Indian Grocery in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduIndian Grocery in Chengdu?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    New to Chengdu and looking for an Indian grocery store or market where one can buy Indian spices (garam masala, curry etc…) and basmati rice. Or maybe an area where there is a large population of Indian people living, like a “little India”.

Thanks in advance!

Participant

As far as I can tell there are no dedicated Indian groceries but there are a few outlets that should satisfy your requirements.

Metro on the no 2 ring road (west) sells a reasonable range but they tend to be in catering packs. Sabrinas in Tonzalin appears to be selling somewhat more convenient sizes that have been decanted from catering packs. Then there is Taobao where there is more potential and the opportunity to buy convenient masalas and even ghee. In all instances there is every likelihood that the spices are not as fresh as they could be so you might need to add more spices to your cooking to compensate. Fresh root ginger, coriander, chillies and 5 star anise are commonly available in vegetable markets. If you get desperate then arguably the best (not owned or run by Chinese) Indian restaurant is the Tandoor.

Participant

Thanks for the info and tips Merior! Much appreciated. Been itching to cook up some mung bean kitcheree/kitchari.

Participant

I haven’t come across that before but the recipe looks doable from what I have in stock. 🙂 But having just eaten the last of my curries, I guess a new batch of gravy comes first on the list.

Participant

Agree with Taobao and Metro being checked out for your Indian culinary needs. Try some of the markets near the universities especially close to Huaxi campus as there are a number of south Asian students residing in that area who seem to buy a lot of spices etc.. from the markets near their campuses (get off at Huaxiba subway stop). There was a Indian restaurant called ‘Paradise’ near Huaxi campus and the cook was from India, but I am not entirely sure if it’s still there because they obviously got there supplies from somewhere.
    If I hear of anyone or any place that can hit you up then I will let you know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.