Let's Share Recipes

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLet's Share Recipes

• This topic has 48 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoWang.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anybody like Thai food? I have try made Thom Yom once, I even find out lemongrass at 青石桥(qing shi qiao market)but I put too much lime in the soup, the skin of lime made soup taste bad:(

@Ray, is it this one?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/04/olive-oil-real-thing?INTCMP=SRCH

Now looking at my large clear bottle of olive oil imported from Spain…pfffff……

Participant

Yeah Mina, that’s the one. Damn, had no idea olive oil was such a complex purchase….

My dinner: steak Diane…Recipe posted above.

After the olive oil, here goes the peanut oil:

“Fake peanut oil that could potentially cause infertility was confiscated in South China on Tuesday, a fresh warning of food safety in the world’s most populous country.”

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-01/05/content_14382609.htm

My beloved ‘Olitalia’ Rice Bran Oil looks like it just got discontinued from the stores I’ve been buying it in. Olitalia make a fantastic Virgin Olive Oil too, but I couldn’t see that recently either.

I would never buy Chinese brand peanut Oil, or likely any oil originating in China for that matter. Food scams are just too common place here. And don’t get me started on the moral question, I just can’t fathom how anyone on this earth would surmise that ‘trench oil’ was an acceptable means of making a living. The photo in peanut oil article is scary enough too, and I wouldn’t want anything I was going to ingest pass anywhere near that bucket!!

@Brebdan, people do crazy things for money…

Quote:
    @Brebdan

Easy there fat fingers!! 😉

Participant

I’ve just noticed my new brand of pasta has insane levels of starch. I soak it in water, rinse it two or three times, but when the water boils i get crazy starch, which doesn’t seem to evaporate even after 10 mins. Any advice, or do i have to consult The Sopranos or The Godfather again….?

Participant

I’ve just noticed my new brand of pasta has insane levels of starch. I soak it in water, rinse it two or three times, but when the water boils i get crazy starch, which doesn’t seem to evaporate even after 10 mins. Any advice, or do i have to consult The Sopranos or The Godfather again….?

Participant

Chili Con Carne

1 jin* lean ground beef

1 medium red, yellow or white onion, finely chopped

2 to 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced

1 medium green, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped

15 oz. can of tomato sauce

1 can (14 oz.) red kidney beans

1 tablespoon oregano

2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons salt

1 heaping teaspoon black pepper

3 to 4 tablespoons pure chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)

1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional – depending on how really really spicy you want it)

1 to 2 tablespoons Sichuan hot chili paste (optional – depending on how little you need your mouth and stomach)

Beer (not dark beer… used as thinner when needed)

Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)

* 1 jin = 0.5kg or 1.1 lbs.

In ChengDu I can usually find most of the ingredients at Metro, Ito Yokado, Carrefour and/or Sabrina’s Country Store. Sometimes I have to go to several places to get all of them.

Directions –

1) Prepare all of the ingredients that need shredded, minced, chopped, or finely chopped and set them aside.

2) In a big pan or wok cook the ground beef until almost browned. Drain excess grease, but save a little in the pan for the onion and green pepper. Add chopped onion and green pepper to beef in pan until beef is browned and the onions and green peppers are soft.

3) Add tomato sauce, oregano, cumin, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and jalapenos (optional). Simmer for 1 to 4 hours. If it starts to get a little too thick or too hot you can add a few ounces of beer every once in awhile.

4) Add garlic, Sichuan chili paste (optional), and kidney beans. Simmer for 30 to 60 minutes. If it starts to get a little too thick or too hot you can add a little beer every once in awhile.

Thickness is a matter of taste. Some like it thin like a soup and some like it so thick that your spoon can stand up in it on its own. I usually prefer a medium thickness and tend to make it thicker when the weather is warm and thinner in the winter. Of course, that might be because I drink the beer more when I’m making it in the summer.

Note: If it burns a little while cooking that is ok. Be sure to scrape the burnt bits off the pan before emptying it and stir them into the chili mix until they dissolve. There’s a lot of good flavor locked in those burnt bits.

Variations –

You can use ground pork instead of, or along with, ground beef. Ground pork will generally produce more grease while browning, so you will have more to drain.

You can use red salsa instead of tomato sauce.

You can use Montery Jack cheese instead of Cheddar.

Sometimes you can find Chipolte pepper sauce here and can use that instead of the Sichuan chili paste if you want a more Tex-Mex authentic tasting hotter than hell chili. If you’re feeling suicidal you can use them all!

Serving options –

Pour in a big bowl and serve as is.

Crush up some crackers and put them in it if it seems too thin (or too spicy).

Serve on rice or pasta. You may or may not want to cook it with beans if you serve it this way.

Serve with some cheddar cheese and/or chopped onion on top.

Serve with a side of corn bread. The corn bread here in China is a little sweet, but I still like to put honey on it for a dessert.

Participant

Chili Con Carne

1 jin* lean ground beef

1 medium red, yellow or white onion, finely chopped

2 to 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced

1 medium green, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped

15 oz. can of tomato sauce

1 can (14 oz.) red kidney beans

1 tablespoon oregano

2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons salt

1 heaping teaspoon black pepper

3 to 4 tablespoons pure chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)

1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional – depending on how really really spicy you want it)

1 to 2 tablespoons Sichuan hot chili paste (optional – depending on how little you need your mouth and stomach)

Beer (not dark beer… used as thinner when needed)

Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)

* 1 jin = 0.5kg or 1.1 lbs.

