Looking for Mandarin Classes

HomeForumsIn ChengduLooking for Mandarin Classes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, I just moved to Chengdu recently and I need to start learning the language. Other than hanging out with the locals and trying to pick up a few phrases here and there, I would like to start taking intensive classes. I’m looking for recommendations on good language schools, but I haven’t found any info in the archive of this forum so far.

I would prefer 1-on-1 classes, 4-5 times a week, in the evenings. I was told this might cost about 100 / hour – is that accurate?

I can see there are plenty of schools that offer classes, I guess I just want to find out which are the best ones. Any ideas?

And I might be asking for too much now, but my office is located at the Incubation Park (metro stop) so some location considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    Darius

Participant

Darius,

I returned to Chengdu a year ago and like you I wanted to get in some Mandarin lessons when I wasn’t working. I have one-on-one classes at the Mandarin Club and they are to my liking. Also, their school is near the Tongzilin Metro stop on the number one line in the south of the city, so their location may be convenient for you.

I will sign on with them again this year. I have found them to be a big help. They are flexible with arranging classes to your schedule. The 100 RMB/hour (or thereabouts) for private lessons does seem accurate.

Check ’em out.

http://www.mandarinclub.net

Warm regards,

Tommy

Participant

Thanks for the tip Tommy. I’ll get in touch with the Mandarin Club. Their website does show some interesting options for learning different types of Mandarin.

Participant

Many schools offer discounts if you buy lots of hours in bulk.

I’ve never paid as much as 100rmb per hour. Some schools would go down to 70rmb (or less) per hour depending on the number of hours you purchase at once.

Obviously you need to consider the quality too, and most schools will offer a 1hr trial class for free so you could take advantage of this to check which offers the most professional teaching.

Participant

Hey Darius,
    I agree with Tommy, Mandarin club is good, but like alan says the more hours you buy the cheaper it is, i think if you buy 50 hours at mandarin club it works out to be about 75Rmb an hour.

Good luck with the fun a and frustration of learning mandarin 🙂

Participant

I went to the Mandarin Club today and I’ll have my first “demo lesson” on Saturday so I’m looking forward to see how it goes. Thanks for advice guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.