How to Become a Local Laowai

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow to Become a Local Laowai

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I received an email with this infographic the other day and thought it was worth reposting here for people here who are new to China:

Participant

I guess this may be valuable to people oblivious to China coming for their first time..#8, though, have you tried it?

I asked someone, who had no idea what that was supposed to mean. Then I started doing it intentionally, and asking people if it meant anything to have my sticks sticking in like that – and every single time, I had to explain “it’s supposed to be like a tombstone” – and they laughed, really? that’s what it’s supposed to be? Oblivious to what I now call a myth. It is probably the case in some small part of China.

There’s also a lot of discussion some other places around the use of the word “laowai” – being that it’s frequently used with negative connotation to describe white foreigners, whereas a perhaps more polite way to refer may be “waiguo ren” or specific country if known (unless yer Japanese). I know it doesn’t matter to some people, I think it’s just a matter of the tone with which it’s used..sometimes innocent, sometimes not so much.

Keymaster

I guess this may be valuable to people oblivious to China coming for their first time..#8, though, have you tried it? I asked someone, who had no idea what that was supposed to mean.

Yeah, I think this mostly traditional and no longer of huge relevance. You do never see anyone ever put their chopsticks into rice like that, though.

There’s also a lot of discussion some other places around the use of the word “laowai” – being that it’s frequently used with negative connotation to describe white foreigners, whereas a perhaps more polite way to refer may be “waiguo ren” or specific country if known (unless yer Japanese). I know it doesn’t matter to some people, I think it’s just a matter of the tone with which it’s used..sometimes innocent, sometimes not so much.

I think it’s all about context, just like the word foreigner in English, which can be used condescendingly. Mainland China also typically has very little social tact when it comes to interaction with international people due to being culturally separated from the rest of the world, so you have to expect a lot of backwards behavior. When international flights with a lot of Chinese people land, everyone rushes to get up as soon as the wheels touch tarmac while stewardesses struggle to control the unruly crowd. Stuff like this is just inherent to China.

Participant

The chopsitcks thing isn’t big here but it still means something in Taiwan where they have retained a lot of the traditional culture. It’s supposed to represent incense sticks on a grave. I found that out on my first night there, everybody looked at me in horror when I did it.

Participant

looking for investors for my new website http://www.MyOldChineseWife.com

Participant

the tropsticks thing is true.

Participant

The chopsitcks thing isn’t big here but it still means something in Taiwan where they have retained a lot of the traditional culture. It’s supposed to represent incense sticks on a grave. I found that out on my first night there, everybody looked at me in horror when I did it.

that is the right answer for the chopsticks thing
    for similar reason, when put food in a plate, do avoid the number 5.
    4 or 6 items in a plate is acceptable. wiredly 5 is a taboo.

Participant

Now, here’s another thing for an audience: Why would you want to become a local laowai?

Participant

Why would you want to become a local laowai?

It’s stated clearly: “be more than just another foreigner” — because, as we all know, everyone who isn’t a “local laowai” is just another run of the mill foreigner milling about. If someone actually referred to themselves as a “local laowai” in a real life setting, *that* would be awesome.

Keymaster

Now, here’s another thing for an audience: Why would you want to become a local laowai?

To get cheaper prices or reduce the chance of being ripped off, earn the respect of locals by demonstrating that you understand their culture, etc. I don’t understand the expats who live in China and don’t have any interest in learning Chinese language or about Chinese culture, but there are a lot of them.

Participant

Well i just as well don’t understand expats who try to blend in with the environment, which is impossible by default.

I guess term “local laowai” needs definition here 🙂

Keymaster

Well i just as well don’t understand expats who try to blend in with the environment, which is impossible by default. I guess term “local laowai” needs definition here :)

You will probably never blend in, but that’s not the point: the difference in experience of someone fluent in Chinese and someone who doesn’t speak a word or know anything about Chinese culture or history is massive. The former person has the ability to seek and find the best that China has to offer, whereas the latter will be lost and mostly clueless. This is why it’s worth your time to learn Chinese and about Chinese culture if you live in China: otherwise you are relegated to clueless foreigner status (aka Tim Budong – which is the default expat status, and what Chinese people will assume you are until you prove otherwise).

