I tried to chase down a thief one day…

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionI tried to chase down a thief one day…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

After reading the comments on the “5 Tips to Prevent Your Bike from Being Stolen” article I thought I’d share my thief story.

2 weeks ago I was leaving SW Jiaotong University on the way to the bus when I heard a lady screaming behind me “???????” I saw the perpetrator sprinting across the street and I instinctively took off after him (I don’t know why). He was probably 10 meters in front of me and was a shifty bastard. I cornered him in a road construction site but then he just broke through the flimsy wall. Chased him through traffic and into a store that was under construction. A scooter hit my foot which caused me to lose my shoe. By the time I recovered it, he was on the roof of the store throwing rocks and shards of glass down at me and the crowd of curious bystanders. I took cover behind a pillar and that’s when I started to think about wtf I was doing.

The anticlimactic ending is that he escaped through a small window while the 5 construction workers next to him and 30 people outside stood by idly. Police came on a scooter shortly and did nothing to pursue.

My girlfriend thinks I’m an idiot for even chasing him down, because it was none of my business and I could have gotten hurt over something petty like a cell phone. Apparently thieves are ruthless and carry weapons.

The kid was probably 100lbs and I probably could have taken him down. (I say this with 0 fighting experience) But the outcome could have also been bad for me as a foreigner.

What would you have done?

TL;DR. Thief stole something from lady. I chased him down. Lots of people watched him get away. wtf, China?

Participant

30 meters away (or 90-100 feet) is a long length and plus since its a kid, they bolt fast, unless its a fat American kid heh.

China is.. Complacent when it comes to crimes. They seem to follow the ‘see no evil, hear no evil’ type of mentality. Heck i saw this chick outside of computer city pick pocketing people left and right. She was soo obvious about it too. My bud and i just watched and when she would get anything as a hand in a woman’s purse, we would yell at her. Of course there were the meter-maid corner cops who does nothing but just stand there at his post all day. They are useless to begin with. Or rather, not trained to do anything.

Also, be careful. Most thieves carries knives. Knives are very tricky to defend against…

Keymaster

This is a really noble thing to do. Also, you sound like Steven Seagal pursuing some thug here with the guy busting through a wall to make his escape and everything.

I can’t speak to other Western countries, but this is the kind of thing that Americans do. In China the “everyone for themselves” attitude completely dominates society, whereas in places like the US you see people really willing to help each other out. Ironic considering China’s overbearing focus on creating a “harmonious society”, where strangers really don’t give a shit about each other at all. There are all kinds of extreme examples, children hurt and bleeding in the street while indifferent pedestrians walk by, victims of traffic accidents, etc.

Quote:
    What would you have done?

I’ve never been in this situation but I feel like I would do the same thing. I’ve had bikes stolen and afterward had fantasies of seeing the thief riding off as I sprint after him. Consciously I know that this type of thief is probably a severely disadvantaged youth being preyed upon by malicious adults, but on another level I want to be the person who demonstrates that the universe fights back against that kind of behavior.

Quote:
    My girlfriend thinks I’m an idiot for even chasing him down, because it was none of my business and I could have gotten hurt over something petty like a cell phone. Apparently thieves are ruthless and carry weapons.

No offense to Chinese girls, but I would expect a Chinese girlfriend to react like that – I don’t think they would understand where you’re coming from.

Quote:
    Also, be careful. Most thieves carries knives. Knives are very tricky to defend against…

Chasing a thief is a great time to be cautious. I don’t think the likelihood of getting stabbed is great though unless the force you exert on the thief is life threatening. The penalty for stealing a cell phone in China is relatively minor but for a violent crime like stabbing it is very steep.

Hats off to you for trying, Chris.

