Living/Teaching in Chengdu?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLiving/Teaching in Chengdu?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I am wondering what experiences you guys have for living/working in Chengdu? I am thinking of a position with a Golden Apple (any reviews?) and need to know any things to expect while living in Chengdu and hope anyone can share their life experiences of work and life after work?

Also, was it worth it in the long term to leave your home country (mines is US) to teach english?

Thank you ahead of time!

J

Keymaster

I’ve known a few people who worked at Golden Apple and they had good things to say about it. They pay more than the average teaching position, from what I understand.

Hard to say if it’s worth coming to China for you without any information. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Participant

Well anything really? Like what to expect, cultural shock, roaches (?) rats (?) and what not. The good and bad.

What is this ‘black market?’ that i read about? Seems very fishy/underground.

Keymaster

Expect to be culturally shocked since China has it’s own history, culture, habits, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Roaches – they exist!

Rats – they also exist!

The same rules apply as anywhere else with regard to these two: keep your kitchen clean, don’t leave food lying out, and don’t wait too long to take out the trash.

There are many black markets in China.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.