Which One: iPad Mini Retina or iPad Air?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWhich One: iPad Mini Retina or iPad Air?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Apple’s great tablet released today, but these two device are loaded with same hardware, while iPad mini Retina get a higher ppi. So hard to choose!

Participant

If you absolutely must have an iPad, save yourself a lot of money and just buy the original iPad mini. It’s 1.8 inches smaller than the iPad and around half the price. The rest of the hardware is the same. Plus they’ll take a dip in prices now that the new models have come out.

I bet you’re itching to say Nexus 7, Callum

Participant

Hey Alexander, i think i’m leaning towards the ipad air, with these old eyes i don’t think i’ll be able to tell the difference between 264 and 324 ppi though i will check them out side by side before i buy and i think i will enjoy the little extra space.

as for the advice to buy last years ipad mini? no hard ware difference? i’m no techie but A5 chip vs A7+M7 about 20x faster, 163 vs 324 ppi and a maximum of 16gb vs 128gb….. thats hardware isn’t it??? and 16gb would instantly be maxed out with all my itunes crap.

anyways i’ll see you at the apple store lol… good luck with your purchase! 🙂

Participant

Sensational value right here:
    http://item.jd.com/912388.html
    But slightly above my budget….

Keymaster

It’s difficult to answer this question without having actually held or used the iPad Air. I went to the Apple store in Hamburg today to try and check it out, but apparently it doesn’t get here for another week.

My only beef with the full size iPad is the weight. The thing was just too heavy. Since the Air is about the same weight as the original iPad Mini, that might be the one to go with. Hard to say, honestly, both of them must be incredible. Between retina iPad Mini and super light iPad Air, you can’t go wrong.

I’m assuming you aren’t broke if you’re buying Apple products! Android tablets aren’t in the same league. We’re definitely very close to the point where an iPad can take the place of a laptop – computing tasks that you need a laptop for are getting fewer and fewer each year. In light of that fact, I feel like spending $500 on an iPad now is a lot more straight forward than even two years ago when we were unsure of how tablet computing would play out (whether or not it’d be a fad like netbooks, etc).

Participant

If you absolutely must have an iPad, save yourself a lot of money and just buy the original iPad mini. It’s 1.8 inches smaller than the iPad and around half the price. The rest of the hardware is the same. Plus they’ll take a dip in prices now that the new models have come out.

I’m using it for developing test, and entertainment, so I think I want A7 cpu, and some new hardware features.

Participant

Hey Alexander, i think i’m leaning towards the ipad air, with these old eyes i don’t think i’ll be able to tell the difference between 264 and 324 ppi though i will check them out side by side before i buy and i think i will enjoy the little extra space. as for the advice to buy last years ipad mini? no hard ware difference? i’m no techie but A5 chip vs A7+M7 about 20x faster, 163 vs 324 ppi and a maximum of 16gb vs 128gb….. thats hardware isn’t it??? and 16gb would instantly be maxed out with all my itunes crap. anyways i’ll see you at the apple store lol… good luck with your purchase! :-)

I think 324 ppi just won’t make a big difference if the apps are suck and the pad is not used for graphic design. Besides, a bigger one is always much easier to tap. Mini sometimes feels like a phablet. But I think the faster wifi chip or the MIMO tech just feel like nothing in china,(ps, Chinese home-use bandwidth sucks). I’ll think about iPad Air.

Participant

It’s difficult to answer this question without having actually held or used the iPad Air. I went to the Apple store in Hamburg today to try and check it out, but apparently it doesn’t get here for another week. My only beef with the full size iPad is the weight. The thing was just too heavy. Since the Air is about the same weight as the original iPad Mini, that might be the one to go with. Hard to say, honestly, both of them must be incredible. Between retina iPad Mini and super light iPad Air, you can’t go wrong. I’m assuming you aren’t broke if you’re buying Apple products! Android tablets aren’t in the same league. We’re definitely very close to the point where an iPad can take the place of a laptop – computing tasks that you need a laptop for are getting fewer and fewer each year. In light of that fact, I feel like spending $500 on an iPad now is a lot more straight forward than even two years ago when we were unsure of how tablet computing would play out (whether or not it’d be a fad like netbooks, etc).

Feels like people’s life  can’t live without tablet even now, I was just planning to take most of the work on a tablet since Apple gives you free working suites apps now, that’s why I’m prefer iPad Air. And compare to a laptop, tablets is way lighter. But sadly, programers still need a PC or Mac to work, haha.

But seriously, china’s Apple product applied so much tax. I may ask someone in the States help me get one.

And about Android, maybe no, I just get used to iOS, when using Android just feel weird, if I’m not an iOS developer and I just want to use it for watch video or go on some website, maybe a chinese Android is much a better deal. Chinese tablets can even sell at a price around 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But most factory-modified Android system are not stable anymore, so don’t expect too much.LOL

Participant

I’m a self proclaimed Android user, but I’m past the phase of spitting at Apple’s name. As a developer,  there’s still a few niggly things that I just find frustrating about apple products – be that software or hardware. “Why can’t I attach files to emails!?” I will shout. It’s never fun when when my family expects tech support for their iPhone’s.

Perhaps I was too rash for saying that the specs are the same. Although, for the average user, I believe that 16gb and the A5 chip will be enough. Plus the frugal voice in my head always tells me not to bother with apple.

Participant

LOL, don’t start a Apple And Samsung or iOS and Android fight here.  I can see people are arguing about this in some Chinese forum every day.

The fact is, Apple does take more profits from its products, but they just make a good market strategy to make a lot of people buy it, even sell kidney. For me, I like how they keep change things and most important I’v being using Apple for a long time, just don’t want to change habits. And its part of job, LOL.

Market status proves that Android is also a good one same as its device, maybe Windows is the worst.

But I found out, the most successful brain wash international company is Starbucks! Selling coffee with a USD price while in China, huge profit.

Participant

Most users want the bigger screen despite with the low ppi of retina display, and the smaller one with higher display ppi. My friend Jory said the Retina features of iPad gives firm and clear view of most images and HD video..

Participant

I vote AIR.

Participant

Depends what you’re going to use it for?  I bought my wife a iPad mini in HK two weeks ago.  The picture quality compared to my iPad  2 is really noticable and of course the weight and price.  Also you can now jailbreak iOS 7.0.4 which for me is a must, because I use my iPad 2 to connect to the TV…

Participant

Why by either when you can buy a Hi-pad

Hilarious.

Sorry back to reality; I love the ipad mini for some reason ipad air just feels like the materials they used to make it weren’t up to the quality of most standard ipads. Sorry my opinion only but ipad air feels like a lesser quality machine. Hey, if your too conflicted…..hi-pad 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.