How Chengdu Stereotypes other places

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow Chengdu Stereotypes other places

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What is the sense of regional pride in Chengdu (or Sichuan province in general) and what places are shit upon? Since I’m hella proud to be from the [San Francisco] Bay, we like to talk a lot of shit of SoCal and stereotype); the New York/Jersey isn’t much different. What are the places people tend to think of as below and most commonly referred to as being? There has to be some regional rivalry between Chengdu and Chongqing; and is Yunnan/Guizhou simply seen as the sticks? (I just made that up, but it could be true). What about the East, how is that seen from Chengdu? I have found a few city comparisons on this site, but I’m more interested in the more rash views that often surface in jokes and swearing–though a belief that reinforces that belief should be included.

And alternately, how is Chengdu/Sichuan stereotyped by the rest of China?

Though it is related to the US, I’m looking for things along the lines of this discussion. More fun stereotyping of SoCal.

Participant

I know that many Chongqing locals consider Chengdunese to be “two-faced”. My ex (Chongqing local) would often say “to your face they are very nice and friendly, but behind your back they will say bad things”. i guess she meant back-stabbing. it’s important to keep in mind the strong regional rivalry between these two cities, and the fact that Chongqingers (?) are often proud of their relatively direct or frank nature.

I sometimes get the impression that the way Chengdunese see themselves (laidback, leisurely) is not always shared in other provinces (some of my non-local students have confided to me that they don’t find locals here any more relaxed than those in their home towns)…..

It’s a good thread. Chinese LOVE stereotypes!

Being a Chengdunese myself for half of my life, I think the most prominent sterotype is that Chengdu people is ‘half a beat behind’, which refers to the laid back lifestyle. The other is that Chengdu people are less ambitious and more content with ‘good enough’.

Keymaster

It’s said that Chengdunese “know how to live” – that is, the pace of life is slow and there are a lot of leisure activities like drinking tea, playing mahjong, walking around in parks, etc. Chengdunese men are considered effeminate and are said to be “owned” by their spouses, as well. Beautiful women, too. I think these are the most common stereotypes about Chengdu people in general.

Participant

I think the “Chengdu know how to live” thing is bunk – I think that’s more of a Chengdu people tout to others thing rather than anyone actually believes it to be true. Just because Sichuanese are generally lackadaisical and don’t give much a shit about anything other than what their next meal is going to be doesn’t mean they live great lives 😀

I would say Chengdu would phrase it as “knowing how to live”, relaxed and comfortable life – I would say on the same sentiment that many other places may stereotype, based on the same evidence, that Chengdu people are generally lazy and careless rather than industrious. The same thing expressed differently, really.

Chengdu men are definitely effeminate in general, will yell a lot but rarely throw a first punch, but I disagree with them being known as “owned” by their spouses – I think the general sentiment is that Shanghai men are the “趴耳朵” (like…bent ear) of the country.

Chengdu people are sort of considered “peasants” (as with most western provinces) by East Coast cities like Beijing/Shanghai, mostly because it’s historically an agricultural area with huge population (80million+) and lots of migrant workers from this area go east for work. Chengdu people seem to think in retaliation that people from those east coast cities are selfish and arrogant, caring about nothing but money…

I agree with the Chongqing “two-faced” thinking about Chengdu people, they’re very indirect and things like office politics here are different. People are definitely sneakier with how they interact with each other, in contrast to Chongqing people who are _definitely_ more direct in my experiences and proud to be so. I learn a lot about how Chengdu people think and interact with people from my girl, she often gets mad at me if I’m nice to people that I don’t really know but have doing some kinda job for me – says some thing that roughly translates to “People who are nice are people who get bullied” which in hindsight, seems to be true – some workers I’ve hired recently definitely try to push the limits and take advantage when I’m overly nice to them, rather than reciprocate by being _more_ honest and working _harder_, they react more like leeches trying to get more out of me in different ways. I guess when in Rome… lots of lessons to be learned here 😀

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I think the “Chengdu know how to live” thing is bunk – I think that’s more of a Chengdu people tout to others thing rather than anyone actually believes it to be true. Just because Sichuanese are generally lackadaisical and don’t give much a shit about anything other than what their next meal is going to be doesn’t mean they live great lives 😀

It seems like everyone who visits Chengdu, whether they’re coming from another city in China or from another country, mentions how laid back it is. I don’t think it’s all hype. Just my $0.02.

Quote:
    I would say Chengdu would phrase it as “knowing how to live”, relaxed and comfortable life – I would say on the same sentiment that many other places may stereotype, based on the same evidence, that Chengdu people are generally lazy and careless rather than industrious. The same thing expressed differently, really.

I get frustrated by the “who cares” attitude here also, but that seems like a cynical way to look at it. Chengdu is one of the fastest growing cities in the world and is home to 150+ Fortune 500 companies. If Chengdu was all lazy and careless people, Apple wouldn’t assemble iPads here, nor would Intel manufacture half of the world’s mobile processors here.

Participant

“If Chengdu was all lazy and careless people”

Sure they would. Cost vs. output. Even if people are less effective/efficient, the extremely low cost for that kind of labour in the outskirts of Chengdu makes the overall cost/output ratio better than a more industrious workforce that has a much higher per-person cost. I’m not saying that this is the actual case, I’ve no idea, just saying the argument against Sichuan-laziness can’t be made by pointing out several large manufacturing plants..in your experience, would you say when you think Chengdu workers or employees (not the exceptions, either :D), the words: diligent, effective, efficient, or meticulous come to mind? All the manufacturers would love employees with these soft skills, but I’d wager they care more about the fact people in the city outskirts will take 1200rmb/month manufacturing jobs.

