Mi TV 2: Any Feedback?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMi TV 2: Any Feedback?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I noticed Mi released their 2nd iteration of the MiTV, I’m spying the 55″ version with sound bar, looks like a good package: http://item.jd.com/1707419.html

I’d like to hear any feedback on the MiTV image/colour quality before buying one tho, wondering if any of you have seen or own one…

Thanks!

Participant

I recently found that Xiaomi have some kind of store in Chengdu nearby Auchan in the south. http://www.mi.com/c/xiaomizhijia/chengdu.html

Address: 成都市高新区盛和一路88号康普雷斯1栋1单元1309-1310号

Maybe you can check out the TV there.

The recently released MI TV 2S looks good, but the only model available is 48″.

I would be interested in seeing how Kodi runs on one of these things.

Participant

@niklas that’s very close to me, I’ll try to take a look as soon as it’s not pissing rain!

@Ben
    I didn’t notice that 2S – that’s weird that they put the 2 out in several models and the 2s only in 48″.

Upon looking it up on Mi’s site I found this comparison chart:
    http://www.mi.com/mitv48/specs/

Looks like the 2s doesn’t really offer any differences other than being thinner, but not so much thinner at the thickest part (where the main components are), where it’s just 1.2mm thinner. The weight of course, but that’s probably largely due to the size difference. When you said 2S I immediately thought “ah, now must wait…” but according to the specs on this chart, no reason to. I’ll try to look at one in person first, though!

I didn’t notice that 2S – that’s weird that they put the 2 out in several models and the 2s only in 48″.

Not familiar with the specs of the 2. What caught me eye with the 2s was this Engadget article which states it has “full, uncompressed YUV 4:4:4 color gamut at 4K and 60fps, a trick that only professional grade displays can normally pull off” and a “Bluetooth LE remote instead of the old infrared version, and should you lose it in your room, you can even tap the bottom of the TV to make the remote beep”. It’s also available with a wired sound bar and a bluetooth subwoofer.

“Bluetooth LE remote instead of the old infrared version, and should you lose it in your room, you can even tap the bottom of the TV to make the remote beep”

Oops, that is actually the 2. The 2s comes with a standard IR remote.

It looks like the real difference is the backlighting and the dimensions. So popping along to the store to check them out side by side sounds like a good plan.

Participant

A bit off topic, but since you guys also seem to be interested in Xiaomi products.. I read that there will some kind of keynote August 16th when Xiaomi Mi5 probably will be introduced along with other products. Anyone know if and where this can be streamed from?

Keymaster

I recently found that Xiaomi have some kind of store in Chengdu nearby Auchan in the south. http://www.mi.com/c/xiaomizhijia/chengdu.html Address: 成都市高新区盛和一路88号康普雷斯1栋1单元1309-1310号 Maybe you can check out the TV there.

I’ve been to this place, it’s a showroom with all of the Xiaomi products there to try out. I got a couple of the Yeelight smart lightbulbs off mi.com a while ago and had problems setting them up, so went there for help. They have their own version of an Apple Genius Bar there and can answer any questions that you might have.

The recently released MI TV 2S looks good, but the only model available is 48″. I would be interested in seeing how Kodi runs on one of these things.

Yeah, would be really nice to have that built in. The Xiaomi TV’s look really nice but I am completely spoiled by a projector.

Rick – Did you end up buying a Mi TV? I just noticed that they are now advertising a 60″ Mi TV 3 in their store for 4999RMB to be released Nov. 3rd.

Participant

@Ben
    That’s EXACTLY what I was waiting for. Reason:

The Mi2 didn’t fit nicely into the wall ‘socket’ I measured to fit a 55″ of a different spec sometime before, think it had to do with the ‘rock tiling’ stuff added on, so it would have had too much of a lip, because the back of the bottom of it has a bit of a curvature that sticks out whereas the smaller version has a perfectly flat edge which actually fits nicer, just, smaller. So since it had that ‘extra lip’, in addition with the fact I saw TVs constantly going down (including Mi2 55″ by about 200yuan) quite quickly, decided to wait for the next iteration.

I’m going to have to take a look at that as soon as I can – will see if they have anything on their site. The TV itself seemed great, minus the fact that the MiTV UI interface is exclusively Chinese (no English language option). My current Chengdu/GZ offices bought a bunch of MiTVs (49″ I think it was) for various display boards to hang up on walls, gave me a chance to play with the unit a bit and am definitely a fan.

Update:
    http://www.mi.com/mitv3/
    Ah, wonderful, that price also includes an improved sound bar. “It uses a single Mi Cable to connect to the soundbar that has all the ports and also the motherboard.” That sounds fuckin’ amazing, means just 1 cable to pipe behind the wall thing and into the bar, everything else will hook up behind the devices cabinet… Happy November, this’ll be ready to greet Fallout 4! The edges also appear perfectly flat, should fit nicely into my little socket with that thin lip beyond.

Keymaster

Happy November, this’ll be ready to greet Fallout 4! The edges also appear perfectly flat, should fit nicely into my little socket with that thin lip beyond.

Yes. Great combo, these two. If I were buying a TV I would get a Xiaomi. Hard to argue with that price and everything Xiaomi that I have used has been pretty great, I must say.

Participant

Pretty excited about the hardware in that bar. The specs are better than the regular Xiaomi Box and previous TVs’ built in “box”, and the remote got microphone and motion sensing. It’s obvious that they’re competing with the new Apple TV. Hope there will be some cool games etc for it.

Keymaster

Hope there will be some cool games etc for it.

I highly doubt there will be. The issue will be that there is no real incentive for developers to make anything for it because it will never net any revenue for them. In the case of the Apple TV it will also be difficult because the app store requires that developers add in support for the Apple TV remote which has the accelerometer and gyroscope. Hopefully it pans out but even that is a real gamble.

Participant

I highly doubt there will be. The issue will be that there is no real incentive for developers to make anything for it because it will never net any revenue for them. In the case of the Apple TV it will also be difficult because the app store requires that developers add in support for the Apple TV remote which has the accelerometer and gyroscope. Hopefully it pans out but even that is a real gamble.

Yea.. I don’t really get the Xiaomi store. They do have a store with some free apps and games but very limited. Would be cool if they had a bigger store similar to the scale of Google Play.

I have very high hopes on Apple TV. But yea the remote is really tricky I guess. Will be very interesting to see how that pans out. Hoping it’ll be a great success and the Android world(including Xiaomi) follow.

Keymaster

Yea.. I don’t really get the Xiaomi store. They do have a store with some free apps and games but very limited. Would be cool if they had a bigger store similar to the scale of Google Play. I have very high hopes on Apple TV. But yea the remote is really tricky I guess. Will be very interesting to see how that pans out. Hoping it’ll be a great success and the Android world(including Xiaomi) follow.

I think what Xiaomi has done up until this point is to either coerce free to play developers to jump on their platform with the hope of hooking users who download games for free… or they just outright are paying developers to release version of their apps on the Xiaomi app store. That is what Microsoft and Blackberry has done for years, since developers know there’s no virtually no chance of them being profitable on either of those platforms. There has to a be a critical mass of users which can potentially push a popular high in the charts to make a lot of money. But in the Xiaomi app store it seems that that possibility may just not be there, which means it’s unlikely to see an influx of good games. And honestly, all the games that we would want to play are Western games anyway, not 三国 or cartoon garbage which is the standard fare in China.

Participant

I heard it sold out in seconds. 🙁

Am in the ‘queue’ in JD or whatever.

Participant

so it looks like that you have made your decision? why don’t you consider  Mi TV2s?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.