Housing registration

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHousing registration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m going to fill in a housing registration form tomorrow at the police station in order to get my visa extended. Has anyone done it before? What should I bring? Just my passport and appartment contract?

Do I need an ID copy of the landlord as well? If so, that could become a real problem…

Will they make a big deal out of the fact I want to do the housing registration just before my visa is about to expire?

Participant

Btw, the appartment contract is not on my own name. I’m living with a friend. Will this be a problem?

Just go to the closest police station with your passport and the contract. That’s it, no questions asked. Be sure to check the dates when they hand you the document.

Also, they don’t speak any English in most police offices, so be able to say your country of origin, telephone number and basic info in Chinese. Or have a chinese friends phonenumber ready

Participant

They’ll want copies of your passport info page, the Chinese visa page and the contract. The first time you go, they might be nice to you and make the copies for you. Afterwards though you’ll probably need to make the copies before going.

Participant

I tried it this morning. At the first police station they were really nice and told me I had to be in a different station, not so far away. They were really kind (although I did not understand what they were saying), but they actually gave me a ride to the next station.

I stood there, waving with my passport and the contract, but the police lady kept pointing at the “Party A” part of the contract and saying “come! come!”. After half an hour of trying to tell her that it’s impossible because I don’t even know the owner of the apartment, she said “copy ID”.

So I’ll have to figure out a way to get this copy I guess. I contacted Maxxelli because they drew up the lease contract. I hope they have it…

I did this myself a little while back, and I can tell you apart from the contract for tenancy itself, they also required the ID card (photocopy) of the landlord. So… Passport, rental agreement, and copy of landlords ID is what you need, and a Chinese speaking friend will go a long way to easing any woes too.

Participant

Will the fact that the contract is on a friend’s name be a problem? I’m just living with him, he did all the paperwork a few months ago…

Maybe he should head to the PSB with you. I don’t know how they would deal with that, though it must be a fairly frequent occurrence. I would guess that so long as you have all the necessary docs, you’ll be fine. Get there a couple of days before your current visa expires, to give yourself time to make a quick exit to HK if necessary.

Take your friend and a translator with you to the police station. Explain that you are visiting him, not renting the place yourself. This is a fairly common occurrence. Failing that check in to a cheap hotel.

Participant

Got it done today.

It took me several hours, but I finally got it. The police lady kept saying the landlord had to come as well, while I kept pointing at the copy of his ID. Eventually after a half hour of discussing in different languages and me getting angry a bit, they called him themselves. I was just sitting there, waiting, for 1.5hours, when eventually the guy showed up. Lucky for me I guess!

They barely had like a 2 minute talk, the landlord guy smiled at me, and 10 minutes later the printer started making noise. God if you’d make a business out of making Chinese people more efficient. You’d become a milionaire…

Ha Ha! I think Chinese efficiency is an oxymoron.

Participant

hi pple,

would like to check if i can just go to any police station to have my stay extended in china, based on the normal passport stay period?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    would like to check if i can just go to any police station to have my stay extended in china, based on the normal passport stay period?

You can’t do that at a normal police station. If you aren’t sure what your situation is, contact these guys: Shan Shui Visa

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.