Looking for clubbing buddies.

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLooking for clubbing buddies.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

Am Chinese F/21. Studied in England and was a solo backpacker. I am gonna start working in Chengdu in mid August. I am very open-minded and sociable, not very hardcore when it comes to binge drinking.

Get in contact if you wanna tear up a few dance floors or just chill and have a nice chitchat.

Feel free to friend me on Facebook or email: [email protected].

P.S. I went to Oxford Uni but dropped out eventually so not a nerd for sure.

XX

Participant

Dropping out of uni is cool these days?

Participant

Somewhat, but among the more hipsterish crowd–though most I know returned after a few years (or plan on it). People question what the hell they are doing and need time off to find a direction, but maybe that’s because I went to a liberal arts college I assume such things. I am one of them, but am returning to college in Chengdu.

Participant

I was doing a four-year course. By the time I realized that I wasn’t into research or banking, it was too late to transfer. Since I had to take a year off anyway, I decided to do some internship and travel a bit.

Personally speaking, a maths degree from Oxford was a golden ticket but not anymore.

I know what I am doing and I think dropping out before having a better plan is stupid. There’s nothing cool about it. Coolness is temporary but being an independent thinker is a lifelong quality.

Keymaster

Sent you a PM. There are a few cool spots to check out in Chengdu, including clubs, although I’m guessing the majority won’t be to your taste if you’ve been to clubs overseas (especially in England). Xiong Mao is good times when there’s a guest performance there but most of the other best places to hang out in Chengdu are more low-key than proper clubs.

Quote:
    Coolness is temporary but being an independent thinker is a lifelong quality.

Well put!

Participant

@Shiya Unfortunately it took me 5 years to arrive at the same conclusion. Then again in 2007 banks were still paying bonuses and actual studying time at my school was limited to a succinct month before finals.

Participant

So are there any clubs that play dubstep (not just Skrillex, who is terrible), drum and bass, trance, etc and the focus is on the dancing? Like there are b-boys everywhere, there has to be housers in Chengdu, right? Though if none of their music is played in the clubs, then they probably keep to themselves.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    So are there any clubs that play dubstep (not just Skrillex, who is terrible), drum and bass, trance, etc and the focus is on the dancing? Like there are b-boys everywhere, there has to be housers in Chengdu, right? Though if none of their music is played in the clubs, then they probably keep to themselves.

Xiong Mao is the place you’re looking for. Most of the drum & bass or dubstep shows at Xiong Mao are Disco Death.

Quote:
    Coolness is temporary but being an independent thinker is a lifelong quality.

顶!

Quote:

Xiong Mao is the only thing that comes close, but dancers don’t show up there that often. I’ve asked a few dancers at some of the local studios and they say that they don’t really have a regular spot. Hiphop is still pretty scarce except maybe when Charlie is on the decks, house even less so. The hipsters like to headbang and jump around to dubstep and DnB though.

I think Xiong Mao has the potential to develop into a great dance club; it just needs to promote to the right crowds.

You can have your buddies anytime. Just contact your friends. 🙂

Participant

I’m soo old.. What is the proper ‘clubbing’ attire? For old geezers with a round one pack belly, will a tight Tee do the job? Mid riffs on a buddha belly!!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m soo old.. What is the proper ‘clubbing’ attire? For old geezers with a round one pack belly, will a tight Tee do the job? Mid riffs on a buddha belly!!!

Here’s a rough guide to clubbing gear for men in China that will get you started. This is for summer 2012:

– Pre-worn jeans, preferably with factory-cut holes in them

– Polo shirts with loud patterns, collar popped

– White belt, or black/brown belt with oversized and/or bedazzled belt buckle

– Louis Vuitton purse/wallet

– Luxury brand sneakers (LV, Prada, etc). Absolutely no Nike, Adidas, or any sneakers actually intended for physical activity. Extra points if you have BMW brand shoes on

– Cigarette hanging off your lip. Name brand, expensive cigarettes or go home (Zhonghua, Yuxi, etc)

– A general look of indifference

Hope this helps

Participant
    Quote:
    Louis Vuitton purse

What’s with the purse?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    What’s with the purse?

It’s like a womans purse, except for men. Also known as a man bag.

Looks like this:

manbag.jpg

And is carried around like this:

manbag2.jpg

Participant

Also I don’t get the emphasis on the brands and logos; it’s as if they matter more then the aesthetics. Are people seen as being fashionable simply for adhering to certain brands? The list strikes me more as trying to look like you have social status then trying to look good (though I admit the two often overlap).

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Also I don’t get the emphasis on the brands and logos; it’s as if they matter more then the aesthetics. Are people seen as being fashionable simply for adhering to certain brands?

Yes. Wearing expensive brands is communicating status in China. It’s the modern, urban version of having an overgrown pinky nail which demonstrates that you aren’t a laborer. Foreign luxury brands are the go-to way for men and women in Chinese society to demonstrate value. It’s the opposite of culturally advanced cities like NYC or San Francisco where the person sitting next to you in a coffee shop wearing jeans and a t-shirt could be a billionaire or a college student. They have nothing to prove, but China very much has something to prove – not only to the rest of the world, but to each other, inside China.

Not just China is like this, also Korea, Japan, etc. These are now primary markets for foreign luxury brands in the post-2008 world economy.

Quote:
    The list strikes me more as trying to look like you have social status then trying to look good (though I admit the two often overlap).

In mainstream Chinese society, demonstrating social status is looking good in China. That’s why there’s a BMW store that sells sweaters, golf cleats, and ridiculous things that do not sell in any other country.

Demonstrate these “means” in a Chinese club and you are “the man”.

Participant

Could have sworn long nails for pinky means that they dig their noses.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Could have sworn long nails for pinky means that they dig their noses.

It proves that you aren’t plowing fields, because an elongated pinky nail would never survive under those conditions. Somehow, the fact that having to assert this in the first place makes you a bumpkin is lost on them, though.

你为什么从牛津辍学?到牛津花了多少钱?他们给了你毕业证 吗??:(

It is like this in every major city across the world, even NY and SF.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.