Hey! Need Chengdu Advice

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHey! Need Chengdu Advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey Im Jessica!

Im heading to chengdu to live and work, in 3 days!

Im coming all the way from little New Zealand and would love to meet some new people!

Does anybody have any advice for me on what I should bring over or any tips for living in chengdu?

Any advice would be much appreciated 🙂

Participant

Deodorant! Haha, actually I’m not sure if this is still true, but it definitely was last time I was in China (a couple of years ago). Also shoes, I wear a US Men’s 11 and couldn’t find shoes for the life of me last time I was there. Ended up wearing tiny sandals to the shower with one toe hooked in. Clothes are cheap in China compared to Western countries, and markets abound in the cities, so whatever you aren’t terribly attached to you could probably afford to leave at home (and skip the plane overage fees).

Anyway, I’m not actually in Chengdu yet, but I’ve lived in Beijing before and will be in CD at the end of February. I’m sure the folks who have been there a while can give you more in-depth advice!

What kind of work are you coming over for? First time abroad or seasoned traveler?

Hey Jessica,

If you spend time looking through the forum you will find answers to just about everything.

I would say if there are any nutritional supplements or natural/organic cosmetics you like to use, you should bring at least a short term supply. There are sellers on Taobao stocking Australian and NZ product, but not too many physical stores.

Good luck on the jump!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Does anybody have any advice for me on what I should bring over or any tips for living in chengdu?

Almost everything you really need is accessible in Chengdu. I bought Sriracha locally the other day, to my amazement (Metro). It’s incredible how much the city has developed in terms of international products available in recent years.

Quote:
    Also shoes, I wear a US Men’s 11 and couldn’t find shoes for the life of me last time I was there. Ended up wearing tiny sandals to the shower with one toe hooked in.

Taobao is the solution to this. I can’t find shoes anywhere but on Taobao, but it actually works out great since there’s a large selection and prices are low.

Participant

Just leave your common sense behind and you should be fine 🙂

Participant

Apologies over restarting this topic, but I need some help if possible and can’t start a new topic? When going on Metro, can you get a multiple journey ticket e.g going to Century City but being able to stop at Tongzilin on the way using just 1 ticket? Or do you have to get a new ticket for each new journey from a station? Thanks

Participant

If you stop and exit a station – your ticket is done, and you get a new ticket when re-entering the subway to the next stop.. I don’t think this is any different in any subways I’ve experienced elsewhere. I think you can get a subway pass just like a bus pass or whatever on a monthly basis. Either way, transportation here is really cheap.

Participant

Thanks Rick, I only asked since on the London Underground you can get things like day travelcards where you use the same ticket on one day and can go anywhere to multiple stations.

Participant

Ah – yeah, day passes exist in lots of places, but I think the subway cost ranges from like 1 to 3 rmb? Most places with day passes are, I think, a lot more expensive 😛 There may be day passes no idea, can probably ask at Hong Qi chain store or anywhere else subway passes are sold..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.