So the story here is you got owned by a 100lbs lightning fast streak of thieving piss! 😀

Participant

Keep this in mind; a few years ago here a thief broke into a home. Thief was attacked by Tibeatn mastiff and killed (good doggy!) Family of thief demanded compensation. Homeowner was forced to pay. Dog was put down. Ziich, if you beat on this cat you probably have to pay him. Chinese way 2012. That Tibetan mastiff shoulda been given a memorial day holiday….July 25th. National Hero Dog Day.

Participant

mastiff.jpg

Did that really happen? A dude broke into a victim’s house, got mauled by a dog and the perp’s family demanded some compensation? F’d that ill fight that AND have their family pay for the clean up that their kid made upon my apt!

I guess China does not have ‘your home is your castle law.’

Participant

@Jerry S: it’s a true story. Got alot of press here at the time.

Re: that photo: don’t know the Tibetan word for “beast” but put that pic next to the dictionary definition! Truly a warrior dog. Forget the national holiday: Put him on the 100 kuai note!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Keep this in mind; a few years ago here a thief broke into a home. Thief was attacked by Tibeatn mastiff and killed (good doggy!) Family of thief demanded compensation. Homeowner was forced to pay. Dog was put down. Ziich, if you beat on this cat you probably have to pay him. Chinese way 2012. That Tibetan mastiff shoulda been given a memorial day holiday….July 25th. National Hero Dog Day.

I hadn’t heard that story, that is absolutely ludicrous. I guess that means you should just beat the thief down and then walk away, then. Make like Batman and dish some street justice.

Participant

Somebody pulled my coat recently to the fact that i sometimes divert these threads off into unrelated fields. Point taken. Back on track: Ziich, well done. Be careful next time. That thief got some cardio skills. Speaking of cardio, just heard about this awesome new…..

…Thief Cardio!?

Participant

@ Chris.You have our respect,but more importantly you have your self respect.Is that pic of the good doggy real?I guess that common sense is not so common here.

It seems like that you are just writing a story!

Quote:
    Thief stole something from lady. I chased him down. Lots of people watched him get away. wtf, China?

First, I highly respect you for your heroic action.

But I have some shallow personal opinions.

1: It is nearly impossible to catch a thief in China all alone. Normally ,they are very skinny and fast.

2: Chengdu is a relatively moderate city, the thieves are usually mutually independent poor boys who are driven by the cruelty of the society. Most of they would not hurt you in most cases. But in southeast China, like Canton, nearly every thief is connected with organized violent underworld, even if you catch one, you might get bloody revenge

If I were you, I would just call the police. as for the reaction of the police, it’s none of my business, cause I already do what a citizen should and could do in this society of Chinese characteristics.

Quote:
    Thief stole something from lady. I chased him down. Lots of people watched him get away. wtf, China?

First, I highly respect you for your heroic action.

But I have some shallow personal opinions.

1: It is nearly impossible to catch a thief in China all alone. Normally ,they are very skinny and fast.

2: Chengdu is a relatively moderate city, the thieves are usually mutually independent poor boys who are driven by the cruelty of the society. Most of they would not hurt you in most cases. But in southeast China, like Canton, nearly every thief is connected with organized violent underworld, even if you catch one, you might get bloody revenge

If I were you, I would just call the police. as for the reaction of the police, it’s none of my business, cause I already do what a citizen should and could do in this society of Chinese characteristics.

Participant

Like Jerry, I saw a woman (supposedly a Uyghur* pikey) with a fake baby strapped to her back, with badly dyed hair, working the street in Beijing. I just happened to be crossing the road behind her as she was preying on a woman who left her handbag open on her arm after fishing out her mobile phone.

The woman casually strolled up behind her, copped a feel, found the wallet, and was in the process of removing the cash from it. I hugged her from behind (or ‘battled her into an arm lock’ perhaps sounds more manly!) which alerted the other woman. The thief shouted abuse at me, palmed the money to her mate (who I hadn’t noticed, despite his matching badly dyed hair!) and dropped the purse on the floor, suggesting that it had just fallen out of her bag and she was trying to give it back. Her abuse towards me was really powerful, I started worrying that perhaps the baby wasn’t a stooge and I had mixed up the whole scenario. Basically, I wasn’t expecting her to go on the offensive.

