Metro Now Open to Longquan / Hiking

HomeForumsIn ChengduMetro Now Open to Longquan / Hiking

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last Sunday the metro finally opened to Longquanyi. There a lots of basic hiking routes around the mountain range near Longquanyi if anybody is interested give me a pm and I can show you some of the routes. Also if any other foreigners are living in Longquanyi drop me a pm as I feel like I’m maybe the only Lowai out this way.

Participant

Wait what they opened it at last? It wasn’t in the news…. Better late then never 🙂

Participant

I’ve heard that there are mountain bike trails on longquanshan, but that Chengdu won’t let you take a bike on the subway (stupid rule, like no eating) Anyone have any ideas on how to get uot there without having to hire a driver and pay a dump ton of cash?

Participant

Would love to know more about hiking in that area.

Any way it’s possible to share the hiking info here, so more people can learn and enjoy it?

Participant

I’ve heard that there are mountain bike trails on longquanshan, but that Chengdu won’t let you take a bike on the subway (stupid rule, like no eating) Anyone have any ideas on how to get uot there without having to hire a driver and pay a dump ton of cash?

The bike trails are for off road mountain bikes, but if you want to cycle up the mountain just follow the old Tibetian highway (G318)  a lot of people do it on the weekends they usually cycle the 18k from Chengdu.

Would love to know more about hiking in that area. Any way it’s possible to share the hiking info here, so more people can learn and enjoy it?

It’s difficult to map, because most places on google map are wrong.  I will try to make a couple of  maps with Baidu this week.  Also there are a couple of military bases in the area which you need to avoid.

Participant

you can rent/hire a “bread” van for about 200 kuai per day from around the city

also I’ve seen bicycles available to rent near longquanyi, not particularly good ones though.

Participant

I made a quick map last night of two routes… The red one is very short around 3k.  The blue route is a 16k round trip, but it has amazing views of Chengdu and the valleys on a clear day.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3qibaZyRURc.kLtNPS2EdtDM

Participant

I will try to add some pics

Participant

always ride bike to there

Participant

Am I the only one who noticed that sign that says “foreigners not allowed” on the road up Longquan Hill?

And Ian hiked right past the military bases 😀

Participant

There`s no such thing, everyone can go there

Participant

That sign is only for a restaurant.

Participant

Any idea / reason why a restaurant would forbid foreigners to eat there?

Participant

Old Temple and Alien Face

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3qibaZyRURc.kLtNPS2EdtDM

Local Hike

4k hike, but a little steep at the start… You will see a lot of people on this route on the weekends, because at the top is a small village where you can play Mahjong and go fishing.  At the back end of the hike you get great views of Baoshi Lake.  Beware the local GOV decided to put speakers on the route so on the weekend they blast out that crappy Chinese techno….  It’s best to go in the early morning on week days.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3qibaZyRURc.khls6H5N-tcg

20141006_182703

20141006_182656

20141006_181555

20141006_181148

20141006_180758

20141006_180746

Participant

Hey dawg, I went all the way to the last subway stop but couldn’t make it to the start of that route you show on the map.

They said that for a buss there I would have to wait many hours, and when I showed the taxi driver the map he said it would cost 50 rmb to get there.

I instead went on a route that’s close to the metro stop, but it was terrible, the standard stone staircase with loud music and too many people.

Participant

The 870, 872a and 872b run from 7am until 7pm every 15 minutes.  Who told you it would take many hours?

I did warn you about the music.

Participant

Thanks for the info. I went with a Chinese girl who doesn’t speak much English so I can’t ask her detailed information, but basically:

*We took taxi to bus station.

*We saw 2 busses 872a (or maybe it was b) but they were just standing there, we waited for 20 minutes, no sign of any drivers or anything , she asked a old man who was sitting in the buss and he told us the bus would go in 30 minutes.

*However strangely enough another buss with what I think was the same numbers suddenly went past, but I don’t understand why my Chinese friend didn’t want us to take that one, or why this parked bus was full with people just sitting around waiting.

So it’s a bit of a mystery to me.

Anyway indeed you did, which is why my goal is to make it to that alien route, I reeeeally want to go jogging instead of climbing narrow stairs.

anyone times for anyone interested:

from my metro station in slightly east chengdu to last stop: 31 mins

from last metro stop to buss station: 15 mins (we started walking at first then gave up and took taxi).

Participant

I can take you up to that route in the week and drop you off at the starting point, but only room for one on my scooter. Wednesday or Thursday am.

Participant

Thanks for the offer! Very kind of you.

However I work on weekdays, which is why in the long run I’m having loose plans of starting jogging there every saturday morning.

Participant

I went hiking there this weekend. If you follow the instructions provided by Ian and use your smart phone, you’ll find the bus stop to take you to the start point.

After arriving by Metro, we took a electric threewheeler to the street “Dashisan lu” and then figured out the bus stop location. Got on the bus, which was packed and wrote for a half hour or so to the village and got out on the corner of “east street”. The bus was only 1 RMB a person btw.

From the corner with east street, we continued with Ian excellent map instructions and started walking along east street.

The first half hour was kind of disappointing as your just walking along a village street with cars and trucks coming by. But after that your getting in the hills and the further you go the more pleasurable/peaceful it gets.

Stopped around the middle of the loop, right before the loop comes back to the “main road” and sat down at a local mahjang place to drink some tea. 2 RMB a glass with refills. Bargain compared to some tea in Chengdu.

Right before the first army base we got a bit confused as it looks when you walk up to it, that your walking straight on to the base. But you can pass along right in front of it. The security guard got nervous of seeing a laowai, but did nothing.

Continued in the direction of the “Alien face”, but got stopped by 4 (off duty) army guys, who were taking a stroll with their dog, a couple 100 meters before it.

So did not get to see the Alien Face.

@Ian
    : How close is this Alien face & ancient forest to that army base? I feel I was within 250-500 meter from the base.

Then proceeded with the loop back as instructed. Which was I think the nicest part of the whole trail. Very nice and peaceful. Had beautiful sunshine come through the clouds and light up the small cluster of houses.

Very enjoyable walk, spend a good 4 hour walking it. But that was with stopping and exploring some area’s. Climbed up through someones peach tree yard to find a path up a hill which I saw from a distance. Up between the tree’s could not find the path and returned back to the road to continue after a while.

And I would call it more of a walk then a hike as there is no “off-road” at all. It’s all on concrete roads/paths.

But very recommendable on a nice day. Had some cool views of the city in the distance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.