Interested in Learning Traditional Chinese Arts

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInterested in Learning Traditional Chinese Arts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am interested in learning about traditional Chinese arts such as painting or pottery. I am American, 42, male, and I live in Chengdu. This could be part of a language exchange, or a class, or tutoring, or … I’m open to ideas. I just thought I’d express my intereset and see what happens. Unfortunately, I do not speak Chinese.

My email address is [email protected]

Participant

With no chinese your options are severely limited. There are some training schools in Chengdu which provide education in CTC but afaik, chinese only.

Keymaster

Learning Chinese language through the process of learning something else Chinese – like cooking, kung fu, calligraphy, etc – is a great way to do it. As you learn, take notes on words and phrases and then practice them when you can. Basically you will want to pick up at least basic language skills though especially when you’ve moved beyond the basics. At that point you will definitely need to speak Chinese to have access to the larger bodies of information, many of which are Chinese only. Also if you learn these things in Chinese as opposed to English the cost will probably be 1/5th as much and it’ll be easier to find teachers and mentors.

Participant

100% with Charlie.

those qualified old artists/artisans can’t speak english at all. those who can won’t stay in the basin.

Participant

I just visited the TongZhi dragon kilns, south of Chengdu (about one hour drive), they accept students who want to learn traditional pottery making techniques for 20 rmb per hour, or so they told us. Pm me if you would like the details. They do stoneware,such as glazed pickle jars and garden pots, not porcelain.

As a Chinese,i’d like to say, i’ve never seen people with Kongfu in my life, Have you guys really seen somebody with it??i always think the TAIJI practiced by old grandpa in the parks each morning is just for exercise, not Kongfu(like in the movies you know). but i am not sure and hope somebody would tell me about it.

Also,as you may know, Learning Chinese is really hard so it’s not likely for someone to learn Chinese Art by Learning Chinese.(that takes a looooot of time). There are however a easy way to do it. There are a number of different Musiums in Chengdu,like the Musium of Shu Embroidery( no dictionary so might be wrong at spelling); Musium of Pottery;Sichuan Musium, Chengdu Musium, Sanxingdui Musium… and Visiting Wuhouci at night you can see those acrobatics,which is part of our Folk tradition and art;at weekends you see a lot of old grandpa carrying a big mop with a small bucket full of water, that’s those calligraphers but not the professional ones,Renmin Gongyuan or DufuCaotang is a great place if you want to know about traditional art like calligranph or China painting,also the art of Tea, art of Chinese Cuisim are another thing which you will know only if you go and taste, and these are everywhere…( need go back to work now but damn it i now miss my life as a tourist guide so much, though basically i was travelling by myself..)..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.