Just moved here to Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionJust moved here to Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I’m from America, and just started my job here teaching English. I arrived about a week and a half ago. So far I love it, but I am looking to make friends. I enjoy everything from writing, music, nightlife, and exploring.

Participant

WELCOME.TO.HELL.

just kidding. Chengdu is not hell. Chengdu’s comfortably nestled somewhere between heaven and purgatory, so, it’s pretty sweet. Most foreigners here are pretty friendly, though oddly enough some won’t even so much as make eye contact with you on the street if you try saying “Hello”. But most are pretty friendly. So just start introducing yourself to people at bars or cafes for no reason but to say hello. That’s what I did. You’ll have yourself a respectable entourage in no time.

Participant

WELCOME.TO.HELL.

just kidding. Chengdu is not hell. Chengdu’s comfortably nestled somewhere between heaven and purgatory, so, it’s pretty sweet. Most foreigners here are pretty friendly, though oddly enough some won’t even so much as make eye contact with you on the street if you try saying “Hello”. But most are pretty friendly. So just start introducing yourself to people at bars or cafes for no reason but to say hello. That’s what I did. You’ll have yourself a respectable entourage in no time.

Quote:
    Most foreigners here are pretty friendly, though oddly enough some won’t even so much as make eye contact with you on the street if you try saying “Hello”.

What’s that all about!? Still trying to figure it out after being here for over a year. Mind you, nowhere near as comical as Beijing, though being as busy as it is I can almost understand it.

You’ll have a great time here Nicole, most people within Chengdu regardless of origin are super friendly, and more than willing to help out.

Quote:
    Most foreigners here are pretty friendly, though oddly enough some won’t even so much as make eye contact with you on the street if you try saying “Hello”.

What’s that all about!? Still trying to figure it out after being here for over a year. Mind you, nowhere near as comical as Beijing, though being as busy as it is I can almost understand it.

You’ll have a great time here Nicole, most people within Chengdu regardless of origin are super friendly, and more than willing to help out.

Participant

welcome to chengdu, nicole. gi’me a holler when you have time

Participant

welcome to chengdu, nicole. gi’me a holler when you have time

Participant
    Quote:

Quote:
    What’s that all about!? Still trying to figure it out after being here for over a year

Just because a person is a foreigner that doesn’t automatically make them outgoing. I’m a huge introvert & whenever I see another foreigner it always seems sort of awkward. If we make eye contact I’ll nod “Hi” & acknowledge a person, but usually I’ll avoid eye contact if I can help it just to avoid the awkwardness.

I always work on the assumption that people I pass on the street are on their way somewhere & if they wanted to talk to me they would.

Participant
    Quote:

Quote:
    What’s that all about!? Still trying to figure it out after being here for over a year

Just because a person is a foreigner that doesn’t automatically make them outgoing. I’m a huge introvert & whenever I see another foreigner it always seems sort of awkward. If we make eye contact I’ll nod “Hi” & acknowledge a person, but usually I’ll avoid eye contact if I can help it just to avoid the awkwardness.

I always work on the assumption that people I pass on the street are on their way somewhere & if they wanted to talk to me they would.

Participant

@ Nicole, come to the lazy pug this sunday for brunch. Some members will be there throughout the day, me, ill be there from 1:30 to 3. I wont spoil myself with noodles before hand again!

Participant

@ Nicole, come to the lazy pug this sunday for brunch. Some members will be there throughout the day, me, ill be there from 1:30 to 3. I wont spoil myself with noodles before hand again!

Participant

Um, maybe I’m missing something here, and it could be my anti-social nature, but why would I say hi to a stranger on the street, even if it’s a foreigner? There are enough of us here now that it’s not unusual to see one, and to be honest, I don’t know him or her, so it seems kinda strange to say hi. Are we all one big happy foreign family here? Read some of the comments on the OTHER Chengdu forum (threats, accusations, libel, outright slander) and you may think otherwise…..

Participant

Um, maybe I’m missing something here, and it could be my anti-social nature, but why would I say hi to a stranger on the street, even if it’s a foreigner? There are enough of us here now that it’s not unusual to see one, and to be honest, I don’t know him or her, so it seems kinda strange to say hi. Are we all one big happy foreign family here? Read some of the comments on the OTHER Chengdu forum (threats, accusations, libel, outright slander) and you may think otherwise…..

Quote:
    (threats, accusations, libel, outright slander)

Sounds like awesome entertainment!

I’ve been fortunate enough to meet a good bunch of people here, so maybe I have a skewed view. Obviously in any city you can’t expect everyone to have the permanent jollies, but I have had those instances where people just seem to have the arse (face) on, and it feels misplaced when we’ve all supposedly come here for some adventure. Maybe it’s my biceps!? 😀

Anyways, enough bitching already, bitches!!

Quote:
    (threats, accusations, libel, outright slander)

Sounds like awesome entertainment!

I’ve been fortunate enough to meet a good bunch of people here, so maybe I have a skewed view. Obviously in any city you can’t expect everyone to have the permanent jollies, but I have had those instances where people just seem to have the arse (face) on, and it feels misplaced when we’ve all supposedly come here for some adventure. Maybe it’s my biceps!? 😀

Anyways, enough bitching already, bitches!!

Participant

Hi Nicole! Another American here. We should all go out one night! We need another get together!

Participant

Hi Nicole! Another American here. We should all go out one night! We need another get together!

Welcome, Nicole! We’ve been needing more females. It’s been a bit of a sausage fest around here. Come out and play with us sometime.

As for saying hi to strangers, I’ve tried and I rarely get a warm response. Sometimes its confusion because of my Chinese face and american accent. Other times theyre complete assholes… but that was at the shamrock. And ive swapped contact info with a lot of people that never hit me up. Lame

Welcome, Nicole! We’ve been needing more females. It’s been a bit of a sausage fest around here. Come out and play with us sometime.

As for saying hi to strangers, I’ve tried and I rarely get a warm response. Sometimes its confusion because of my Chinese face and american accent. Other times theyre complete assholes… but that was at the shamrock. And ive swapped contact info with a lot of people that never hit me up. Lame

Participant

Hey Nicole! Welcome to CD.

As per JerryS’ suggestion and Rachel’s point of needing another get-together, might I propose the usual brunch meet-up tomorrow at Lazy Pug, around 12-ish?

Maybe we just need another Macchu Picchu meet up night.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.