Living and Learning in Chengdu: Phase 1

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLiving and Learning in Chengdu: Phase 1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I have followed this excellent website with interest in recent times. I have found some really useful stuff – so thanks for that.

I plan to spend the months between this coming December and June next year in Chengdu. Basically the idea is to ‘throw the kitchen sink’ at learning decent Chinese and hopefully return to Australia with some kind of meaningful proficiency which I can build on from there.

The following is an email I sent to my friend is Chengdu with some inquirires I wanted her to follow up for me with the Chinese Corner language school. I was also curious to get your guys’ impressions of what is included and my rough plan. I really know nothing about how to go about doing this the ‘smart way’ and would appreciate the benefit of your obvious wisdom and experience. The issue of where, how and how long to study is issue one. In coming months, I also hope to get your opinion on some other matters for example where to live and places to travel around Chengdu etc. It would also be great to meet some of you when I finally arrive. But the main thrust of thigns at this stage is to learn as much Chinese as possible in the most effective manner possible. Check out the email below (I think all the relevant info is there) – any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Cheers, XBL.

I want to study from January (at the latest) right through until the end of May. We may spend some time travelling, maybe just a couple of weeks when you are free (in addition to weekends). But, as a minimum, I expect to be in Chengdu and having classes for a minimum of 16 weeks between the end of December and the end of May next year.

I am quite ambitious about the amount of classes I want to take each week during this period, but it depends on the capabilities and availablity of the teachers at Chinese Corner and what is realistic. For example, one idea would be to do 3 hours of classes every morning from Monday to Friday each week I am in Chengdu, for a total of 15 hours a week one-on-one with the teacher. The two issues with this are:

– Is it possible for a single, well-qualified teacher at Chinese corner to commit this much time to only one student?

AND

– Even if it is possible, would this volume of classes benefit my learning? Maybe 3 hours a day and 5 days a week is simply too much and I will become tired and not learn effectively. I would be curious to know what the the professional opinion is of the teachers at Chinese Corner on this issue.

I am also interested to know Chinese Corner’s opinion of what level of fluency I should realistically expect to attain after this period and intensity of study. This year I have spent two semesters studying beginners’ chinese at my local Australian university. By the time I arrive in Chengdu, I will have have finished the whole of “New Practical Chinese Reader Textbook” Book 1. I take my studies at university seriously and therefore should be familiar with the all the vocabulary, characters, and sentence structures contained in that book. In addition, I am also working my way through Assimils “Chinese with Ease’ Book 1 which I primarily use for its focus on organic learning through listening to the excellent dialogues on the CDs.

At this point, I think my vocabulary and command of grammar etc is quite good given my level but I am still not very confident about certain aspects of my spoken pronunciation and especially my ability to comprehend dailogues spoken at anything that approaches a native speed of conversation. Given this starting point, and assuming the study program I have suggested above (15 hours a week for 16 weeks one-on-one), what level of competency could I realistically expect to attain by the end of May? Further, in light of this, are there are any official chinese proficiency tests, certificate or qualifications which it may be appropriate for someone of level to aim to take/achieve by the end of May?

Finally, I would like to know if I can or should take steps to ‘reserve’ or ‘book’ with Chinese corner ahead of time to ensure they can accomodate my high-volume of lessons with the same teacher. The two issues here are:

– What kind of discount can Chinese Corner offer in light of the the high-volume of classes I intend to take over a significant length of time; and

– Irrespective of the price, should I (or do I need to) pay any kind of deposit in order to ensure that when I arrive in January the teacher and class-time is ‘reserved’ for me.

Participant

hey XBL. I used Chinese Corner when I arrived in Chengdu.

-Don’t get into paying deposits before you arrive. There’s allot of people here and other places available to teach you, and from the hours you’re considering I guess they will be pretty flexible about giving you what you want.

– My experience is that teacher supply at Chinese Corner is somewhat more fluid than maybe you’re expecting. In 3 months I had 3 different teachers provided to me, I also wanted one to one sessions. All three of my teachers were in fact part time, and post grad (in Chinese) students at the local universities.

