How necessary is a car?

HomeForumsIn ChengduHow necessary is a car?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ll be moving to Chengdu in the fall & am trying to decide whether to take a car or not. It seems like a lot of extra expense & hassle if I can get by without it, so I’d prefer not to.

Is it feasible to try and get around without a car?

Also, I don’t know the language, so I’m sure getting around either way will be more difficult, but I don’t know if one would be harder than the other.

Thanks,

If you are travelling within the 3rd ring road then it’s usually easier to get around without a car. Buses are frequent and on main roads have their own lane, making them quicker than cars. There is also the metro if you are going north<->south. They both get crowded during rush hour though.

Taxi’s are abundant in off-peak times. Great for getting home from a bar or restaurant at night.

The fastest and most reliable way to travel is usually by bike or electric bike. You don’t have to wait, and you don’t get stuck in traffic. Make sure you park somewhere safe and get a good lock though. Bike theft is very common.

Parking in Chengdu is a nightmare, which is why so many people illegally park then get a ticket or towed. The large multi-stories are expensive, charging 5kuai for the first hour then 1 or 2 kuai for every subsequent hour. Most street parking is 4 to 8kuai for the day, but it is difficult to find a spot.

If you are making frequent trips outside the 3rd ring road or long distances across the city then a car will be extremely useful. Otherwise the convenience of a car is marred by the lack of parking, endless traffic jams and inconsiderate drivers.

Keymaster

I would say definitely not necessary unless you’re in a suburb of the city (Wenjiang, Longquan, etc). I wouldn’t know from experience since I haven’t had a car in Chengdu (unlike Ben), but just by observing the traffic and parking situation, it doesn’t look like fun. Getting a bike is a great recommendation, sometimes (especially during rush hour) finding a taxi isn’t easy. Plus you have the dedicated bike lanes throughout Chengdu which are a fantastic thing to have in the city. If you decide to take that route, make sure you read Five Tips to Prevents Your Bike From Being Stolen.

Participant

My ex has a car here, and i would sometimes (reluctantly and illegally) drive. It is, to put it bluntly, a pain in the arse. From the south to Shuangnan (where she lives) i can do it faster on my bike (regular, not electric) anytime from 5 to 7 pm. Parking is a hassle, but the toughest thing i found was adjusting to the driving culture here. I dont wanna rant, but even the minimum courtesy and commonsense is not followed. A guy blasts his horn at you, you wanna get out and rip his…..Ok, i’m not gonna rave!

Agree with Charlie, unless you live in the sticks, it’s not worth the hassle, and when the east-west metro line opens, it will make even less sense to have a car.

Oh yeah, strong rumours persist about Beijing-style driving restrictions next year in chengdu….

Participant

Thanks for the input. I think we’ll try to just do without one & see how it goes.

Participant

I’d like to echo some of the anti-car sentiments already posted.

I live in Tongzilin and work north of Tianfu square and make the 5.5 km trip each way on a rusty road bike.

When I first came to Chengdu in August of 2008 I didn’t think traffic could get any worse. Alas I was mistaken!

If you find that biking is too slow or sweaty consider an E-bike.

Participant

Yes, if you are frequently outside the 3rd ring road, or go to the suburbs then a car is necessary. If you’re driving in the city , the roads are congested and there are many restrictions. Very stressful, which is the biggest problem.

Participant

I don’t know exactly where I’ll be living, but apparently it is within walking distance of work, shopping, etc… so I think I’ll be fine without a car as far as day to day living goes.

But, if I should want to take weekend trips outside of the city to explore other nearby places are there drivers with cars I can hire to take me or rental cars or anything like that?

Participant

Going by taxi to the suburbs is very convenient but can be expensive.

Keymaster

@7

The best place to get to common destinations near Chengdu is probably bus stations. If you don’t want to take actual buses you usually find people with cars nearby who are taking car loads of people there. Places like Qing Cheng Shan, Emei Shan, Le Shan, etc.

I imagine that car rental places will be able to supply you with a driver for an additional cost too. You might get a better quality car that way.

If you want to drive yourself then you’ll need a Chinese driving license as neither Foreign licenses nor an International Driving Permit is accepted in China.

Participant

You don’t need a car in Chengdu unless you are a guy wanting to impress the girls. Or a pretty girl who does not like to be groped on the bus (tends to be a problem on Sundays) or stared at on a bike. A car is just a nightmare to drive and to park. Sometimes even walking is faster.

If you do still want to drive a car then you will need a Chinese driving licence. For that you will need to take some kind of computer test before they will convert your foreign licence to a Chinese licence.

Chengdu is a nice place to walk around – even safe at night – if you are inside the 2nd ring road.

Good luck!

I don’t drive, and I don’t see the advantage of having a car here unless you live in the burbs, AND intend on driving out of Chengdu. A motorbike would be way more convenient, and more fun, as well as being infinitely quicker inside the city.

You could even earn a few extra RMB giving attractive girls rides home!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.