In ChengDu I can usually find most of the ingredients at Metro, Ito Yokado, Carrefour and/or Sabrina’s Country Store. Sometimes I have to go to several places to get all of them.

Directions –

1) Prepare all of the ingredients that need shredded, minced, chopped, or finely chopped and set them aside.

2) In a big pan or wok cook the ground beef until almost browned. Drain excess grease, but save a little in the pan for the onion and green pepper. Add chopped onion and green pepper to beef in pan until beef is browned and the onions and green peppers are soft.

3) Add tomato sauce, oregano, cumin, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and jalapenos (optional). Simmer for 1 to 4 hours. If it starts to get a little too thick or too hot you can add a few ounces of beer every once in awhile.

4) Add garlic, Sichuan chili paste (optional), and kidney beans. Simmer for 30 to 60 minutes. If it starts to get a little too thick or too hot you can add a little beer every once in awhile.

Thickness is a matter of taste. Some like it thin like a soup and some like it so thick that your spoon can stand up in it on its own. I usually prefer a medium thickness and tend to make it thicker when the weather is warm and thinner in the winter. Of course, that might be because I drink the beer more when I’m making it in the summer.

Note: If it burns a little while cooking that is ok. Be sure to scrape the burnt bits off the pan before emptying it and stir them into the chili mix until they dissolve. There’s a lot of good flavor locked in those burnt bits.

Variations –

You can use ground pork instead of, or along with, ground beef. Ground pork will generally produce more grease while browning, so you will have more to drain.

You can use red salsa instead of tomato sauce.

You can use Montery Jack cheese instead of Cheddar.

Sometimes you can find Chipolte pepper sauce here and can use that instead of the Sichuan chili paste if you want a more Tex-Mex authentic tasting hotter than hell chili. If you’re feeling suicidal you can use them all!

Serving options –

Pour in a big bowl and serve as is.

Crush up some crackers and put them in it if it seems too thin (or too spicy).

Serve on rice or pasta. You may or may not want to cook it with beans if you serve it this way.

Serve with some cheddar cheese and/or chopped onion on top.

Serve with a side of corn bread. The corn bread here in China is a little sweet, but I still like to put honey on it for a dessert.

@Ray, hot water would help to get rid of the starch real quick. Drain the pasta, pour hot water over drained pasta, then repeat.

@Ray, hot water would help to get rid of the starch real quick. Drain the pasta, pour hot water over drained pasta, then repeat.

Participant

Thanks Mina, will give it a try….

Participant

Thanks Mina, will give it a try….

Do you guys have any recipe suggestions for Pad Thai? I have looked online for a lot of recipes and the problem is I could not take hold of most ingredients.

Though there are some who make use of a mixed seasoning already but people say that you will not be able to get the full taste with that as they are limited to what is already in it.

Do you guys have any recipe suggestions for Pad Thai? I have looked online for a lot of recipes and the problem is I could not take hold of most ingredients.

Though there are some who make use of a mixed seasoning already but people say that you will not be able to get the full taste with that as they are limited to what is already in it.

Participant

So as I don’t have an oven I’ve been wanting to try making no-bake pizza for a while. Finally did it this evening fairly successfully.

FOR 2 SMALL PIZZAS YOU WILL NEED:

Dough

– 2.5 cups flour

– 1 tbsp baking powder (can get at Leanna’s Bakery – 9rmb for a bag)

– olive oil

– 1 cup of water

– 1 tsp salt

Sauce

– 4 med tomatoes OR 1 can tomatoes

– some ketchup

Toppings of your choice.. I used 1 sliced fresh tomato, some sliced mushrooms, red pepper, onion, sliced smoked pork from my local market and some grated cheese (thanks again to Leanna’s – 25rmb for 250g!)

1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.

2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the cup of water, mix together w/ a wooden spoon til it starts to ball up.

3. Chuck some flour down on your counter. Knead the shit out the ball for 3 minutes. Keep flouring your hands/counter if it gets all sticky. Add more water if it’s too dry.

4. Roll er out into two thinnish round pizza bases. I used a wine bottle to do this. I drank the Merlot beforehand. Let the bases rest.

5. Dice up your tomatoes nice and small and put them in a pan. If using canned tomatoes, just dump em in there. I put a bit of that Merlot in as well along w/ the ketchup to thicken it up, some dried basil, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for ages so it gets all soft and squishy and saucey. Mash it up a bit with a fork for encouragement.

5. With a tiny bit of olive oil cook up your veggie toppings on low heat so they’re nice and warm and cooked through. Set aside.

6. Slick up your pan with olive oil. Toss your first pizza base down on there. Heat on med/low for about 8 minutes, or until bottom is golden and pizza is getting puffy.

7. Flip er around. Spread the tomato sauce on there, add your already-cooked toppings, your meat, and then lastly your cheese. Cover and leave on low heat for about 5 minutes or til cheese is melted. If your toppings are too thick your cheese may not melt very well so go easy on em.

8. Remove and serve!!! Repeat with the second base.

This was the perfect amount for a hungry Canuck and a iron-pumping Aussie. Only thing is next time I’d make the dough a bit thinner and have less toppings so the cheese melts through. Would also probs use a non-stick pan so it doesn’t get so oily. It’s a bit hard with our stove as well cuz the heat can’t really get that low – it’s either high, medium or off.

Here is a picture of the finished product:

pizza.jpg

looks amazing! moar cheese!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.