Anyone for a Game of Go/Weiqi (围棋)?

HomeForumsIn ChengduAnyone for a Game of Go/Weiqi (围棋)?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

Anyone here interested in meeting for a game of Go/Weiqi (围棋) once in a while? I used to play at a 4 Dan (Duan) level – but haven’t been playing for more then 5 years now…

Cheers; Fiete

Participant

Jeez dude, 4 Dan? That’s burly, I’m terrible so probably not much help, I’d be down to come by and watch though. How long did that take you?

Probably not what you’re looking for but I’ve seen impromptu games pretty regularly in People’s Park, usually old Chinese guys but they seem to be into it..

Participant

Hi Liam,

thanks for your reply. I kinda started playing Go when I was 15 (20 years ago). In 2005 I visited Chengdu – and studied Go for one year at the Sichuan Weiqi Association + private teacher. But since then I haven’t been playing a lot (hardly at all)…

“I’ve seen impromptu games pretty regularly in People’s Park, usually old Chinese guys but they seem to be into it…”

Yeah… I have watched some of them play. But not really what I am looking for. Rather have some “private” games at a quiet teahouse – or at my place. Playing outside can get quite competitive – often turning into “China” against “The Laowai” games – with 20 people standing around you and discussing the game… 😉

How long have you been playing? You started playing Go/Weiqi in China? Well – if I happen to find somebody to play with – I will drop you a message…

Cheers; Fiete

Participant

I’ve only really played around on my phone, I’ve seen the guys in People’s Park play but similar to your response, the attention often shifts from the game to me and I feel a little uncomfortable. It’s a really fascinating game but I’m sure there are 10 year old Chinese kids that could beat me. Thanks for the info on the Sichuan Weiqi association, I’ll look that up and maybe take a class there to get my skill level up a little bit. Definitely drop me a PM if you find a person to play with, it’d be cool to see a real game played.

Participant

4 dan? You rock man i never made it. Granted i am mahjong guy.

Om a side note, anyone know any place in Chengdu with Riichi mahjong (Japanese version)? Sichuanese is too easy for me.

Participant

Liam, I am new to this forum. As I don’t seem to figure out how to send you a private message – I will just do it here…

“It’s a really fascinating game but I’m sure there are 10 year old Chinese kids that could beat me.”

Maybe even 5 year olds… I didn’t really have classes at the Sichuan Weiqi Association – but they helped me find a school, gave me some contacts, introduced me to a private teacher… I ended up having most of my classes at the “Children’s Palace”. Most students were between 5 – 12 years old. I guess by age 13/14 you are either a professional Weiqi player – and if not – you probably focus on the “gaokao” (<span class=”st”>college entrance exam)… When I started my classes I was already playing at a 2-3 Dan level – but nevertheless the first 3 months were kinda tough. People were wondering aloud why a foreigner would learn Weiqi (it being a Chinese game – and therefore I could never really be good at it). Whenever I lost – it proved their reasoning true – and when I won I was just lucky… After 3 months this stopped. Maybe I was commited enough, the ”laowai” novelty wore off – and for the rest of the year I was just another student, studying in class with the other kids, joking with them, taking part in some tournaments in Chengdu – and I definitely improved a bit…
    </span>

Drop me a PM – and we could meet at my place, a tea house or at the Machu Pichu (I think they have a board and stones there) for a little game some time…

Cheers…

Participant

4 Dan? cool!!

i have the chess board and pieces, but i just can paly Five in a Row.

when you want play i can take it.

If you can teach me to play Weiqi, that is too good.  really want study!

13880481898 shinichi

weixin:Shinichi_1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.