Is it Healthy/Recommended to Exercise Outside?

HomeForumsIn ChengduIs it Healthy/Recommended to Exercise Outside?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello!

I am strongly considering spending an academic year studying in Chengdu. After reviewing the Air Quality Index for the city, I have found myself with a couple of questions: does anybody go for runs/complete cardio exercises outside? If so, have you experienced any noticeable health implications? Thank you in advance for any responses I may receive. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Participant

Hey

noticeable health implications…..I guess some of people would feel uncomfortable or start to coughing even without doing much exercise outdoors when the air is terrible, it mostly depends on your own physical condition for direct implications from your body.

there are some good days in chengdu, not too much, you probably can enjoy these days outdoors, but for regular exercising, you will lose your intention for training once seeing the dark grey dusty air surround you

Participant

There’s quite a community of people who work out outdoors here, from runners to triatheletes to just folks playing basketball.  In my opinion it’s better to exercise in pollution than not exercise at all.  A recent article from runner’s world magazine said, “A bit of good news, finally: It turns out the positive effects of running are usually sufficient to outweigh the negative effects of pollution. On average, regular exercise extends life more than increased exposure to pollution shortens it.”

Participant

A recent article from runner’s world magazine said, “A bit of good news, finally: It turns out the positive effects of running are usually sufficient to outweigh the negative effects of pollution. On average, regular exercise extends life more than increased exposure to pollution shortens it.”

Yeah. Look at the study they’re referencing, here: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1408698/ and read it. Then pass some advice.

The only reference to China was regarding pottery, it was about pollution in Denmark, not pollution in China, and I think we can all agree that there is a VAST DIFFERENCE between the two. Here’s Danish AQI: http://aqicn.org/map/denmark/

If you’re running, cycling, or whatever in Chengdu during 300 AQI days and recommending it as a positive gain for personal health, I’d have words. Masks..masks, and more masks, get a great mask, and if you can still exercise successfully outdoors with a great mask then maybe that’s fine, but please don’t suggest exercising outside in Chengdu regularly as it may affect people’s health in a very negative way. Rather: if you don’t want to exercise with a mask insulate yourself indoors with a good air purifier and sealed doors/windows, or get a good mask and do whatever you want anywhere, but keep in mind masks aren’t comfortable for everyone and make some forms of exercise infeasible for some.

Participant

Thank you everyone for your replies and valuable information! Looks like I’ll intend to do most of my cardio work in an indoors swimming pool as well as via mma training (I’ve been researching the CD BJJ Club). As I’m shooting for the Fall of 2016 to start at SWUFE, upon my arrival, I would love to pick someone’s brain about the in’s and out’s of the city (i.e. over a meal and a round of beer being my treat, of course); I’m a 32 year old American with limited Mandarin speaking skills, at the moment. Anyways, thank you all, again!

Participant

Is air even at all healthier inside than outside?

OP, also read this:

Pollution masks compared

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.