I'm Johnny 5 – Ask Me Anything

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionI'm Johnny 5 – Ask Me Anything

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself for those of you who don’t know, I have a donut shop on Tongzilin Nan Lu called Johnny 5 Donuts. I am a big redditor and I thought it would be cool to do an “Ask Me Anything” type of Q&A on Chengdu Living. So get your questions ready and tell your friends, I will answer everything that comes in, over the next few days!

edit: link to Johnny 5 Donuts on Chengdu Places

Participant

How much is your cheapest donut?
    How much is your most expensive donut?
    How many calories are in your donuts?

Participant

Really?

What about favorite tunes for listening while working?

or your favorite spotify radio station (I think I seen you using spotify in there)?

My question is: why do kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch (and will you ever incorporate breakfast cereals into any of your donuts)?

I saw you had some pink frosting and heart shaped donuts for Valentine’s Day. You planning on any other themed ‘nuts?

Thanks for doing this Johnny, really cool idea! Here’s Johnny 5’s listing on Chengdu Places.

Participant

any plans for future events or anything?

Participant

How much is your cheapest donut? How much is your most expensive donut? How many calories are in your donuts?

-Cheapest: 10 rmb

-Most expensive: 20 rmb (88 rmb donut coming but having some setbacks harnessing the lightning for the topping)

-Calories: Depends on how many donuts you consume, the more you eat the more you burn by chewing.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Vincent wrote:</div>

Really? What about favorite tunes for listening while working?

In the mornings I listen to Fall Out Boy and Blink 182, my favorite bands from high school. I will also pepper in some Jeezy, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Birdman… Mostly “Pusha music.”  All of that on max volume, during the day I listen to mostly Indi stuff and whatever is on the chill list on Spotify.

Participant

or your favorite spotify radio station (I think I seen you using spotify in there)? My question is: why do kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch (and will you ever incorporate breakfast cereals into any of your donuts)? I saw you had some pink frosting and heart shaped donuts for Valentine’s Day. You planning on any other themed ‘nuts? Thanks for doing this Johnny, really cool idea! Here’s Johnny 5’s listing on Chengdu Places.

My favorite playlist right now is Hipster Coffee Shop, check it out Hipster Coffee Shop.

I love cinnamon toast crunch, when I was a kid we were really poor and could only afford the cereal in a giant bag. I believe it was called “Crunchy Cinnamon Toasters”. It was terrible, when I got older and rich I would eat a box of Reeses Peanut Butter Puffs a day.

Right now we have a Peanut Butter Captain Crunch donut with Skippy peanut butter, chocolate mousse and cereal topping.

For St. Pattys day everything will be green!

Participant

any plans for future events or anything?

Yes, I am buying a beer pong table for my house, looking to do some BBQ’s and or CD Listening parties over the summer. Would like to do a quiz night (Gary if you’re reading this, I would love to host at the underground)

Participant

Have you ever been in a speedboat?

Participant

Have you ever been in a speedboat?

Once when I was a small kid but I don’t really remember, I can’t wait till I’m donut rich so I can buy a jet ski… I heard it’s all throttle!

Participant

Awesome answer. And luckily I cant get downvoted on CL 🙂

Keymaster

Great idea.

• Where did you get started making donuts?
    • How difficult is it to find ingredients to make special donuts here? Which ingredients are most difficult to find?
    • Where are the best donuts on earth made? Where have you had your favorite donut, and what type was it?
    • Do you design your own unique donuts? If so, how do you do this and how much experimentation do you have to do before landing on something that works?
    • How has Chengdu responded to your donut shop so far? Any surprises?
    Participant

Who is your favourite actor and actress?

What is your favourite movie of all time?

Which animations did you enjoy watching most growing up?

Participant

Great idea.

• Where did you get started making donuts?
    • How difficult is it to find ingredients to make special donuts here? Which ingredients are most difficult to find?
    • Where are the best donuts on earth made? Where have you had your favorite donut, and what type was it?
    • Do you design your own unique donuts? If so, how do you do this and how much experimentation do you have to do before landing on something that works?
    • How has Chengdu responded to your donut shop so far? Any surprises?

Thanks man! I’ll answer the questions in order:

1. Youtube mostly but I apprenticed under a french baker in Las Vegas when I was 18

2. Maple extract is pretty much impossible to find, we have looked everywhere. Some of the other ingredients were tough too like donut sugar, the kind that looks like powdered sugar but doesn’t melt.

3. The best donuts on earth? I think the best donuts are the ones that hold a nostalgia for the individual, for me, maybe Ron’s donuts in Las Vegas, they are the quintessential american donut shop run by an old asian couple. The donuts are simple, none of these crazy fusion flavors like Voodoo (in Portland) has. Just donuts, done right. I like the apple fritter, and the cinnamon twist. I hope that my shop becomes that for some of the customers who have had their first donut with me. One of my favorite things about having this shop is standing over the counter, eating hot donuts fresh from the frier and talking with whoever is in front of me. Every one is equal when the walk through the door, we all want one thing. Something sweet to escape to for a moment.

4. There is a surprisingly large amount of trial and error, I am always thinking about new donuts to add the the growing menu and my french colleague who makes the best pastries in Chengdu keeps me on my toes by adding new stuff all the time. It’s nice to have a bit of friendly competition.

5. The response has been absolutely humbling, locals have totally embraced what we are doing here. Foreigners love having another piece of home in Chengdu. I think the biggest surprise is the number of people who recognize me already after just 5 months of living in the Du. I can’t wait to see what the future brings and I am so grateful for everything and everyone so far.

Participant

first, thanks for helping me with my donut cravings recently! loved every bite.

1. Are you open to customer suggestions for donut flavors or experiments? Like Sriracha peanut butter donut, alcohol flavored donuts (mimosas,  beer, mojito, etc,.)

2. Open to collaborating with other businesses and organizations for future awesome events?

3. Which donut is most underrated in your shop? Overrated?

4. Would you rather be an apple or a banana? And why?

Participant

How many donuts does it take to change a light bulb?

Participant

How many donuts does it take to change a light bulb?

I don’t think I have reached the level of donutlightenment necessary to answer that question.

Participant

Who is your favourite actor and actress? What is your favourite movie of all time? Which animations did you enjoy watching most growing up?

Favorite actor: Matthew McConaughey or Christian Bale probably.

Actress: Glenn Close or Anne Hathaway

Favorite movie: Maybe Wedding Crashers or The Fast and the Furious

Animations: I love Disney’s The Emperors New Groove, anything pixar but those are newer. G.I. Joe, Franklin the Turtle, Thundercats, Transformers, Pretty much anything on PBS it hard to remember all of them right this second.

Participant

Do you have any pictures of your donut creations we could check out? what else do you guys serve there?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.