ploy I guess, but I almost gave up looking and it was pretty empty at lunchtime too, so not working very well yet!

Reminded me a lot of bars in Kunming, very chilled out dive-bar feel which is cool. Food is relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for I guess. I had a mediocre omelette and OK Caesar salad that came to 50RMB.

Definite party potential in here. Cheap drinks and the place is pretty big. Maybe too many tables but would definitely be a good atmosphere if busy. Also, cocktails by the bucket! (Bringing back Thailand flashbacks for many of us!)

Keymaster

would definitely be a good atmosphere if busy. Also, cocktails by the bucket! (Bringing back Thailand flashbacks for many of us!)

These points alone make me want to check this place out. Anyone get any photos?

Speaking of new restaurants, I checked out “Mix & Match”, a new Spanish restaurant the other day which is right next to the Hakka Homes bar on the SOHO building roof. I’ll create a new thread with that info when I finish adding it to Chengdu Places.

Participant

I just to a couple of pics to send to my friend in SH who loves the Helen’s there.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The Helen’s in Shanghai is really popular.

I went back again last night and had an OK lasagna, and a poor chef’s salad.  The coffee is really good.  They offered us a free drink for posting a pic of the place on weibo. Still pretty empty though.

Participant

Ahah i go in the opening in the bar .. like durig the week end all free drink .. drink are really cheap so easy to find drunk guys .. food no test for the moment …

Participant

You can’t really argue with those prices. Like chengdu 6 years ago. Draft beer for 15 rmb, 500ml tsingtao for 12rmb, a bucked of vodka redbull fro 45rmb. This will become a popular place to get tanked up.

Participant

Hit this place yesterday for lunch. Strange location. Very big. I was the sole patron. Nice decoration, even played a Leonard Cohen song (I like Leonard). Ordered a cheeseburger, but got a chicken burger. Good burger? No, awful actually (think Dicos level). Fries? Mummified. Half a litre of draft beer too (nice long glass. Considered stealing it, but i dont do those things anymore). Total price: 40 kuai. Sensational value, wretched food.Yet i walked out satisfied….

Participant

Agee with Mr Chris Ziich. Had the lasagna today which was pretty good, and as he mentioned, the coffee is really good, and they didn’t skimp on the milk. And they played “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers, and the place again was absolutely emptysville.

And they played “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers

That brings back some memories! What a great track still.

By the way, that half litre of beer will do nothing for your biceps.

Participant

Don’t know if it’s my place to say, but there is way too much smoking here. I know it’s a bar and all, but since they have 1 side that is pretty much empty most of the time, can’t they at least turn that into non-smoking?

Other than that, the prices are great. Especially, after you’ve gone to beernest.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.