Italian, Just Arrived in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionItalian, Just Arrived in Chengdu

• This topic has 40 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Avatar photoAnna.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Hello everybody!

I’m an italian PhD student, I’m just arrived in Chengdu and I will study to the Sichuan university until september.

The first day I arrived has been terrible….the air is so bad here in Chengdu, I couldn’ breath…now I’m getting used about it but my first problem is the food. I usually go to the university mess but I don’t enjoy it so much…

I’m italian, so, I’m a little worried about food…is there anyone can give me suggestions on good restaurants or just where to buy good food?

Please help me!

p.s. I would enjoy new friends because I didnt meet anyone!

hey,giulia,there is a place near sichuan university where u can buy pizza. i have heard that it is ran by someone from italy..it is called peter pan..or sth like that..hope it is helpful for you.

greetings

Participant

Hey,Giulia,welcome to ChengDu.ChengDu is suffering from awful air pollution recently,I am sorry for that.

I am a graduate student in Sichuan University.I am now busy working on my thesis.When I am less busy later,I can lead you to some restaurants enjoying a high reputation in Chengdu if you are interested.

You could tell me which Chinese food you like.Then I can offer suggestions of places in detail.

You can find lots of little restaurants just outside the South Gate of Sichuan University.And many students prefer to have meals outside The Small North Gate.

Best of luck to you

Keymaster

Welcome to Chengdu!

I’m sure Federico will see this post soon, he is another Italian in Chengdu. There are probably some others!

Participant

Ahahahahah right Charlie! Ciao Giulia, i’m only little busy for wine fair in these days… About Chengdu, this is real China!

Remember that Shanghai, HongKong… are “islands” in this country! I understand your feeling but if you live here, you must try to understand this life. About food usually i can eat everywhere without problems, sometimes only little spicy…

If you want speak, i’m here ready to answer!

Ohhh thank you guys!!!

I think I only have to get used about the new life in Chengdu…and next days, weeks, everything will get better!

Dear Valley I’ll be pleased to meet you!

Participant

Sure, maybe you need only time like everyone!

Bye Giulia!

Participant

Hi Giulia, welcome! The food in Chengdu is hot and very delicious, it does matche the air humidity.You might be used to the food here if you make your stay longer. I also went to Italy in last year, I visited Milan,Venice,Florence and I tried Ice Cream inMilan,really good!

Participant

I miss italian ice cream…

Hi Flora! Damn, you went to Florence and not to Pisa???? MY hometown! You missed the beautiful Leaning Tower… and Piazza dei Miracoli…

Well Federico, I missed our schiacciata and bread…

Participant

@Giulia,

Welocome to chengdu! I also study in scu! Big hug!!!The canteen inside campus are not so good…Have no ideas on what you would like to eat…If you want to cook by yourself, to get fresh vegetables and fruit,you can go to O’le of the Mix city and Nana’s real food in Isetan for organic food.Ito yokado also is a to-go palce for some seafood or prepared food.I don’t know how would you feel when you set feet into a local free market,sometimes in chaos.Though i think local markets are conveniet to get in-season and local food,they are kind of messy.And chengdu is widely covered with many indoor grocery free markets named Yi min cai shi which are established by government in order to benifit the public and to rectify some out-of-order outdoor markets.Besides,foreign friends are likely to prefer Metro,Ikea,Auchan,Carrefour and Walmart.

Many italiano-stylish restaurants in chengdoo…And outside the north gate of SCU wangjiang campus,there’s a small dessert shop serve gelato (don’t think much of it as the real gelato)which is by the side of Moziqiao flyover.Its name seems to be Sicily..

Participant

I did try Pisa in Florence,it’s really the most delicious Pisa I have ever had…

Hahahaha no Flora, Pisa is the name of my Hometown! It’ a city near Florence! It’ so funny because also here when I said to my chinese colleagues that I come from Pisa, they were thinking I was talking about food….but it’ the name of my city!

🙂

Participant

Tell her that Pisa is a city.

Pizza is food

Participant

Hahahaha… I just tried Pizza! My Stomach is not enough big for Pisa.

Participant

Hi, Giulia,

If you have kitchen, better cook youself.

You can buy pasta or risotto in many supermarkets. To cook yourself is the best way. And simple italian food is easy to cook.

Participant

Another Italian in Chengdu over here!

Definitely cook Italian food yourself, a lot easier and it’s actually quite cheap. You can find pasta pretty much at any of the bigger supermarkets but not in local Chinese ones and usually it’s quite cheap (Ito Yokado seems to do the cheapest) but pasta sauce is a sore subject. You can get American-style pasta sauce but not passata like we have it in Italy, so if you don’t mind that then you are good. If not peeled tomatoes are cheap too but forget about parmigiano, that’s simply not going to happen.

Participant

Roberto, you can get pasta sauce brand Barilla in metro, although they dont have many kinds of taste, but better than nothing. Parmigiano also can get in metro, but too expensive.

Participant

Roberto, you can get pasta sauce brand Barilla in metro, although they dont have many kinds of taste, but better than nothing. Parmigiano also can get in metro, but too expensive.

Participant

Usually I take pasta in Carrefour and I made passata by himself with fresh tomatoe… sure, isn’t the same but still to be good! cheese I think is prohibitive here and not good… another important ingredient is extra olive oil but you can find this in supermarket…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.