How High is Your Electricity Bill?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow High is Your Electricity Bill?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Please tell me what your average cost of electricity is for a month. I only turn on my bedroom heater an hour before I go to bed and I have a portable heater in my living room. I haven’t had to pay for my electricity yet since my company pays it, however another colleague has been keeping their heater on 24/7 causing the bill to be super high and now our employer is threatening to change our contract and not cover the cost.( I know this is not possible, but at least for next year)

Participant

Now paying between 100-200 a month, swipe card system. 3 roommates share this. Previous apartment was smaller and shared with one person but costs were higher, usually 200-300 or more each month. Keeping one of those heating units on 24/7 can easily cost 1000 or more per month. I think we had a thread about this last year.

Participant

I don’t know exactly how much expensive but I opened 1 night hot air machine (conditioner) and i finished money in my electricity counter.

It’s really expensive use heater, here in Sichuan it’s better use gas than electricity power. More cheap it’s use a wood/coal stove.

See you Jenise

Refer to the Chengdu Winter Pro Tips.

As mentioned before, using those big heaters will cost you a ton.

At the current outside temperature air conditioners are cheaper and more efficient than any other form of heating. If your air con unit is using up a lot of electric then it probably needs a service.

Participant

Air conditioners in Chengu isn’t a cheap solution than gas/coal/wood… sure are efficient.

But we can discuss this for a week because it depends on too many factors like window type, size of the house, etc.

Keymaster

Chris and Federico right, it’s the big heaters that will really cost you in the winter. I can’t resist though, I still use mine. Along with that, having a lot of computers and power-hungry electronics can consume a lot of electricity also. In the winter my electricity bill can be in the 300-400 range, but it’s shared between me and a single roommate.

I’ve tried space heaters in the past but they are either not effective or are burning you, in my experience. Never seen a gas/wood stove here (have you Federico?) but that would be pretty great. I’ve also fantasized about getting one of those standup gas heaters that they put outside of hotpot restaurants in winter and putting it on my roof.

Dave of Dave’s Oasis just put one of those in his bar. Keeps the place really toasty.

Just to clarify what I meant by my comment. If you want to heat a room to an acceptable temperature and keep it there, a reverse cycle air conditioner with an inverter will be cheaper than gas. I don’t think coal or wood are acceptable alternatives for most people in Chengdu.

Obviously if you just want to heat part of the room then sitting next to a space heater or small gas fire will keep you warm and cost you less.

Participant

I understand you Ben but the “problem” in Sichuan is the electricity cost. More crazy is the situation, because gas is the best way but the houses (new and old) don’t have centralized boilers here.

Sure for now if you want all the house warm, you must use air conditioner but it’s really expensive. For one room maybe you can use a portable heater with the door closed.

I don’t know how much in chengdu,but in summer time my elec bill in gz is 700-1500

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I don’t know how much in chengdu,but in summer time my elec bill in gz is 700-1500

Wow – why so high?

I don’t know, because I leave the a/c on 24 hours?!

Participant

in the summer my bill is around 500-800 and this winter it is about 300-500. I really like it when weather is moderate and I do not need to turn any ac or heat on, save a bunch of cash.

Participant

2 Days ago when this was posted it was very cold,and you don’t need to turn on any heaters.You obviously come from a cold country. Paid elec account today..about 600RMB for 3 months. We can’t really compare elec costs. Too many factors..size of house,how many occupants,etc.

Participant

I keep two space heaters in the bedrooms to keep my toes warm and shit, i dropped about 800 in a month and a half. I keep them on from 8pm to about 8am. rough. I have now reduced the usage. could also be that they are old and shitty. But they dont look old and really work well. wood burning stoves would be awesome, but this aint a trailer in southern Oregon now is it?

Participant

I keep two space heaters in the bedrooms to keep my toes warm and shit, i dropped about 800 in a month and a half. I keep them on from 8pm to about 8am. rough. I have now reduced the usage. could also be that they are old and shitty. But they dont look old and really work well. wood burning stoves would be awesome, but this aint a trailer in southern Oregon now is it?

3p A/c on 7/24, an electronic water boiler, a big fridge, a laptop, 2 big TV. Rmb900 – 1200/ month.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.