Swimming Pools for Exercise?

HomeForumsIn ChengduSwimming Pools for Exercise?

• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoRay.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

does anybody know a good or reasonable swimming pool for a little swimming exercise? are there any hotel pools that are open to public? looking for a normal square pool, hopefully not too busy

Participant

for public pools, try the Mengzhuiwan pool, just under the TV tower but on the inside of the river. It has several large sports pools, and is heated in winter. Not expensive. 猛追湾游泳池

Hotel pools are often open to public, but membership can be expensive. But you often get spa use and fitness use included. Try any large hotel in your area…

Keymaster

Almost all indoor pools in Chengdu will probably be for exercise, so I would look for any that are indoor. I believe there’s one on First Ring Road (just East of Machu Picchu) with swimming lanes for exercise. Outdoor pools will be closing soon, I imagine.

Participant

the swimming pool near machu picchu is very overcrowded. sometimes 14 people in one lane. plus it costs 50 rmb for 2.5 hour, therefore i am looking for a better one. are there hotels that just offer a pool membership?

Participant

the problem is not to find an indoor pool, but a heated one. Most pools get extremely chilly in winter! Have you tried the pool near/in Europe City? I heard good stories about it.

Participant

The Jinjiang hotel is the best deal for a hotel pool.  It is 48 RMB per person and there are usually only a few people there.  Not an olympic sized pool though.  The Shangri La hotel has the nicest pool in the city although to join as a member of their health club, it is quite expensive.  There is a new gym in the IFS building that has a large square pool.  My wife was just there and we are still negotiating with the gym.  Right now the offer that they gave us is 4400 RMB for 20 months for the gym and the pool.  They also have a hot tub, steam room and sauna.

Keymaster

Right now the offer that they gave us is 4400 RMB for 20 months for the gym and the pool. They also have a hot tub, steam room and sauna.

Sounds like a good deal!

Participant

That’s per person, still negotiating for a couples rate.  Most of the gyms in Chengdu offer 20-30% off if you join with another person.  If anyone is interested, i’ll let you know how much they want for couples.

Participant

@Coryg: is this gym part of a hotel? I asked at IFS and they told me the only gym is Physical, on the 6th floor, which I attend.

Participant

This gym is called 伯尼 (rough translation is Burning gym or something like that).  I haven’t been there yet but my wife was looking at it last week and she claims it was in the IFS building.  She sent me 20 photos of the place and it looks pretty nice.

Participant

@coryg: yeah, it’s this place.
    http://m.bonisport.com/
    Close to Tai Koo Li

Participant

I just looked at Burning Gym.  It is nowhere as nice as Physical although it is a lot cheaper.  It is an awkward setup though.  The pool is in a separate building so if you want to go swimming after your workout you need to go to the locker room and change, then leave the building  and enter the building next door.   Pool is not that big but big enough to do laps.  You can pay for just the pool if that’s what your looking for.

Participant

Physical will be opening a second branch in Raffles centre very soon. Word is that it’s gonna be bigger and better than the ifs one.

Participant

Did they tell you if they think it will be finished this year?  I liked Physical but it is a bit far from me.  Raffle center is down the street from me.  Thanks

Participant

I believe it was originally scheduled to open in August, and I was told “about two months more” back then. Im hoping it opens soon cos it’s also in my neck of the woods..

Participant

There is a nice indoor and outdoor pool at Club Le Parc, close to the No 1 hospital.

Participant

the burning gym is actually in the ATRIUM building. it looks brand new and the swimming pool is 20 meters long and max. 1.6m deep. i could buy a card for 3600 a year which allowed me into the pool twice a week. the sauna is very small, next to the showers and toilets. not a good deal i thought. i chose legend fitness (behind kempinsky). they had a temporary offer: 3200 rmb for 2 years unlimited access to the pool (25m.).

thanks for all suggestions

Participant

Just an update on the new gym at Raffles. I’m hearing October 18 as the opening day.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.