Magic: The Gathering (get your dork on)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMagic: The Gathering (get your dork on)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Like many other 12 years olds at the time, I got into Magic the Gathering cards in the late 90s. 11 years later some buds from Providence RI and I started playing again at some draft tournaments.

Anyhow, I brought back about 1000 cards with the intentions of making decks for casual beer-fueled matches. My room mates already seem down (apparently MTG has also infiltrated Argentina and Japan)

Hopefully later down the line we can get a few people into it and make a weekly get-together and perhaps order some boxes of cards from Taobao.

I’m also looking for Chinese cards as it is a fun medium to practice reading characters.

Keymaster

I played Magic in summer camp in 1994. I remember it being good times so I’d be down to play sometime. You’re back in town now, yeah?

Participant

Word. Yep I got back last night after a 30 hour day. Jet lag has got the best of me for the time being.

I have been playing MTG for the longest time when I was still living abroad and gave up with it when I migrated here. There is very few market, or the one I know, in the area. Anyone know any underground playing site?

Maybe I would go to hobby shops who sell cards and check with them if they know of any playing arenas.

I have been playing since the 6th edition and I am not that familiar with the editions now, though I would start reading up online to keep me updated.

Participant

Mike do you live in Chengdu? I haven’t seen any hobby shops that offer cards. I think downloading jpg files and printing them out would work just fine for rares.

You can play magic online if you have a pc but they charge a monthly fee.

If you are in Chengdu I have a decent sized collection of cards and would be down to play sometime over tea/beer.

Participant

I will for sure bring my collection to here next time I visit my home country. That won’t be until december though. Seems difficult to get hold of MTG cards in english around here?

Participant

Sweet, I’ll be here. Actually I’d like to get some MTG cards in Chinese, a good way to practice reading, although the names of spells aren’t probably useful in day to day conversation.

Have you played that game 三国杀? All the middle school kids seem to like it. Although it looks kind of lame I’m still tempted to buy a pack and give it a shot.

Keymaster

Elias is the first person I’ve run into in China who has Magic cards. I searched on Taobao after meeting up with him and playing a few games and all the cards that are available (there aren’t many that I could find) are in Chinese. Strange, I figured there would be some Chinese entrepreneur who’d make sets of like 10,000 replica Magic cards and sell them cheap overseas. Whoever did that would make a killing.

Participant

People just print out the rare cards, its called a “proxy”. But yeah, I’d be down to game again, I’ll trade you a deck if you can help me re-install wordpress 🙂

Keymaster

@Elias deal!

What I was thinking though with the cards is that you’d need someone to produce them to look and feel like the real thing. Playing with computer sheet printout cards kinda sucks. I don’t think it’d be difficult to find the same paper & gloss they use for the real thing to mimic the same thing though. If China can reverse engineer jet engines and bullet trains, I don’t think Magic cards should be an issue!

Participant

But no one really wants MTG cards like they want fake ipads. If you put a print out card in a plastic card sleeve you can barely tell the difference.

We should start occupying tables outside of jelly fish for the sole purpose of playing MTG. Culture jamming!

Participant

Resurrecting a dead thread: Last night we found a 7-11 that sells MTG Boosters of the new set and the 2012 core set. They are in Chinese so it will take a bit to figure them all out but its more fun than flipping through the boring black and white Beijing Language University Chinese textbooks.

Also, Dan Sandoval photographer for GoChengdoo and the “Nasty Eats” Columnist has a bit of a collection himself. It would be fun to play MTG on a monthly basis or something. Maybe at one of those upcoming board game bars.

He claims that there is a shop on Chunxi Lu that sells English cards Dan will confirm this on saturday.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Resurrecting a dead thread: Last night we found a 7-11 that sells MTG Boosters of the new set and the 2012 core set.

Right! I saw that also at 7-11 a few weeks and took a photo to tweet at you in Weibo. The tweet never happened. I thought it was strange that suddenly Magic: The Gathering cards were on sale in convenience stores (I assumed that Magic been on a downward trend of popularity since 1996). Anyway, cool.

Here’s that photo:

magic-cards.jpg

Participant

Cool I saw those packs at 80RMB its kind of high but thats the same in the states I guess about 12- $13 dollars. The boosters are 23RMB It was fun to break open the boosters and look for rares. This is going to be a FUN way to practice reading Chinese.

So yea offer is up for a monthly MTG shindig with Tea, maybe we can recruit some locals?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This is going to be a FUN way to practice reading Chinese.

Gonna be difficult! Props if you can pull it off, though. Probably a lot of words that you won’t see anywhere else. Unless you chat about goblins and wizards and shit in normal conversation.

Quote:
    So yea offer is up for a monthly MTG shindig with Tea, maybe we can recruit some locals?

Let’s hit up one of those board game bars.

Participant

I used to run a red/green deck and knew many creatures stats and quotes by heart. Obsessive. I’d be down to play as well, but I gave all my cards away to some disadvantaged kids (the one act of good will that i’ve been siphoning good karma from for the past 10 years). Funny how the nerds who play starcraft are the same nerds who play magic. WEIRD. lol

Quote:
    Unless you chat about goblins and wizards and shit in normal conversation.

That’s pretty much all I talk about. lol

Used to also play, but I’m wasting enough time playing SC as it is. If you guys do end up playing, I’d come to spectate just to be a part of the nerdy atmosphere.

Participant

By the way the new Innistrad set has double-sided cards! THIS adds a whole new twist on strategy.

Crazy how complex the game is now.

Hey when its comes to SC and magic its all about strategy nerdism is just one of the elements. well maybe half…

Board game bar here we come!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    By the way the new Innistrad set has double-sided cards! THIS adds a whole new twist on strategy.

How does that work – how can you even hold your cards so the other person doesn’t see them? Both people have to be using double sided cards, right?

Participant

Basically there is a proxy card that you use in its place. The proxy has a list of all the double sided cards and you mark it with a pen to signify which one it represents. Then once the proxy comes into play you swap it with the double-sided card from your sideboard. Check out a list of the new rules here:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/157a

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.