Participant

Chinese culture or history

I agree with the importance of learning and experiencing everything unique and new about somewhere you live, absolutely — I think the article’s “local laowai” phrase and extremely high level not really that informative nature is what makes it deserve a little mockery 😀 I’m only cautious to make that statement because I’m *within the bubble*, so it could be the case that most people new to China don’t realize they shouldn’t take illegal taxis who aggressively tout, or that cash is preferred to credit cards…… or the toilets aren’t amazing automated bidets, or that Chinese people bargain, or there are some topics that aren’t politely discussed, or …. etc. You know – the unique things in China. 😀

Keymaster

I agree with the importance of learning and experiencing everything unique and new about somewhere you live, absolutely — I think the article’s “local laowai” phrase and extremely high level not really that informative nature is what makes it deserve a little mockery

Oh, no doubt. I actually browsed around this website and found it entertaining. For example, the Sexy Chinese Girls are Everywhere blog post:

Sexy Chinese girl usually have finely boned features such as high cheekbones, sensuous lips and thin, straight noses—all perfectly arranged. Fine, smooth skin, topped off by the crowning glory of long, jet black tresses, apparently floating in the breeze…

Don’t forget her sparkling brown, almond shaped eyes, then add all of these facial features together and the “jigsaw” is complete; the beauty portrayed—and, often, what a stunning, sexy Chinese girl!

Participant

Oh, no doubt. I actually browsed around this website and found it entertaining. For example, the Sexy Chinese Girls are Everywhere blog post: Sexy Chinese girl usually have finely boned features such as high cheekbones, sensuous lips and thin, straight noses—all perfectly arranged. Fine, smooth skin, topped off by the crowning glory of long, jet black tresses, apparently floating in the breeze… Don’t forget her sparkling brown, almond shaped eyes, then add all of these facial features together and the “jigsaw” is complete; the beauty portrayed—and, often, what a stunning, sexy Chinese girl!

most likely written by the PRC as propaganda to lure us into some trap that they haven’t quite figured the purpose of yet.

Keymaster

most likely written by the PRC as propaganda to lure us into some trap that they haven’t quite figured the purpose of yet.

Hahaha. I imagine that’s exactly what this must have sounded like: Mao Offers 10 Million Women to Kissinger in 1973

You know, China is a very poor country,” Mao is quoted as saying during the exchange. “We don’t have much. What we have in excess is women. So if you want them we can give a few of those to you, some tens of thousands.”

The Chinese leader drew laughter when he returned to the proposition a few minutes later. “Do you want our Chinese women? We can give you 10 million.” he said, adding: “We have too many women … They give birth to children and our children are too many.”

Participant

Language proficiency is of far less importance in the “Age of the App”. I know guys here who speak much less Chinese than me, but embrace the culture more, have far more local friends than I, and are generally living a more “Chinese lifestyle” than me, and some of these cats, literally, cannot count to 10. It’s all about your attitude and your willingness to engage people and new things. There’s sometimes an element of snobbery or condescension from those who speak Mandarin fluently towards those who can’t, or choose not to study the local language. Each to his own.

Keymaster

Language proficiency is of far less importance in the “Age of the App”.

How so?

I know guys here who speak much less Chinese than me, but embrace the culture more, have far more local friends than I, and are generally living a more “Chinese lifestyle” than me, and some of these cats, literally, cannot count to 10. It’s all about your attitude and your willingness to engage people and new things.

Learning the language is a major component of the culture. It’s crucial piece that unlocks everything else. You know people who aren’t interested in learning Chinese, but they live a Chinese lifestyle and surround themselves with locals without being able to count to ten? That’s a little hard for me to imagine, although we all start off not speaking any Chinese or having any knowledge of Chinese culture.

There are a lot of people doing interesting things in Chengdu: Eli co-managing the Sinostage dance studio, Michael opening up Suit Republic and Dragonfly, Larry and Jacob opening the Natooke bicycle shop. All of these people speak excellent Chinese and that’s what it takes to really make a splash in Chengdu. The expats who don’t speak Chinese and are having a meaningful impact on the city are… very few and far between from what I can tell because they’re competing with expats who do speak Chinese, and that group is just much better equipped to navigate and get things done.

Participant

Yes, Charlie, I’m lying. Those friends don’t exist. You got me.

Guy: (incredulous) “You lived here xx years and you don’t speak Chinese!?”
    Me: (apropos of nothing): “Bro, do you even lift?”
    Guy: “in fact I deadlift —-(huge amount) and squat—” (absurd amount)”
    Me: (feeling ridiculous) “Ok then…..”

Participant

Yes, Charlie, I’m lying. Those friends don’t exist. You got me. Guy: (incredulous) “You lived here xx years and you don’t speak Chinese!?” Me: (apropos of nothing): “Bro, do you even lift?” Guy: “in fact I deadlift —-(huge amount) and squat—” (absurd amount)” Me: (feeling ridiculous) “Ok then…..”

I’m pretty sure Brendan can count to 10

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.