Internet in the apartment – which ISP?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInternet in the apartment – which ISP?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

I’m currently in Chengdu (well, Longquan) doing a three-month stint at SHIC. I’m looking for some sort of Internet connection, but am having trouble finding anything affordable in a timeframe of three months.

China Telecom wants 2600rmb to set up an 8mbit line for a full year, which is a little steep – about the same as my rent. They also do 3G-based broadband, 300rmb for 10gb per month (with a once-off fee of 580 for the dongle).

What sort of other choices do I have around here?

Cheers!

China Unicom is your best bet. They will charge you a set up fee (your landlord might let you transfer this to the new tenant), but the fee is only something like 600 RMB. You can get a 4Mbit connection for 99RMB a month, which might be partly covered by your set up fee and you pay the difference, I forget the exact details. China Telecom will charge 179 RMB or thereabouts for the same 4Mbit connection, and having used both providers I can tell you that Unicom have been great in comparison.

China Unicom is your best bet. They will charge you a set up fee (your landlord might let you transfer this to the new tenant), but the fee is only something like 600 RMB. You can get a 4Mbit connection for 99RMB a month, which might be partly covered by your set up fee and you pay the difference, I forget the exact details. China Telecom will charge 179 RMB or thereabouts for the same 4Mbit connection, and having used both providers I can tell you that Unicom have been great in comparison.

Participant

Check out this topic – it covers everything

Participant

Check out this topic – it covers everything

Keymaster

China Telecom was for years the best ISP. Maybe Ben can correct me if he sees this (he’s usually the best authority I know on things of this nature) but my understanding is that other ISP’s in Chengdu buy bandwidth from China Telecom. I had China Unicom a few years ago and it wasn’t as fast as Telecom at the same speed rating (4mb).

Participant

China Telecom has been working pretty well for me, while I’ve had numerous people over the years telling me about the slow or unstable connections they were getting from other companies. Most recently I experienced it first hand at a friend’s house (can’t remember which ISP she was using). It was able to surf domestic websites just fine but had great trouble opening sites outside the country.. the ones I attempted were American websites and connection would time out for many of them.

Being a local here in Chengdu, I have personally used China Telecom in at least 5 different homes without problems. I remember at one point it was only 512k, but still I was able to surf international websites just fine and even do downloads.

Participant

China Telecom is superior in Chengdu, especially for international connections. I’ve done extensive testing at both China Unicom and China Telecom (I mean at the actual ISPs, altho it was about 4 years ago). For us, the latency is far more important than the throughput, since my company hosts all of our services at the US office (Sharepoint, exchange, project server, etc.). They do have different routes to different countries, tracert to find yours – I think China Unicom went thru Japan back then and Telecom goes BJ>San Jose.

If anyone has information related to this I’d be interested, may be worth going through testing process again if Unicom has had any major upgrades/changes for international connections lately.

Participant

Hi Chris! I just took china telecom connection and its working pretty good. They charged me 380 RMB for the installation and it includes one month connection! It takes 3 days for the whole process!

Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.