How to Receive a Package?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow to Receive a Package?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I am new to China/Chengdu, my Chinese is really bad but I am learning!

I want to buy stuff online from Taobao etc, I have that part set up, but I’m worried about actually getting the package.

I live in a big apartment building, all the time I see couriers with little bike/trailer/carts with packages, on the phone calling whoever the package is for, to get them to come downstairs and pick it up (at least that it what is seems like).

I also see in the little security hut near the building entrance, sometimes there are packages left in there.

So, when I buy something online, I will have to give my phone number? Ok. Will the courier call when he gets outside? Will he try and come straight to my apartment door inside? Will he leave the package with the security guard? What kinds of things should I say on the phone when I get the call?

I’m a bit worried about not understanding the call etc, and not getting the package. I don’t always have a Chinese person around to help!
    If I am at work/busy when the delivery happens, or miss the call, what happens?

Thank you for the help and advice!

Keymaster

Your phone number will be on your Taobao account. The courier will call and bring it to you if you’re home, if not they can leave it with security guards and you pick it up when you get home. It’s pretty simple actually, I’ve never had a problem. Although when couriers call you, they will never be speaking Mandarin, always Sichuan dialect in my experience. They can be difficult to understand. Just tell them 我在家 (I am home) or 放在门卫 (leave it with the guard), there’s not really much more to say. Good luck!

Participant

Your phone number will be on your Taobao account. The courier will call and bring it to you if you’re home, if not they can leave it with security guards and you pick it up when you get home. It’s pretty simple actually, I’ve never had a problem. Although when couriers call you, they will never be speaking Mandarin, always Sichuan dialect in my experience. They can be difficult to understand. Just tell them 我在家 (I am home) or 放在门卫 (leave it with the guard), there’s not really much more to say. Good luck!

Excellent, thanks Charlie – sure, I’ll give it a go with something cheap the first time around. That doesn’t sound too difficult, the key useful phrases will be useful, I appreciate it!

Participant

In addition to calling, they might leave it a nearby shop, depending on the carrier. The shop should send you a text saying, “hey we’ve got your package, come get it”. If not, the Taobao app should tell you when they receive the tracking info that the courier has dropped it off. After a while you’ll figure out each kuaidi company/store’s procedure.

Participant

Some housing complexes have automated lockers for couriers to deposit packages. The lockers are watched over by cameras and have touch screen displays. When the courier deposits your package, the system sends a text message with a password to your mobile, just punch this password into the touchscreen to open your locker and retrieve your package. The service is usually free for the first couple of days but if a package is left for longer than 2 days then it will charge you around a kuai per day before you can retrieve your package. The system is called “SuDiYi” or something like that.

My complex just got one of those automated lockers. They’re pretty sweet.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Wow, very cool stuff about the automated lockers – but yeah I’m pretty sure in my apartment building we don’t have that.
    So every package is tracked? That is good to know if so.
    Thanks for the help

Participant

If you are at work the whole day, perhaps better register your work address in taobao; the delivery guys come during daytime. Also, many couriers will not call but send you an sms.

Participant

I was ready to test and buy something last night but after setting up a bank account + online banking, and verifying my Alipay account, right at the end when I need to pay I see that CCB requires that I enter an ID number. https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_detail.htm?help_id=255266
    I can only laugh. So, I guess I will change to ICBC!

Participant

Automated lockers! I like that. Right now it seems most of the time when we get packages dropped off, nobody needs to sign for anything at all…doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in security. Have had tons of stuff delivered and no problems, but, need to get my wuguan to get on those automated lockers, looks like a great addition!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.