Magic: The Gathering (get your dork on)

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMagic: The Gathering (get your dork on)

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m serious about starting a monthly draft tournament. We would do 2 packs of the 2012 core set and 1 Inistrad or vice versa. So for a draft tourney, we’d need to learn the cards in Chinese. Which isn’t that hard you can practice with websites such as: http://www.magicdraftsim.com/ And we can have a laptop handy for any card lookups. The fun thing about draft is that you have to make up a deck on the spot so there is heaps of strategy and you can make good decks with simple cards. But before this happens lets just get together sometime next week at a boardgame bar or someone’s apartment and play a few pre-constructed decks.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    for a draft tourney, we’d need to learn the cards in Chinese. Which isn’t that hard you can practice with websites such as: http://www.magicdraftsim.com

How can you use this site to practice in Chinese?

Participant

You practice drafting 2012 and Innistrad and you can learn the abilities of the most common cards through repetition. I did a few draft tourneys from scars of mirrodin and was able to tell most of the abilities just by the art.

If you buy 1 booster and you can see what sorcery, instant, haste, trample etc. mean

Granted some of the artifacts and rare spells have a lot of text the actual meaning isn’t very hard when you recognize “target player” ” life points”

We could prepare the rundown of the abilities and have a comp on hand to look up.

The first draft won’t be easy but it will get better as we go on.

Just moved to Chengdu and would like to play some Magic. Any of you guys still playing?

Participant

I know a bunch of locals that play Magic. There are also tournaments at a lot of the Anime Conventions.

However, if you want to play English Magic, then I only know that 15 year old kids play them at the International Schools. I’ve heard that the English cards are very hard to obtain in Chengdu.

Ok thanks. I actually have about 8 decks with me. If anyone would like to play we can play with mine. For getting cards you can get booster packs from taobao in English and I’ve done this before. If we could get enough people we could even draft.

I live in Zhong hai in the north west. I can play here any evening during the week or could come into town on the weekend to play.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Ok thanks. I actually have about 8 decks with me. If anyone would like to play we can play with mine. For getting cards you can get booster packs from taobao in English and I’ve done this before. If we could get enough people we could even draft.

I live in Zhong hai in the north west. I can play here any evening during the week or could come into town on the weekend to play.

I played with Elias a few times and he left me with a single English deck. If you ever organize a game let me know and I can join and give you that deck because it’s of no use to me.

Participant

Sorry it took me so long to chim in, was backpacking thru Peru and Ecuador!

Bummer I missed you as I left China in August and we had a handful of folks that played MTG. I left hundreds of cards with my friend and Bookworm writing group member Lindsay, PM me for her email address, and Dan Sandoval and his friends also play a bit. HOWEVER noone was keen on trying to get a draft going. It was pretty bad, my bro and I five-fingered so many packs in hopes of a Planeswalker much to the dismay of 7-11 managers. Anyways, I haven’t been playing much but I’m going to try to convince my friend back in Providence to go out for a GateCrash draft on weds.

May the Mana be with you,

ELias

Hi Elias,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll PMed you for emails. For playing just using with the decks I have would be a good start. Drafting would be fantastic but no necessary.

Tim

Keymaster

Are there any Magic players remaining in Chengdu? I’m working on a project that’s related to this and am interested in finding some local players to learn more. I recently found that you can get English language Magic cards on Taobao for very cheap, also. Example on Taobao

Participant

I don’t play Magic but I had -for a long time- been pondering the idea of playing the football (or soccer if you wish) card game that can be found in the Raffles City games arcade.

Today I took the plunge and got bought some cards. It looks like great fun. Only problem with it is that you need to pay money every time you want to play. The machine does compensate you by giving you a new card every game (win or lose).

Keymaster

I don’t play Magic but I had -for a long time- been pondering the idea of playing the football (or soccer if you wish) card game that can be found in the Raffles City games arcade. Today I took the plunge and got bought some cards. It looks like great fun. Only problem with it is that you need to pay money every time you want to play. The machine does compensate you by giving you a new card every game (win or lose).

Can you explain how the game works? I’ve been to the video arcade at Raffles City but I don’t think I’ve seen that card game before. I do like the Mack Truck 18-wheeler racing game though.

Participant

I haven’t played it myself yet but I’ve stood there rudely staring for a couple of hours trying to work it out.

Here is what I have worked out so far:

Once you have a starter deck(40rmb) and some game tokens (different to the other machines, not sure how much they are) you can play a game. You put in a team name, select your badge and kit etc.

Your starter deck will usually be some pretty lame cards (players), but you’ll get the right cards to put out a proper team not just 11 goalkeepers. The cards have all the typical stats you would find on a top-trumps card so it’s pretty obvious what they are. Only parts of the cards themselves are in Chinese, some of it is in English.

It seems like you can play a game against a CPU a real person over the internet or someone sat next to you.

To play a match you place your players (cards) in the formation you want them to play on the table/field in front of you. When you play the game they move around themselves and you press the buttons to tackle, pass or shoot. You can change the formation during play too by just moving the cards around. You can also make substitutions. Each match lasts about 10 mins.

It also seems like after each match the machine spits out 1 random new card. In true collectible card tradition you can get different types of cards. White and black are common, the latter being slightly better. Silver is rare and gold is much rarer. Silver being recent legends like Beckham or Henry. Gold being old legends like Pele or George Best.

You can train your players after (or before, not quite sure) to improve them. The menus are all in Chinese so it’s difficult to know what your doing at this point. It’s unclear if it’s experience points or anything like that.

There are other factors in the game too, like attitude which declines if they play too much or get injured.

The website is It’s all in Chinese.

When I went there on Saturday I met a guy who said he would help me learn how to play sometime. I’m hoping to get down there sometime this week to try it out. Possibly Friday evening.

Participant

Sorry for necroing this thread but I’m really craving some Magic!

I know there are many stores to play at but sadly my working hours don’t allow for friday night magic anymore.

Is there anybody out there who is playing and interested in a cozy Gathering? I loved to play at pubs back home, maybe we can find a place here, or a tea house, or somebody’s huge appartment?

I brought quite a few decks, have four Commander decks, modern and standard I can also join but maybe not hand out much to others. And I love drafting with fun people.

Maybe we can start something here?

Participant

The latest southpark is about Magic. Sort of. It’s about Cock Magic. By which they mean roosters who play MTG, not penises that perform tricks, however there may be some confusion by some.

Check it out, really great episode.

Keymaster

The latest southpark is about Magic. Sort of. It’s about Cock Magic. By which they mean roosters who play MTG, not penises that perform tricks, however there may be some confusion by some. Check it out, really great episode.

I will download that. I think this season of South Park is the best I have seen, it’s hit after hit (Redskins, Uber, Freemium games, Gluten-free).

Participant

You’ll love it then, this has — in my opinion, been the best episode this season yet..by far. It starts off slow for a south park, but when it starts kicking up steam it doesn’t quit. It’s one of my favourites by far, in fact, I didn’t instantly delete it and actually watched it twice.

I still haven’t deleted it and might watch it a third time. 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.