Help! Getting a Macbook fixed…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHelp! Getting a Macbook fixed…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi this is a bit embarrassing but… I idiotically got a tinsy bit of water on my macbook….. Luckily it is still working, and my life is still worth living. But basically the keyboard is broken, forever stuck in cntrl+ mode, which means I can’t type…@4#! Can anyone give advice on where in Chengdu I can try and get this reliably fixed? Or should I send it away? Bearing in mind I have an unhealthy attachment to it, so the chance it will get hurt or be away for longer than absolutely necessary both seem quite tragic to me. Also mousepad has issues from before that I didn’t get fixed because I could bear to part with it. It’s still under warranty, I have insurance too. I would be very grateful for any advice from the computer savvy! Thanks!

Participant

I spilt a pint of water on mine a couple of months ago. Got it fixed here and quite happy with the service.

The official Apple repair store is on the 9th floor of the Computer City (the one nearer tian fu square) at ren min nan lu & first ring road. It’s pricey in there though. They actually recommended going to another cheaper place on the 9th floor but I can’t remember what unit number it was.

Keymaster

You can get that fixed here for sure. Computer City, like Andy said, is the place to get that done. I also know a guy near the New Century computer market (by Mozi Qiao) who can repair Macs, I can give you his phone number if you need.

Participant

I fwded this link to my friend who is an Apple certified Technician. He said you are going to need some new part(s) so take it to the compter city guy. Its the building opposite from the one with the pictures of the canon camera girl.

Anyways I had a a whole new screen put on my powerbook g4 and they did a great job for like 1200RMB, in the states it would cost $100 bux just for some guy to take the computer apart and say, “Nope, not an intermittent connection”

Good luck

Participant

Hi thanks so much everyone, will give computer city a try. In any case I will back everything up before I take it in…

Do you know if they speak english there?

My friend/roommate is the Apple technician. He could fix this but we’re leaving in 9 days. I don’t know if that’s enough time.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Do you know if they speak english there?

You might be able to find one that speaks english but I wouldn’t count on it.

Participant

Johnny your relevancy rating is lower than Bon Iver’s back pain. I said essentially the same thing. Eat more eggs bro.

And as Charlie said, you won’t find anyone with trustworthy English, meaning they will LAOWAI the hell out of the price. Best to bring a chinese friend or a hardass foreigner with a handle on bargaining in Sichuan dialect.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    you won’t find anyone with trustworthy English, meaning they will LAOWAI the hell out of the price. Best to bring a chinese friend or a hardass foreigner with a handle on bargaining in Sichuan dialect.

Good point. It’s tougher to get Mac accessories or repair for a reasonable price! It can be done but it requires some searching sometimes. Someone took the power adapter for my MBP at Xiong Mao when I DJ’d there the DJ Krush night and I got a replacement for 160 yuan after getting quoted 800 on the ground floor of both Computer City buildings.

Participant

Yea It sucks. I also was in a bind and searched high and low for an AC adapter for a Powerbook G4. Paid 160 RMB for it, when it would cost $8.99 on ebay. But the guy had me by the balls as he knew he was the only one in the building with a ” 好老的“ computer part.

Also, to borrow a term from Marx, the rise of commodity fetishism in China makes people think that everyone who owns an Apple computer is filthy rich. Pair that with a foreign face and you can see their logic behind the price hike.

Quote:
    your relevancy rating is lower than Bon Iver’s

i don’t get why people hate on Bon Iver he’s really good

Participant

Hi thanks all for the advice. So I’ll try and enlist the help of a local, and try not to look desperate (or bourgeois).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.