I didn’t speak Chinese to explain the situation or to defend my position, so just pointed at the thief said ‘ta buhao’ or something and walked off with the adrenalin pumping. The woman picked up her wallet and walked away. I felt it wasn’t the worse scenario because the woman got her wallet and ID card etc back and may be a bit more careful in the future. A thanks would’ve been nice though! I saw the same duo operating on a footbridge a few days later with different coloured badly died red hair. Still with the fake baby on her back. Still with the blurry CCTV channel up in the sky, and below, the organised beggars sat in bandages, earning their dinner and their bosses a new SUV.

I don’t think I would do it again unless I had some local back up, for fear of being accused as the villain, but then when the adrenalin kicks in at the spur of the moment, I can see meself chasing villains through building sites like the opening to 007 as Chris regailed at the top!

* my Beijing friends explained that Uyghur gangs come out of the woodwork before CNY etc and go on the rampage in their desperation to send some hand-earned back to the families, as they’ve lost the rest of their savings gambling. Not that I want to suggest that non-han racism is rife in this harmonious society.

As I say I don’t think I would act the martyr again, but I have put myself in it again and again. I knocked into an old woman as we both using a pedestrian crossing (I was on a bike). It was basically her fault for suddenly changing direction straight in front of me. But still I immediately jumped off the bike to check if she was ok, it’s just basic instinct isn’t it. Of course that immediatly apportions blame directly on my back. Luckily she wasn’t hurt and didn’t make anything of it apart from moaning about her dirty trousers. But I could’ve found myself in that whole compensation game.

Participant

Like Jerry, I saw a woman (supposedly a Uyghur* pikey) with a fake baby strapped to her back, with badly dyed hair, working the street in Beijing. I just happened to be crossing the road behind her as she was preying on a woman who left her handbag open on her arm after fishing out her mobile phone.

The woman casually strolled up behind her, copped a feel, found the wallet, and was in the process of removing the cash from it. I hugged her from behind (or ‘battled her into an arm lock’ perhaps sounds more manly!) which alerted the other woman. The thief shouted abuse at me, palmed the money to her mate (who I hadn’t noticed, despite his matching badly dyed hair!) and dropped the purse on the floor, suggesting that it had just fallen out of her bag and she was trying to give it back. Her abuse towards me was really powerful, I started worrying that perhaps the baby wasn’t a stooge and I had mixed up the whole scenario. Basically, I wasn’t expecting her to go on the offensive.

I didn’t speak Chinese to explain the situation or to defend my position, so just pointed at the thief said ‘ta buhao’ or something and walked off with the adrenalin pumping. The woman picked up her wallet and walked away. I felt it wasn’t the worse scenario because the woman got her wallet and ID card etc back and may be a bit more careful in the future. A thanks would’ve been nice though! I saw the same duo operating on a footbridge a few days later with different coloured badly died red hair. Still with the fake baby on her back. Still with the blurry CCTV channel up in the sky, and below, the organised beggars sat in bandages, earning their dinner and their bosses a new SUV.

I don’t think I would do it again unless I had some local back up, for fear of being accused as the villain, but then when the adrenalin kicks in at the spur of the moment, I can see meself chasing villains through building sites like the opening to 007 as Chris regailed at the top!

* my Beijing friends explained that Uyghur gangs come out of the woodwork before CNY etc and go on the rampage in their desperation to send some hand-earned back to the families, as they’ve lost the rest of their savings gambling. Not that I want to suggest that non-han racism is rife in this harmonious society.

As I say I don’t think I would act the martyr again, but I have put myself in it again and again. I knocked into an old woman as we both using a pedestrian crossing (I was on a bike). It was basically her fault for suddenly changing direction straight in front of me. But still I immediately jumped off the bike to check if she was ok, it’s just basic instinct isn’t it. Of course that immediatly apportions blame directly on my back. Luckily she wasn’t hurt and didn’t make anything of it apart from moaning about her dirty trousers. But I could’ve found myself in that whole compensation game.

