Locating international produce/food, if possible?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLocating international produce/food, if possible?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

It’s been two months and I am dying to cook food from home, Mexican food. There are a couple of items that I have not seen, and do not think I can find, but I would like to ask anyway. Fresh jalepeños? Limes? I’ll settle for bottled lime juice also. Pinto beans? I have my mother sending me some items from the states, but it would be nice to see if Chengdu had any of these! I have asked Peter’s about buying from them, but I saw that their jalepeños are canned as well.

Keymaster

The first places that I would check are:

– Ito Yokado in Chunxi Lu

– Isetan in Chunxi Lu (these two are right next to eachother)

– Sabrina’s Country Store on Kehua Bei Lu

I assume that Carrefour won’t have this, although the imported foreign food section is worth checking if you haven’t already.

Participant

Japepenos… Not sure. But there’s an insane number of spicy peppers in Chengdu!

Limes, Ole

Bottled Lime Juice, Ole and Wanda.

Pinto Beans, I believe you can buy canned ones in Chicony as well as Ole.

About Ole, it’s super expensive… You’ll be paying 38 kuai for a can of Campbells soup for example.

I was thinking of writing up a supermarket shopping 101 in chengdu thread, but haven’t gotten around to it yet…

Sweet, thanks!

I’ve checked Auchan so far and Sabrina’s as well. I’ll check the others you mentioned this weekend.

Eric- sweet. Any chance of an address or area where Ole is? At this point I am willing to pay loads for the ability to re-create dishes from home! I’m thinking I’ll also ask my ma to send some pintos as well, as canned won’t do the trick for what I’m imagining in my head:(

A supermarket 101 guide sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was thinking of writing up a supermarket shopping 101 in chengdu thread, but haven’t gotten around to it yet…

Do that! I’d be interested to read it.

another place to buy fresh western ingredients (ie iceburg lettuce, asparagus, turnips, fresh and smoked salmon, fresh lobster, oyster, clams, crocodile, yes crocodile, sour cream, anchowi, and others) is called Qing Shi Qiao. Very close to Chun Xi Lu.

I’m going there soon for some fresh shrimps, fish and escargot(live).

Please let me know if anyone is interested to come along.

Or maybe we can have another dinner meetup at one of the small seafood restaurant nearby.

I also found a fruit wholesale market where you can buy avacados, blueberries and other rare fuit.

another place to buy fresh western ingredients (ie iceburg lettuce, asparagus, turnips, fresh and smoked salmon, fresh lobster, oyster, clams, crocodile, yes crocodile, sour cream, anchowi, and others) is called Qing Shi Qiao. Very close to Chun Xi Lu.

I’m going there soon for some fresh shrimps, fish and escargot(live).

Please let me know if anyone is interested to come along.

Or maybe we can have another dinner meetup at one of the small seafood restaurant nearby.

I also found a fruit wholesale market where you can buy avacados, blueberries and other rare fuit.

I also found a place where you can buy bags of ice cubes if anyone’s hosting a house party.

I also found a place where you can buy bags of ice cubes if anyone’s hosting a house party.

you should try Metro.

you should try Metro.

Participant

Qing Shi Qiao… MY NEXT GROCERY SPOTT CRESSS TELL ME MORE TOMORROW ASKHFLAKHFAKSJG

im salivating already.

Participant

Qing Shi Qiao… MY NEXT GROCERY SPOTT CRESSS TELL ME MORE TOMORROW ASKHFLAKHFAKSJG

im salivating already.

Participant

Here is the info for Ole.

Ole Supermarket

10am-10pm

Wan Xiang Cheng, B106

万象城B106

028 6212 7768

The original source I found out about this is on More Chengdu.

http://www.morechengdu.com/venue/shopping/supermarket/venue-2455-close.html

In terms of food, I find this site much more valuable than Gochengdoo which is pretty much filled with paid ads. I’ve found a ton of tiny gems!

Participant

Here is the info for Ole.

Ole Supermarket

10am-10pm

Wan Xiang Cheng, B106

万象城B106

028 6212 7768

The original source I found out about this is on More Chengdu.

http://www.morechengdu.com/venue/shopping/supermarket/venue-2455-close.html

In terms of food, I find this site much more valuable than Gochengdoo which is pretty much filled with paid ads. I’ve found a ton of tiny gems!

Participant

What we need is a “Chengdu Yellow Pages”.Any astute business people out there?

Participant

What we need is a “Chengdu Yellow Pages”.Any astute business people out there?

Cress- that sounds awesome. Thanks so much. I would be interested in going with you, as I am still learning my way around!

Eric- thanks for the address!

Ravi- come pick me up on your next trip out!

Cress- that sounds awesome. Thanks so much. I would be interested in going with you, as I am still learning my way around!

Eric- thanks for the address!

Ravi- come pick me up on your next trip out!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.