-In respect of your comments about local speed and dialogues, I guess you know the difference between putonghua and sichuanhua? I find it quite difficult getting far with my, admittedly basic, putonghua.

-Your hours don’t sound like too much, some people study ‘full time’ at the universities.

Thanks BC.

You’re right, the whole deposit thing was a bad idea and I have cooled on it. I was just a bit too keen to have something organised before I arrived, as basically I’m desperate to make the most of the limited time I have in Chengdu and ‘break the back’ of learning Chinese. I’m in a situation where, relatively speaking, my problem is more so my lack of time rather than money. I am prepared to pay if it means I will have quality tuition.

Who else have you guys used to learn Chinese in Chengdu? I have cooled a bit on Chinese(Mandarin)Corner. If anyone knows of a quality private tutor I would definitely follow it up.

I am aware of the dialectical issues. I spent 10 days in Sichuan in April. My understanding is that the tutors in Chengdu (at least the decent ones) are quite strict and disciplined about their students using proper putonghua pronunciation (e.g. not sliding into a sichuan accent). Also I will be living with my friend who is very well educated and speaks mandarin with no accent.

Again, any thoughts or referrals will be taken seriously and greatly appreciated.

XBL

In Sichuan university (in Chengdu , very famous),there is a major called foreign Chinese,that means teaching chinese as a foreign/sencond language .Maybe you can find a teacher there.

Participant

I learned my Chinese pickin’ up girls at bars / clubs, ones not frequented by foreigners where you’re kind of forced into a situation where you have a lot of incentive to really pay attention and figure things out 😉

Participant

XBL. I’ve PM’d you to give you a referral. I can put you in contact with a good private tutor

I’d suggest to you or anyone, try to arrange to meet as many potential teachers a you can when you arrive.

I don’t think most people plan too far in advance, so meeting then starting immediately I’m sure won’t be a problem, even for the hours you’re considering.

@Rick in China

I have always found your method the most beneficial. I did three countries in 5 years and learned intermediate Indonesian and Korean and basic Vietnamese.

To learn a language requires motivation. Sometimes the best motivation originates below the waist.

Participant

If yer not a pimp like Rick and Kopi, check ouot the Chinese classes advertised on the home page (bottom right ad) of the site. i took classes there for a bit and it helped. They also offer HSK testing classes: Mandarin Club

Keymaster

I tried out Chinese Corner last winter, it was alright. In my opinion Mandarin Club was superior (which is why I decided to host their ad here). They’re qualified, friendly, and conveniently located.

Regarding learning Chinese, different people excel under different conditions so it depends on what kind of learner you are. Check out our posts on Learning Chinese though, whether you get a Chinese girlfriend or are studying in university there are a lot of small adjustments you can make that will have a dramatic impact on your progress.

Participant
    Quote:
    If yer not a pimp like Rick and Kopi, check ouot the Chinese classes advertised on the home page (bottom right ad) of the site. i took classes there for a bit and it helped. They also offer HSK testing classes: Mandarin Club

🙂 this made me laugh.

Would very much like to learn some Chinese. Am slowly checking out all the advice on the forum and have downloaded a couple of basic lessons for my MP3 player. Will also check out Mandarin club.

I do feel that I would benefit from some private tuition however. If anyone has learned of any good tutors, or classes, or has any other advice in the meantime, I would love to hear from you.

I know this thread dates back a bit.

Cheers muchly,

Sandi

Participant

There’s a company that trains Chinese to teach Chinese and often they’re looking for foreigners to attend their class (1 on 1). It’s a 2 hour class and free for the first 10 or 20 lessons. then you can either choose to continue with pay or bring someone else and you get more free lessons.

Although for most (if not all) of the teachers it’s their first time they teach, but because of it they prepare it really well with a ppt. You’re only asked to fill out a form at the end of the lesson to tell them what to improve.

I quite enjoyed it when my universty hadn’t started yet.

Their qq is 2513129858, it’s called IMCPI and it’s at renmin nan lu 3 duan 人民南路3段

Participant

Thanks a lot, Vincent.

Sounds pretty good. Will check it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.