Participant

I had a very similar situation about 6 months ago while driving on my motorbike with my girlfriend on the back of the scooter. We drove in front of the hotel on Ren Min Nan Lu, about 20 meters from the Bookworm, when we suddenly saw a guy sprinting after a bypassing high school girl. Initially I thought they were together and that he was trying to jump on the back of her bike until I noticed she was not aware of him chasing her. Still not realizing the actual situation I said to my girl “Look at that guy, he is behaving quite odd” and that was exactly the moment when the guy was catching up with the girl and was reaching for the girl’s iPod earphone cable. I immediately knew that this was not her friend but a thief trying to steal the girl’s iPod so instinctively I started to shout at him and the thief looked at me full of hatred but slightly startled so he couldn’t catch up with the girl as was still cycling further as she didn’t hear my shout nor noticed he whole situation happening behind her. I quickly accelerated to catch up with the girl and my gf pointed out the situation to her. I was looking back whether the guy was following us or not but I didn’t spot him anymore so I drove off.

Afterwards my girlfriend said exactly what Chris’ girlfriend said and that I shouldn’t do that because thieves are dangerous and carry knives and are never alone in this kind of situations.

She is originally from Guangzhou and heard several cases there where foreign guys bust thieves and immediately get stabbed by either the thief himself or one of his buddies in order to scare off any other person who has the thought of intervening.

As Ouk mentioned already, this might not be the case in Chengdu (yet) as the thieves are mostly unorganized petty thieves but what if you catch the “wrong” one that does carry a knife?

I would probably still do exactly the same when I would witness something like this again as it is something we do instinctively but I know out of experience that most Chinese would not do the same for you when they see something happening to you.

Not just with pickpocketing but also when there is a fight or traffic accident. A lot of them will watch but 99% will not intervene or help.

Unfortunately the “harmonious society” is more a good sounding propaganda slogan than an actual society characteristic…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    As Ouk mentioned already, this might not be the case in Chengdu (yet) as the thieves are mostly unorganized petty thieves but what if you catch the “wrong” one that does carry a knife?

I would probably still do exactly the same when I would witness something like this again as it is something we do instinctively but I know out of experience that most Chinese would not do the same for you when they see something happening to you.

You and your girlfriend are right, you are taking a risk by intervening in a crime. Chinese people can stand by and do nothing as petty thieves operate with impunity, but my instinct (and the instinct of most foreigners, it seems) is to intervene because it is the right thing to do. Chinese have a lot redeemable qualities but some bad ones as well like littering and not helping strangers in need. I would hope that foreigners in China uphold the customs that are important to us in our own societies because it is something that Chinese culture can benefit greatly from. China needs to see this change and foreign influence is one of the most realistic ways it will happen, since the “Be cultured” signs promoted by the government are a joke.

Participant

If i was somebody’s girlfriend i would not say same things, i will kiss him because he is great.

Ok, it’s boyfriend so stand by,how about next time somebody stolen my boyfriend’s wallet, when you are next, it’s not fun. this is how i learn it.

But it’s not let boyfriend getting hurt too, how about help him like call 110 or watching those bad guys, it is daytime! who scared who?

everybody have boyfriend or girlfriend, everybody said honey you better not involve with that because it’s dangerous for you, everybody said honey let’s others do it, we just stand by. a country like this, i really think we don’t need one more island, people don’t love people, people only love their honey!

Participant

i don’t understand the girls in our country too, when should do something meet thief on the street girls more like oh, it’s not our buisiness, when next time somebody said bad things about China, maybe then start said oh, our country even is ugly but daughter don’t think mother is ugly,or China have long history something….when nobody doing some change but just said 儿不嫌母丑son don’t ditch mother because she is ugly,that was really …….

not right people!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.