July Air Quality: Chengdu Beats Beijing

HomeForumsIn ChengduJuly Air Quality: Chengdu Beats Beijing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For July 2014 (Month 2 report), I recorded the Air Quality Index (AQI) scores for Chengdu & Beijing, once per day. In June, Chengdu’s air was worse than Beijing’s, but in JULY Chengdu’s air was -slightly- better than Beijing’s. Unfortunately, Chengdu’s air quality in July was still pretty lousy, with nearly 50% of days being in the UNHEALTHY range. The JULY SUMMARY IS BELOW.

CHENGDU VS BEIJING JULY 2014 Air Quality Index (AQI) Scores Summary   –  (scores from aqicn.org):

AVERAGE DAILY AQI SCORE: Chengdu 126 Beijing 142
    (LOWER SCORE = CLEANER AIR)

# of Hazardous days: Chengdu 0 Beijing 0
    # of Very Unhealthy days: Chengdu 0 Beijing 6
    —># OF UNHEALTHY DAYS: Chengdu 14 Beijing 10
    # of Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups days: Chengdu 5 Beijing 3
    # of Moderate days: Chengdu 9 Beijing 6
    # of Good days: Chengdu 1 Beijing 4

LIMITATIONS OF THESE RESULTS:
    1) This is just a data snapshot. I recorded the AQI scores once a day for one point in time (often 12pm), but in reality air pollution levels (and AQI scores) change throughout the day. The AQI scores are updated hourly on aqicn.org. Unfortunately, the average AQI score based on the entire 24 hour period in a day is not available.
    2) For month 2 (July) I recorded 29 days out of 31.

FYI I obtained the AQI scores from the website aqicn.org, which is a foreign (non-Chinese) operated site. (I am not affiliated with the website, but am glad it’s there!).  The people who created the website have installed air pollution monitoring devices in cities across China and use the data derived from them to calculate the AQI scores.  The AQI score (PM 2.5) is considered to be a good measure of air pollution, and the important thing to know is that LOWER SCORE = CLEANER AIR.  Feel free to check out the site to read more about it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.