Maternity Hospitals in CD?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMaternity Hospitals in CD?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone have a baby lately here in CD? and any recommendations?

I know Huaxi is considered very good, but I’m thinking more along the lines of a private hosptial and/or international, if there is one.

In Huayang there is a Maria Tianfu Chengdu Woman and Children’s Hospital…?

Participant

If you’re in the Chengdu Dads group it’s a good place to ask – if not, suggest joining.. can send me a message if you want an invite. There are about 100 fathers many of which went thru the process here, good trove of information/support.

Participant

Thanks Rick,

Sent a message this morning.

Keymaster

Check out this place: Angel Hospital. They have a Western doctors there.

Participant

Hey Charlie,

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2016/05/03/china-launches-baidu-probe-after-the-death-of-a-student/

Just found this.

My wife alerted me to a group out of Fujian Province, called Putian Group.  Apparently this has been all over the news the last couple of days. It’s a group of wealthy people that buy private hospitals and clinics and such and turn some of them into “international” hospitals.

It made the news recently (CCTV and the rest) because one of their hospitals claimed they cooperated with Stanford Uni (U.S.) and claimed they can heal cancer. Some young fella had cancer and spent lots of cash and it turned out being fake, and he died.

Stanford denied being a part of this group. I am sure some already realize the “INTL” anything here can be bullshit.

They have over 8000 private hospitals in China.  In Chengdu the Maria Tianfu Womens and Childrens Hospital, the Angel Hospital, and Aurora Dentist are on the list.

I can actually attest to the b.s. at Aurora. Had an impacted molar, and they could not get it out, they broke the top half of the molar off, but left the rest in.  And, the really annoying part besides the incredible pain I went through, and still have at times, the doc was in a damn rush(even though it took hours) because there were other patients waiting!!!  And, no foreign dentists there, even though they told me they had….I remember getting the info from this site and talking to a nice fella that worked there, and put out info on here. I believe u might have gone there charlie as well, dont remember the details now. Was last year.

Anyhoo, wifey just told me there are over 50 of these hospitals connected to this group in CD.

So what does all that mean?  Not sure, and not sure re: Angel.  From the reports perhaps some or all of the doctors are of good quality, but what they claim or advertise can be fake…

Kinda sounds like International anything with education, eh?

Participant

There is a VERY large women’s and children’s hospital to the west of the no 3 ring road that I gather is generally considered the place to go by the Chinese (my stepdaughter went there for a C-section and had no complaints – 2 patients to a room). It’s the no 1 maternity hospital for Chengdu so shouldn’t be difficult to locate.

I would tread with caution as far as “private” hospitals are concerned as they may be more motivated by the potential profit and “international” hospitals (clinics) may not be blessed with the same levels of expertise and equipment that is available in the 1st tier hospitals who charge a fraction of the price. While you might find that the smaller hospitals are less crowded, in my experience English speaking Chinese doctors are not uncommon.

Keymaster

They have over 8000 private hospitals in China. In Chengdu the Maria Tianfu Womens and Childrens Hospital, the Angel Hospital, and Aurora Dentist are on the list. I can actually attest to the b.s. at Aurora. Had an impacted molar, and they could not get it out, they broke the top half of the molar off, but left the rest in. And, the really annoying part besides the incredible pain I went through, and still have at times, the doc was in a damn rush(even though it took hours) because there were other patients waiting!!! And, no foreign dentists there, even though they told me they had….I remember getting the info from this site and talking to a nice fella that worked there, and put out info on here. I believe u might have gone there charlie as well, dont remember the details now. Was last year. Anyhoo, wifey just told me there are over 50 of these hospitals connected to this group in CD. So what does all that mean? Not sure, and not sure re: Angel. From the reports perhaps some or all of the doctors are of good quality, but what they claim or advertise can be fake… Kinda sounds like International anything with education, eh?

That is shocking to hear. I can clear up a few simple things though:

• Aurora definitely employs American dentists – I interviewed one of them for this website. We talked for an hour about Aurora and dentistry in China as it compares to the U.S. He was very frank, it was a good conversation. I have not published the interview, but I will do that, it may answer some of your questions. This particular dentist spent half of his time in Chengdu at Aurora and the other half at another practice in California.
    • Angel promotes one Canadian-trained doctor in particular, I have met him. You can see him on their website and in some of their promotional materials, although I haven’t had a long conversation with him about Angel or his work there, I do have the impression that he works there full-time in a director capacity of some sort. I don’t feel like there are many other expat doctors there (I’m not sure, though).
    Participant

Update on New Born Maternity Hospital near Swufe.

Similar to a foreign run hospital, in that u have ur own room with amenities. They still operate “chinese” with workers coming in every other hour to do “something” which isn’t ideal for a resting mother, but besides that quality is good. Wife was very pleased with the ER and Operating room care when she delivered…was almost shocked compared to our prior birth in a public hospital. Price is about 4 times more, but worth it for peace of mind and keeping ur wifey happy, imo.

One possible problem if you  cannot speak chinese, not really anyone speaking english, so for all the instructions and papers to be signed while your there, might be an issue.

One note, no extra charges that have been reported from other “private hospitals” except for one shady thing that they did right before wife was about to give birth. Unknown at this moment if they will still try to charge us.

So far, would recommend it over any other public hospital.

Update on New Born Maternity Hospital near Swufe.

My son was born at this hospital a couple of years ago. We had a similar experience to you. We were initially worried as my son was breech and so my wife had to have a c-section. However everything went fine and my son was born without incident.

One thing we liked about this hospital is that they promote natural birth and breastfeeding. My wife received a lot of support on how to breast feed and what to expect.

I found the constant interruptions post birth quite reassuring. Neither I nor my wife had any experience with babies before my son. Having someone pop in to check on us and teach about changing nappies, take the babies temperature, give tips on breastfeeding, etc. helped us relax.

Participant

My wife received a lot of support on how to breast feed and what to expect.

Great point Ben. Very useful if one has In-Laws and/or a wifey that may not believe they have the ability to breastfeed, in that perhaps they can “persuade” the old guard into catching up to modernity  :).

I also can see how being a first time parent the “pop-in” would be reassuring.  This was our second so my wife was a little irritated cuz she just wanted to rest. But overall she was very happy there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.