“As labor cost rises in China’s coastal cities, the labor-intensive manufacturing sector is moving westward to cities like Chengdu, where labor cost is still relatively cheap. The 2013 Fortune Global Forum in Chengdu is expected to highlight the importance of China’s western regions in the future of the global economy.”

I’ve never read anyone say “We’re moving to Chengdu for the hard workers.”

Participant

Can anybody tell me what’s the stereotype of American? or what’s the stereotype of Canadian?

Participant

OK Linka, this is all you need to know: US: lotsa shitty music, but some incredible stuff too.

Canada: lotsa shitty music

Participant

I guess i just can’t say oh i have a shit boyfriend who is Canadian, then every Canadian is thit.

By the way i don’t have boyfriend who is Canadian, if i want to find out a one, i will make sure find out a good one.

Participant

About two face thing, here is a one who don’t like things will speak out immediately .Well ….that’s me.

And now are you going to say i must be lazy, right?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Can anybody tell me what’s the stereotype of American?

Outspoken, fat, friendly

Quote:
    or what’s the stereotype of Canadian?

Peaceful, eccentric, small-town

Participant

@charlie

I agree with you, but some American and some Canadian!

🙂

Participant

@linka

This conversation is about stereotypes. It by no means means “Everyone from this place is ______”. The point above isn’t me saying “Everyone in Chengdu is lazy”, it’s saying that many people may perceive that, and as such, it’s a stereotype. Don’t mistake my comments for my personal views pinning everyone from Chengdu in a box – I’m just discussing perceptions and common themes in relation to how people may frequently think for whatever reason.

Participant

@rick

You know since i was came to this website ,from all your post i have find out you really don’t have good life at Chengdu, right?

Chengdu more like a hell, not a city for living, that was too bad~~~~~~~~

Participant

Linka is back!! You go girl! Give ’em Hell!

Keymaster

All foreigners in China eventually get the China Blues, and when it happens, taking shots at China is almost an inevitable coping mechanism.

Participant

@Charile

Not just foreigners have the China Blues, most of Chinese have THAT China Blue too.

But taking shots at China doesn’t help much…….

Participant

@linka

I don’t think you understood my last point, at all. The topic here is stereotypes. It is about generalities made about Sichuan people, and generalities Sichuan people make about people from other provinces. This doesn’t mean “I think xxxx.” – whether it’s true or not. It’s about *generalities*, and I find it curious why you’re making a comment about me *personally* in a post about generalities…

RE: “you really don’t have good life at Chengdu” Based on what, exactly? I’ve had a high paying job for 7 years. I own an apartment in the city, bought in cash, and just finished designing and construction mostly myself. I enjoyed that. I live with a great girl, and literally travel the world – well, except for the last half year I’ve been on bail and can’t leave the city. I don’t know why my “life is hell”, in your eyes…but it’s unfortunate your deductive skills lead you to believe that based on some forum posts.

Often posts, especially ones like this, are about discussing the goods and bads of the city, or in this case the stereotypes about it. I’ve been here a very long time. The “Chengdu is a land of greatness!” that many new people see, especially because it’s *cheap*, has worn off…I certainly don’t look at everything with rose colored glasses, but if I thought “life was hell”, I also certainly wouldn’t be here.

Participant

@rick

If for “generalities”

1.”Chengdu know how to live” thing is bunk “

If so, why there are so many Chengdunese take a holiday time at nearby mountain like Qingchengshan(青城山)for the summer time ,and winter time go Yuennan Province, if you go Heshuen(和顺)or Lijiang(丽江)there is Chengduese everywhere, and lot’s of them are old people, they would stay those place for few weeks or month for get warm sunshine.

Why there have so many Nongjiale (农家乐), so Chengdunese can drive to at weekend for playing Majiang, fishing ,and got some spicy food.

Have you been Hetangyuese(荷塘月色)at Sanshengxian(三圣乡)in the summer, and Xingfumeilin(幸福梅林)at winter time? If you been there, you will see thousand of people sitting together palying Majiang. Why it is just happen at chengdu? is there somewhere else have this? thousand people sitting together just for relax ,for fun?

2.”Sichuanese are generally lackadaisical and don’t give much a shit about anything other than what their next meal “

Here i have a question, when 2008 Sichuan have earthquake, do you know for first few days, locals have drive their own car trying to go Dujiangyan(都江堰)to send goods for help, it’s all voluntary act and taxi driver send volunteer or goods to Dujiangyan for free,so many citizens trying to do some help even block the road for first few days. And there so many people want to do blood donation,it’s long queue,i waiting for 2 hours still not me, why ??? If they care about nothing just next meal.

And you know Chengduese have damage US Embassy and Ito-Yokado for political reason, if they care about nothing but just next meal, why this happen??

3.””two-faced”

You know i really think this stereotype of human race, it’s everywhere, not just here.

4.“Chengdu is one of the fastest growing cities in the world and is home to 150+ Fortune 500 companies” like Charile said, if just for low labour cost, i don’t think that is a good reason to start company at Chengdu, let’s say if you are a boss, are you will going to somewhere which is cheap labor, but worker are all lazy and careless people, you really don’t worry those worker will let you lose all your money?? APPLE IS NOT SO SILLY! If cheap labour is more important than qualified worker, then APPLE can go anywhere but Chengdu. There is more cheap labour in China or world.

For you own life is good or bad is not topic for here, but i just really feel from lots of your post , there are not much good and interesting feeling from life in Chengdu, which i feel strange you will choose buy a house at this city, people are lazy and careless , if people here is so terrible, then you need to deal with those people everyday, that was really not good life.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.